Dog food shelf life

Fish 4-5

Dog food shelf life

Post by Fish 4-5 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:30 pm

The packages at the store seemed to indicate 10-12 months. Not sure so thought I would ask. I would think keeping dry food in a plastic container would help. Is anyone else storing food in containers for freshness ?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog food shelf life

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I was until my vet frowned on it. The stupid cat is on "special food " and the vet didn't want me to buy 2 bags at a time and keep it in a plastic container.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 pm

I only wish dog food would last long enough around here to worry about it's freshness!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Under dry conditions all of the food should last at least 6 months and if its cool probably would last a year. That said it would be better to use it within 3 months or so.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 am

The reason I ask is it may be cost effective to have it delivered in bulk rather than buy a bag each week or so.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:47 am

If you can use it within 3 months or so I would do it except in real hot weather. But yu do need a cool dry place to store it and you should be fine.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

MataPAto

Post by MataPAto » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:19 am

Glad I went in search of this topic so I didn't have to post a new one.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 am

If you store in plastic it should be food-safe and wash it from time to time because fat and plastic like each other chemically and you could get a very rancid container. It is also best to completely use the batch before adding the new bag. Don't store dog food in a plastic garbage can without a food-safe liner.

My anal retentive suggestion for the day. :D

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 am

mcbosco wrote:If you store in plastic it should be food-safe and wash it from time to time because fat and plastic like each other chemically and you could get a very rancid container. It is also best to completely use the batch before adding the new bag. Don't store dog food in a plastic garbage can without a food-safe liner.

My anal retentive suggestion for the day. :D
What is wrong with storing dog food in a plastic garbage can? Will the plastic leach a chemical in to the food or change the taste? I guess I will have to find a new way to store my dog food.

Hondo

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am

Yes actually they can and do. If you need that size storage just buy cheap food service bags and use as a liner. I bought a Vittles Vault at a garage sale.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am

Most of the minor ingredients that are used in manufacturing the food is kept in plastic garbage cans in the blending areas of most mills. We have never expreirence any problem with them. I use plastic containers for our dog and cat food. If you are concerned about it then I would recommend you put the feed bag in the contaner. The advantage of doing that is you keep the identity of the product in the container so it wouldn't get used improperly. But I wouldn't worry too much about keeping feed in plastic containers like it has been for years.

You have to understand though that keeping feed in the containers or their orginal bags will not protect them in warm damp conditions from becoming bug infested . There are certain mites and small bugs that can become a problem as the eggs are in the ingredients and will hatch and might become a problem this time of the year. I have a bag of bird seed that is infested now and had to discard a bag of chicken layer pellets that was purchased 4 months ago.

The important thing is to keep the feed in a tight container in as cool and dry environment as possible where it is the original bag, plastic container, or a metal one. We normally test the shelf life out to 6 months minimum but recommend the feed be used within 90 days if possible.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:04 pm

"Most of the minor ingredients that are used in manufacturing the food is kept in plastic garbage cans in the blending areas of most mills. We have never expreirence any problem with them"

Did the FDA inspector see? Perhaps they were approved for food storage?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 pm

mcbosco wrote:"Most of the minor ingredients that are used in manufacturing the food is kept in plastic garbage cans in the blending areas of most mills. We have never expreirence any problem with them"

Did the FDA inspector see? Perhaps they were approved for food storage?
Of course the FDA inspectors saw them and so did I. That's what we recommended to keep the ingredients in, a closed container to reduce any possibility of contamination. Most of the mills I inspected had them and if they didnt I probably wrote them up for not. Wasn't unusual to find 30 to 40 of them in the blending and storage areas. And most were 30 gallon garabage cans with lids that fit tight. Had a few that used metal drawers but they created a problem to clean. The biggest concern is that there be some kind of identification on each container that included the name and the Lot No, of the ingredient in the container.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 pm

I realize that my point is that only certain plastics are approved for food storage. Normal plastic trash cans are not made of "food-grade" plastic. Some are even PVC.

I am sure for industrial applications the right ones are available.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:29 pm

mcbosco wrote:I realize that my point is that only certain plastics are approved for food storage. Normal plastic trash cans are not made of "food-grade" plastic. Some are even PVC.

I am sure for industrial applications the right ones are available.

Food grade is for human food such as tupperware and those type of products and not for animal feed that I have ever heard of. We have plastic waters, feeders, dog dishes, and feed bunks and there is little problems with any of them.

Ezzy

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:45 pm

Gentlemen,
For the most part our dog food never stays long enough around here to worry about it, However my father taught me to store Dog food in the old SS Garbage cans and
for the most part, it's how we still keep it. Have not priced the SS Garbage cans in many years, ours have never worn out, so no replacements have been necessary.
We do use some plastic hang on the wall type storage feeders, have had no problem with them what so ever.
RGD/Dave

Gundog

Post by Gundog » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:09 pm

I put the dryfood in a plastic container as well. Bought it at petsmart and they have many different sizes and styles.