Garmin Astro Tech Issues

natetnc

Garmin Astro Tech Issues

Post by natetnc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:07 pm

I have noticed this problem since earlier this season and wanted to know if anyone else has had something similar happen. When I load the tracks to my PC i have a missing piece on the dog track at the very beginning, about 30 or so minutes worth. i make sure the gps is connected to satelites and the transmitter (collar) is communicating with the gps before starting. here is the twist, the gps holds the correct data.

example: i clear both dog and gps tracks before hunt, then hunt for 4hrs with no battery changes or loss of communication, the unit is working as it should. i connect the gps to my pc to download the tracks, i notice on the mapsource software that not all of the dog track (DC30) is there. all of my track (gps) is there. mapsource says my dog ran 6 miles, my gps says my dog ran 10, i am positive i cleared the dog tracks, i checked them before we started. so end result is all my track is there and some of the dog mapsource track is missing eventhough it is saved on the gps.

i know this is a little hard to follow but i hope it is clear enough. let me know if there is something that is unclear.

thanks

Az Draht

Re: Garmin Astro Tech Issues

Post by Az Draht » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:07 pm

The hand held only holds 620 data points from the dogs track. It then begins to overwrite. You can get around this by saving the tracks and renaming them when you stop for breaks or in between hunting spots. So you would have multiple saved tracks for each hunt.

However, the actual dog collar hold far more data. Use the data from that to download the tracks onto your computer.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:01 am

Az Draht wrote:The hand held only holds 620 data points from the dogs track. It then begins to overwrite. You can get around this by saving the tracks and renaming them when you stop for breaks or in between hunting spots. So you would have multiple saved tracks for each hunt.

However, the actual dog collar hold far more data. Use the data from that to download the tracks onto your computer.
Is that 620 data points per dog?

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:00 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:Is that 620 data points per dog?Coveyrise64

Yes

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:00 pm

thanks AZ! i noticed both my dogs had 620pts saved. now for my next question. i have tried saving multiple dog tracks for other reasons and ended up deleting the previous track, read the book and still couldn't figure it out. could you give me a step by step on how to set up the next track?

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:03 pm

What you need to do is rename the older tracks. I use the date and am/pm or 1, 2, etc.

I will leave it at that for now because I work third shift starting tonight and I need to take a nap so I can make it through the night.

I will verify the steps on my astro and post instructions in the morning.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:28 pm

i understand the 3rd shift and need for sleep...... worked it while i was in college. thanks for your help.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 am

When the Astro saves a dogs track, the file is the dogs name. In order to keep it from overwriting old tracks, you have to rename them.

To do that

Main Menu > Advanced > GPS Applications > Tracks

1. Highlight "Save", Press "enter" The track will be saved under the same name as the collar name (Presumably a dogs name).
2. Arrow down to the name of the dog who track you want to rename, Press "Enter"
3. Highlight the "Name" area, Press "enter"
4. Use the rocker panel to move through the displayed letter boxes to spell out the new name of the old file. *

* I use the date with AM or PM or 1, 2, 3 at the end for my tracks and the Dogs name with 1, 2, 3 at the end for dog tracks.

5. When renamed, Highlight "OK" in the letter box and Press "enter"
6 Highlight "OK" at the bottom right of the screen, Press "Enter"

I rename my tracks when I stop for breaks or I am moving between hunting spots. You may want to rename the tracks every hour as that is about how long it takes to fill up 620 data points at 5 second update rate.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:11 am

thanks a lot. i will try that out this weekend.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:06 am

I forgot to mention, the new track will then be under the dogs name again