Attitudes High Finance as a stud dog....?

12 Volt Man

Attitudes High Finance as a stud dog....?

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:38 pm

pro and cons?

I'm purchasing a female litter mate to my Lola dog ( http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1851 ). I'm purchasing this female because I've been so impressed with Lola so far. I'm hoping this litter mate will be something close to what Lola is. She's been used as a brood bitch and put out a nice litter. She is coming into heat and I'll have the option of having her bred to Attitude's High Finance before she is shipped out to me.

I've had an interest at times in this sire. I was really impressed with the puppy pictures that Ronnie Conn put up when he owned the dog. Right now I've been more interested in crossing my Lines with some Erin's Kennel stuff.

Just wondering what some of you thought of Attitude's High Finance. Just don't want to waste an opportunity if it makes sense.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Attitudes High Finance as a stud dog....?

Post by topher40 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:57 pm

I personally dont like attitude dogs, just me.........But If you are interested I would call Ross Callaway, I know he has bred to the dog a couple of times. He could give you some great insight.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:09 pm

High Finance carries alot of Elhew Blood, really Attitude bred in name only as Honky Tonk Attitude is aways back in his pedigree.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:30 pm

If you can get the female bred to Finance. Go ahead and do it. He produce dogs with good noses and most dont have huge huge run so you should be happy

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks guys. Keep the info coming...
topher40 wrote:I personally dont like attitude dogs, just me.........But If you are interested I would call Ross Callaway, I know he has bred to the dog a couple of times. He could give you some great insight.
Ross and I have talked a little about it. I'd actually like to breed her to a son of Erin's Bad River which we own. Problem is, I don't know if I can get her here quick enough with the weather etc....
dudleysmith wrote:If you can get the female bred to Finance. Go ahead and do it. He produce dogs with good noses and most dont have huge huge run so you should be happy
That makes me a bit worried about it. I'm actually after a bit of run. My Lola runs huge.

LBH

Post by LBH » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:05 pm

Rob,

Lola seems to be the one to beat these days. I hope to see her get at it sometime soon 8) Best of luck with the new one.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:29 pm

12 Volt Man wrote:Thanks guys. Keep the info coming...
topher40 wrote:I personally dont like attitude dogs, just me.........But If you are interested I would call Ross Callaway, I know he has bred to the dog a couple of times. He could give you some great insight.
Ross and I have talked a little about it. I'd actually like to breed her to a son of Erin's Bad River which we own. Problem is, I don't know if I can get her here quick enough with the weather etc....
dudleysmith wrote:If you can get the female bred to Finance. Go ahead and do it. He produce dogs with good noses and most dont have huge huge run so you should be happy
That makes me a bit worried about it. I'm actually after a bit of run. My Lola runs huge.

What kind of range does your dog have?

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:16 pm

My dog has run big as a derby. I haven't pressured her to handle or broke her yet. I've just let her go and do what she will do. She'll be broke this spring and we'll see how big she runs after that. She runs 300-500 yards out pretty consistently but she'll go bigger. She's placed in walking and horseback trials. At one horseback trial she was running as a derby out further that the All Age dogs went. She can go. Casper scouted that one. Maybe he can elaborate more than I can on that? I wasn't actually at that trial. She was handled by a friend of mine.

She had an incredible juvenile career especially since I had limited ability to get to very many trials. There was only one trial she ran in, where she didn't place. Her personality is great, style top notch. Problem is, I don't want to breed her till I get her broke. I don't want the down time. So.... along comes one of her litter mates for sale. I believe all the same qualities are there, she just hasn't been given a chance to do anything yet. I'm hoping this new one is everything that Lola is.

I really wasn't going to breed this new bitch right away, except that she just came into heat. Being in Utah, I'll probably not have a chance to breed to a National Champion again. I know they would be some top notch pups. It's just a curve ball. Not what I expected but still something that will makes some very nice pups.

This female has been bred to Ben once already and I'm told that litter has produced some puppy and derby winners. I think she was probably bred on her first heat with seem kind of young for me. But for some pointer guys it is common place.

My plan for Lola was to breed her to our Bad River Rooster dog. I want to try and recreate similar breeding to a couple of Sean Derrig's dogs. Being able to find a litter mate to Lola was just a blessing/surprise.
Last edited by 12 Volt Man on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:31 pm

AhF will produce dogs that go 300-500 yards with not much problem. saw several that ran bigger than that. If you buy the female bred how many pups are you planning on keeping?

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 pm

dudleysmith wrote:AhF will produce dogs that go 300-500 yards with not much problem. saw several that ran bigger than that. If you buy the female bred how many pups are you planning on keeping?
Just one. I have a couple of guys that will want one. Your question brings me to my next thought. Anybody have interest in a pup like we're talking about? I want to make sure I can find a good place for all of them. Preferably with folks who will trial them.

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 pm

If you plan on playing like Derrig, you had better get a fast horse!!!!!! You had better think about the run you are looking for. AA dogs are not for the meek of heart.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:46 pm

He dont need no horse!!!!!!!!!!! Have you seen how fast Rob is? He can flat lay it down!! Though he does look like John Wayne on a horse.... :D

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:04 pm

I am pretty fast. Just not gaited. :(

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:52 am

12 Volt Man wrote:She can go.
She can find birds too :wink:

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:46 pm

300 to 500 yards ? What are you smoking? :mrgreen:
The last time we hunted I was at least 1 mile from you and she came running by me like I was standing still. You need to by an astro so you can get your distances right.
You had better think about the run you are looking for. AA dogs are not for the meek of heart.
Amen brother!
I thought my shorthairs ran big :roll: Oh man I had a rude awakening when Rooster decided he had legs.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:55 pm

One more thing Rob didn't brag on. Lola is the Utah Juvenile Dog of the Year.
I had the privilege of keeping her for a few weeks and ran her in a trial. She is a sweetheart and my 4 year old loved "Rola"
Rob I would breed to Ben. You may not get this opportunity again.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:You need to by an astro so you can get your distances right.
Yeah, funny you say that. I had some money for an Astro put away.... the best kind of money (Wife Don't Know). Then I found this litter mate to Lola :P No tracker for me :(

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:04 pm

For my money there are much better actual known producers to go with.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Both males and females - :wink: Just givin' ya' grief Rob but for me, breeding young, unproven stock just ain't the way to go as the foundation for your whole gig - juvenile dogs just don't have enough hours on 'em to base a whole program on IMO. I know that's not your question but in addition to asking ?'s about the studs, I'd wonder what I really know about the dams at this young stage if that makes sense - what kind of testing have they really had? Week long chukar hunts to see how they hold up? Week long trips in the early fall heat to see how they hold up? Hunting trips with 'em down hunting with proven dogs to see how they hold up or compare? Are they finding birds beyond the trial wind ups? What training have they had to see how they hold up? As far as competition, who have they really competed against? How have they done in competition after their training - i.e. broke stakes? In what competition scenario/venues have they been proven? In what conditions? For how long? Maybe I'm just too much of a stickler/fuddy duddy when it comes to breeding but if I'm breeding a litter or buying a pup out of said litter, those are all ??'s I'd wanna know the answers to. :wink: I know I didn't answer your question and will take grief for throwing this out there but just honest considerations IMO - wanna see ya' end up with the stuff you're hopin' for!! :wink:
Though he does look like John Wayne on a horse....

Need to get him a six shooter, a saddle gun, and a flask o' shine in his saddle bag!! :lol: :lol:

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:52 pm

GUNSMOKE wrote:For my money there are much better actual known producers to go with.
That's true. If I had my choice I'd go straight to Sean Derrig and breed to Tin Soldier or Bad River. But...... I'm talking what's available to me being a poor "bleep" and living in Utah. I can't afford to ship a dog over to Illinois and then here to Utah. This bitch is in South Carolina and we're almost set to have her shipped out here. She just came into heat so I figured I needed to decide if I should have her bred now using the options that are in South Carolina. Options that I don't have here.

Another option.
in fact.... I like the pedigree more is to have her bred to any of Ross Calaway's Stud dogs, since he is also in South Carolina and I bet he would help me out. Specifically I like how the pedigrees match up on his Jack dog. That breeding excites me a little. Jack's a young dog unproven but has a bunch of derby wins. The pedigree is right. So that brings back the original question... Is the opportunity to breed to a National Champion something I shouldn't pass over?
DGFavor wrote:
Both males and females - :wink: Just givin' ya' grief Rob but for me, breeding young, unproven stock just ain't the way to go as the foundation for your whole gig - juvenile dogs just don't have enough hours on 'em to base a whole program on IMO. I know that's not your question but in addition to asking ?'s about the studs, I'd wonder what I really know about the dams at this young stage if that makes sense - what kind of testing have they really had? Week long chukar hunts to see how they hold up? Week long trips in the early fall heat to see how they hold up? Hunting trips with 'em down hunting with proven dogs to see how they hold up or compare? Are they finding birds beyond the trial wind ups? What training have they had to see how they hold up? As far as competition, who have they really competed against? How have they done in competition after their training - i.e. broke stakes? In what competition scenario/venues have they been proven? In what conditions? For how long? Maybe I'm just too much of a stickler/fuddy duddy when it comes to breeding but if I'm breeding a litter or buying a pup out of said litter, those are all ??'s I'd wanna know the answers to. :wink: I know I didn't answer your question and will take grief for throwing this out there but just honest considerations IMO - wanna see ya' end up with the stuff you're hopin' for!! :wink:
All that is definitely stuff to consider Doug. Especially if you are a Shorthair breeder :P :mrgreen: :P I would like to know all these things, but by the time you do, the bitches are almost too old. No? I've been waiting to breed Lola (or not) till we do know more of these things. This litter mate of hers has already been bred and produced some nice youngsters. I'm buying her to see if she has what Lola has. I'd like to get her broke and run her. It might be too late to turn her into a competitive bird dog. But we know the genetics are there based on what Lola is. Right? She came in to heat, so I figured I'd consider some things. You could do alot worse in a pointer pup than anything we've discussed here. And yes I appreciate the views from all sides. I've stayed away from breeding dogs for years not knowing exactly what I want or should do. Near as I can figure, this would be the second best Pointer breeding in the State of Utah over the last year or more. :wink: Going to be hard to top that litter Kim bred.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

This litter mate of hers has already been bred and produced some nice youngsters.
Oh man, puppies producing puppies! :wink: :lol: :lol: I know you got you've thought this thru every way from Sunday - just givin' ya' da' bizness cuz it's what we do on da' net!! :lol:

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:14 pm

DGFavor wrote:
This litter mate of hers has already been bred and produced some nice youngsters.
Oh man, puppies producing puppies! :wink: :lol: :lol: I know you got you've thought this thru every way from Sunday - just givin' ya' da' bizness cuz it's what we do on da' net!! :lol:
I can't argue with a Shorthair guy. 8) Only a hardcore pointer man can understand breeding a female on the first heat or second heat. I can't even understand why. I've always heard wait till the third heat.

There are ways to argue all sides of something like this. Here's something else to chew on...... Doesn't the possibility of pyrometra increase every year they get older? So then it's all in the name of preventing pyrometra :P

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Why are the guys you are getting her getting rid of her for?

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:13 am

There are two or three guy's in South Carolina that own dogs together. One of them was selling a few young females. Most were bred with Rockacre Blackhawk lines. There's still a couple of the Rockacre females on for sale. I think they all put out one litter and were never really worked as bird dogs. He's just clearing some room. Moving on to the next ones I guess. I would own 10 dogs like Lola if I could. I can't wait to see what this other female will do. I hope I can help turn her into a competitive bird dog.

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:39 am

Just what we need more people producing unproven stock who have NO idea what they are doing or what it takes to produce quality animals!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:48 am

GUNSMOKE wrote:Just what we need more people producing unproven stock who have NO idea what they are doing or what it takes to produce quality animals!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rather than run Rob down, why don't you try to contribute something?

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:58 am

It's all good Greg. I figured just asking the question there would be some controversy.

One of the things I've learned over the years runnin' internet bird dogs :P is that someone will always trash the guy with breeding questions. Someone is always more qualified to breed dogs and everyone else should not breed dogs. Yet the For Sale Section keeps rockin' with litter after litter of mostly decent dogs. Bred mostly by those considered to have "no idea what they are doing". Yet the pups keep selling and many make good competitive trial dogs or great hunting dogs.

Many people would rather have a well bred litter from a small time guy that can give some attention to detail and some socialization to the pups. And many of the people who "know what they are doing" have kennels full of dogs that never get out. They have two or more litters on the ground at once. No socialization blah blah blah... There's a place for both types of breedings. Everybody who breeds dogs started somewhere. And usually the ones complaining about people breeding dogs have bred dogs themselves.

At what point does someone "know what they are doing?" I've got a lot to learn still, and it's sucks that I feel like I have to give a resume' because I asked a question but I've judged trials, I've place dogs in 3 different pointing dog venues, and I have had pointers for almost 8 years. I run a whole internet forum dedicated to bird dogs. Outside of my family responsibilities I basically eat, sleep, and breath bird dogs. How many of you waited that long before you bred a litter? Or were "more qualified" than me before you bred a litter?

I'm asking about buying a dog bred to a National Champion here. I'm going to have the dog shipped all the way across the country because I know what I want. It's not like I just bought a dog off the local classifieds and decided I wanted to breed dogs. Like I said... I have a lot to learn. But don't mistake me for an idiot.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 am

Your exactly right Rob,don't let people get you down you put down your hard earned cash & have as much right to breed dogs as anyone else.You obviously have given it alot of thought & are not going to become a puppy mill over night. :lol: Good Luck with your plans & you already know about this addiction.Hey just a thought maybe we should start Dog Breeders Anonymous for us junkies!! :lol:

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:29 am

GUNSMOKE wrote:Just what we need more people producing unproven stock who have NO idea what they are doing or what it takes to produce quality animals!!!!!!!!!!!!
And just who are you and why are you so much smarter than all of use???
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am

People seem to be a little thin skinned these days. What I'm saying is if you haven't done the research of the sire and dam or are just breeding to see what happens then you have no business breeding. I've been in this game for a good number of years and have spent many an hour in the saddle watching all types and breeds of dogs. You breed PROVEN quality to PROVEN PRODUCING quality, therefore unless I have all of the above they don't get bred PERIOD. I'm done with this thread. if I've hurt someones feelings I apologize.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:02 am

You're not helping and you're taking your marbles and going home. Who's thin-skinned?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:26 am

GUNSMOKE wrote: People seem to be a little thin skinned these days.
You may be right but then again if they are you seem to be one of them.
GUNSMOKE wrote:What I'm saying is if you haven't done the research of the sire and dam or are just breeding to see what happens then you have no business breeding.
And who set this standard? Again you may be right but when someone is doing that research here on the net, they don't need someone criticizing without contributing to the research.
GUNSMOKE wrote:I've been in this game for a good number of years and have spent many an hour in the saddle watching all types and breeds of dogs.
I believe there are several on here that have been in this game as long as you and have done there research in the method they prefer and have had some outstanding results. I have found there are many more ways to research than strictly being in a saddle as that produces little information about temperament, conformation, and attitude in the house with the family.
GUNSMOKE wrote:You breed PROVEN quality to PROVEN PRODUCING quality, therefore unless I have all of the above they don't get bred PERIOD.
It appears, without knowing all of the facts that your idea of proven quality may be considerably different from many of the good breeders. Does that mean you shouldn't breed? If it does, then where do the good dogs you have produced fit in?
GUNSMOKE wrote:I'm done with this thread. if I've hurt someones feelings I apologize.
Probably the best statement you made and I hope everyone accepts your apology. I am sure you didn't mean to make everyone angry but just didn't think through the questions being asked and then making statements that were constructive instead of ones that implied "I am better than you".

Sorry to say we all do that too many times.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:56 pm

I think that last post is a great example of "piling-it-on". I venture to bet he got the point from Greg's posts. He said he was done...let him go, no need to continue to kick the cat. Too many strong arms of the law. JMO.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:41 pm

PntrRookie wrote:I think that last post is a great example of "piling-it-on". I venture to bet he got the point from Greg's posts. He said he was done...let him go, no need to continue to kick the cat. Too many strong arms of the law. JMO.
Thanks for your expertise. Wish that post of Gregs had been there when I wrote mine but I still might have piled on. JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:15 pm

ezzy333 wrote:...I still might have piled on. JMO Ezzy
Of course, would not have expected anything different.

Back to the topic....12 volt. I have followed many of you posts her over the years and have found you to be a pretty well thought out individual. One line from a post of yours on this topic stuck out to me...Being in Utah, I'll probably not have a chance to breed to a National Champion again. From that, and all the other research you have done, I would do it if you get the opportunity. Also ditto speaking with Ross.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

12 Volt Man wrote:I run a whole internet forum dedicated to bird dogs
If that doesn't spell out your credentials,,, nothing will. :lol:

I think we all get the point of this thread. Sums it up pretty good here
vzkennels wrote:Your exactly right Rob,don't let people get you down you put down your hard earned cash & have as much right to breed dogs as anyone else
Or,,, you have every right to breed your own chit as much as the next guy has to breed his own chit. Just look at the for sale page.

Now Rob,,,, I gather what you were really fishing for was a bunch of people wooing and awing over your potential breeding,,,, obviously you didn't get that. Now what your breeding,,, is it worth the risk,, IMO sure,,,, he's a National Champion,, he's most likely a nice dog and a result of a good breeding program. So that makes the female the variable or the combo of the two the variable,,,, the paper pedigree is there so what the heck. IMO most of a dogs accomplishments or lack there of is contributed to the owner/trainer anyways, the talent is most likely there in the dog.

But also IMO,,, West Coast people should stick with West Coast dogs. Look at the people that are successful out here,,,, like alot of newby's try,,,its best not to re-invent the wheel.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:39 pm

"West Coast people should stick with West Coast dog. Look at the people that are successful out here,,,,,," Are you referring to Hansen and Kelly and their Arkansas dogs? They must be at around 30 championship placements in the last few years alone.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:59 pm

True Dave,,,,, they have had huge success with that stuff. But I was thinking more of the pros. And,,, it was just my opinion,,,,, real good West Coast chukar dogs that have been bred here for 2 to 3 generations is much easier to answer questions about. Can they handle the extreme cold, can they handle the heat, do they tear themselves up on the rocks or have joint and muscle problems,,,, dogs that have been tested here you can answer those questions,,, other dogs you can't,,,, not that they can't do it but who know's.

And actually,,, that was a quote from Charles Morton when I was asking him about all the big name southern dogs and he couldn't understand why I wouldn't just use dogs in my own back yard.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:48 pm

And actually,,, that was a quote from Charles Morton when I was asking him about all the big name southern dogs and he couldn't understand why I wouldn't just use dogs in my own back yard.
Pretty sure when he said that he was referring to my shorthairs that were actually in your backyard at the time...and using them...to breed a better pointy dog...more colorful...with a hint of danger. Just sayin'...coulda been what he meant...

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Rob,

Hello from AZ.

I have a bitch that is out of Ben. Registered name is Caladen's All Business. Many on the boards have seen her and know her as Patch. Don't feel the need too type and brag on here here, but she is special.

She is in my avatar as a pup. Here she is in Montana:

I have the same name on your BB. Send me a PM if you want to talk further.

CM

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 pm

Rich, we've never met but you have my respect. I like what you've done with your dogs. I've followed some of your successes. Plus Doug likes you so you can't be all bad. I imagine we'll end up friends when we do cross paths.

but..... (there had to be a but right)

You are way of base on this part.....
Rich Heaton wrote:Now Rob,,,, I gather what you were really fishing for was a bunch of people wooing and awing over your potential breeding,,,, obviously you didn't get that.
In fact, to be honest it pisses me off that you think that.

If things work out we'll settle it all out in the field. I'll fully expect to get my arse handed to me. But if I get around clean one day and beat you.... then you're buying the drinks. 8)

I have to be different Rich. All my bud's had shorthairs, so I got into pointers. There's a whole litter of NICE pups sired by your dog running around Utah now and some of them are or will be trialed. Crash and burn or get out and win, I gotta have something a little different than the next guy. Call it reinventing the wheel if you like.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:01 pm

One thing to remember littermates can be different as night and day.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:02 pm

I would get the female home and evaluate her, if I liked her enough to breed then I would be looking for a male that was producing what I wanted to win/hunt with. This would also give you a chance to match up her strengths and weaknesses with some potential studs. My last pup was sired by a dog that was winning championships and producing champions in the geograpical areas that I most often hunt. It worked out well for me, as for those Arkansas dogs from mostly walking trials winning all age trials on the left coast, I guess sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Rob, can you live with a litter of excellent hunting dogs even if they don't turn into winners in the trial game? It sounds to me like that's about the worst thing you could end up with here. Do the breeding if you'll be asking yourself "What if" for the rest of your life.
I do think Rich H. brings up a good point about a good chukar dog. It does take a certain type of dog to shine in our western terrain. I like the comment about the rocks tearing up the pads. I've got a friend whose midwestern dogs are bleeding an hour into our chukar hunts. My dogs go all day on the rocks without a hitch. That's something to think about.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 pm

12 Volt Man wrote:You are way of base on this part.....
Rob,,, didn't mean to get ya all riled up,,, actually thought the UBD forum comment would have done it first :lol:. But did ya actually expect for people here to dog on a National Champion,,, I would bet no more than 5 tops have even seen the dog in person and probably less than that that have seen your dog outside your circle of friends. I think I was about the only one supporting ya to give it a try,,,, you can match pedigree's all ya want,,, you just don't know what your going to get until ya try it.
12 Volt Man wrote:Plus Doug likes you

Not sure why ya had to go and say something like that,,, nobody likes that guy either.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Rob,,, its all in good fun,,,, keep in mind I breed frozen semen stuff so its real hard for anybody to have an opinion on my choices,, and I bred to a NBHA Hall of Fame dog Slate Creek Doc in hope of getting AA stuff (dog never saw the west coast and was a walking ch) and I grace the For Sale page here when I breed my shat to other shat. All in good fun.
12 Volt Man wrote:I gotta have something a little different than the next guy
Get an AA Spinone,,,, then you'll have something a little different.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks Rich. I understand you a bit better now.

This got blown out of proportion. Actually Chasin' Mearns came through with what I should have asked for in the beginning. Who has dogs sired by Ben and what are they doing? I snuck over here because I know there is a lot more pointer folks than on UBD. I hope I was able to argue my thoughts fairly well without being too defensive. I'm usually the guy trying to clean up the mess on UBD, so this was fun for a change.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:26 pm

You kiddin Rob you have messes on UBD?? :lol: :wink:

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:27 pm

vzkennels wrote:You kiddin Rob you have messes on UBD?? :lol: :wink:
heck no. I run a tight ship.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm

It's a nice site Rob I still visit it on a regular bases like everday. :)