GSP stud question

gozz21

GSP stud question

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 pm

I am posting this for my friend. I started a GSP last year and sold him to my friend so he could stay close. He is a black roan male gsp. nice pedigree. He is 2.5 years old right now. He has his hips OFA tested and they are excellent and his elbows are normal. We trained him steady to wing and shot and fall and we are sending him to a pro to perfect him up with everything and run in Master Hunter tests. He doesn't want to charge a huge stud fee for him because he wants to see what he produces. He will be using him as a personal stud dog once he finds a female that fits his criteria. He is wondering what a good price would be for a stud fee. Very stylish dog with nice point and retrieve and natural backer. He is wondering if people would be interested if he charged $350-400 for a stud fee. We finished him JH by ourselves, and now we are doing MH. He wont be available for stud until after he finishes his MH.
Let me know what you think

thanks
Jason

zeke 5 generation.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElhewPointer

Re: GSP stud question

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Just to let you know that this has about a 99% chance of getting ugly. This isn't trying to bust your bubble because im sure he is a great dog, but, there are quite a few MH GSP males out there. So if the color sets him apart from the other ones, great, I guess. Maybe that will be a selling point. Im not going to tell you what to price a stud fee at but at $400 I don't think they will be knocking your doors down. JMO

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Here are some pictures of Zeke
DSC00378 -2.jpg
DSC00391.JPG
DSC00397.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

A starting point is the price one puppy will demand.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:57 pm

I doubt that he will get many takers. I hate to sound negative, but I don't see alot in the pedigree to get people interested in breeding to him. It sounds like he is a really nice dog, but to get people interested in him, he would have to have more than good training and a MH title. If he started winning some trials and some titles put on him, he would become known and that could change things.

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 pm

I would say some of it depends on the pedigree behind the dog. I'm sure he's a nice dog but the previous poster is right...plenty of MH studs out there and most people serious about breeding aren't concerned about black vs. brown..it's about the stud and the right fit. He looks nice in the picture. I like a dog with a little higher tail but to each his own. I would say you'd get some interest at the price you stated. If he is interested in seeing what he produces he could probably find a bitch or two for litter picks versus money to start out..just a thought.

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:06 pm

I think his pedigree is pretty nice. Saddle tramp was a great producer and Rawhides clown was fantastic too. What do you mean titles? Master Hunter is a great title that not a whole lot of dogs obtain. But I am glad to hear your opinions. We are just wondering if our price range is pretty good. He is also hoping to try some NAVHDA after he finishes MH.

thanks
Jason

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:12 pm

We are not trying to advocate his color as a reason for using him. Just stating his color is black roan. People need to look at abilities of the dog and health clearances before breeding to a stud, not color.

thanks
Jason

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:22 pm

You said he is trying to see what he will produce? This is going to get ugly I predict.
It's hard when you own a male to go find the right female to fill the holes your male has, and yes he does have holes, every dog does.
You can't go to a trial/test and find a female that would compliment him and then go ask to breed to her. It doesn't work that way. Almost always the female owner comes to you.
So is he good enough for a quality female to come breed to ?
Nope not in my opinion. Maybe an untilted hunting dog, but not a proven female.
He hasn't done anything to prove himself.
MH is ok, got one myself but still that only shows he can retain training. Go show me he can compete and win, hunt hard and have his feet hold up. Have good "all day " stamina, produce birds and be very natural at backing and retrieving. Then you may get a quality female to look at him.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Let me just say a few things but not trying to discourage you just giving some cold hard facts.If you get a couple females to breed to him in his life you will be ahead of alot of others with stud dogs with better ped & tiles.There are FC dogs & some NFC dogs that get bred very liitle for various reasons.It takes more then titles & peds to promote a stud dog to the point of people breeding to them frequently.
Good Luck with your plans.

Oh sorry but to answer your specific Question $350 to $400 is with in reason.

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:06 pm

yes thats what we prefer. We are hunters first, and started into hunt tests because they were fun and a great way to spend time with our dogs. We are not going to ask any females to breed to him. If a female wants to breed to him, hopefully it will help her out in her flaws. And her strengths will help with his weaknesses. When weather gets nicer we will try and get some better pictures of him because his style went down a little during the breaking process. Season of wild birds picked him back up. Lots of suggestions going around. Thanks for your suggestions

thanks
Jason

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 pm

We are not trying to advertise him for people to breed to him all the time. We are not in it to make money. Just wondering if our price is reasonable. My friend was just wanting to know if other people may be interested in his stud, because he will not be using him for a couple years until he finds a female that will work with zeke and fit his criteria. thanks for the posts

thanks
jason

D2shorthairs

Post by D2shorthairs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:19 pm

I agree with the posts above but understand your enthusiasm. If you want to prove him as a breeding dog then buy a female that fits him yourself or get someone with a female you think will work who is willing to breed to him and breed her for the pick of the litter pup. The female owner doesn't have to pay anything and either scenario puts you more in control of proving his pup or pups if they are yours. Good Luck.

David

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:53 pm

thanks for the posts. We will be holding off on breeding zeke until he finishes his MH and then breed to a female of mine possibly or wait until my friend finds a female that he deems acceptable. thanks for the insight

thanks
jason

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:57 pm

How fortunate that you own the bitch that possesses exactly the traits you are trying to strengthen in your stud. Another option would be to lease a heat cycle on a proven bitch.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Was that meant to be sarcastic? I actually have a very nice female that I feel would make a nice breeding with zeke. I still have to see how she finishes out and also plan on finishing her MH before she would be considered for breeding. So I guess I am fortunate to have a nice female that goes well with zeke.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:27 pm

gozz21 wrote:I think his pedigree is pretty nice. Saddle tramp was a great producer and Rawhides clown was fantastic too. What do you mean titles? Master Hunter is a great title that not a whole lot of dogs obtain. But I am glad to hear your opinions. We are just wondering if our price range is pretty good. He is also hoping to try some NAVHDA after he finishes MH.

thanks
Jason
I wasn't saying that Master Hunter is not an impressive title. I was simply saying that if somebody is looking for a stud dog, they are going to look for more than a MH title. As far as the pedigree, yes there are some great dogs in there, but you have to go back to the third or fourth generation to find them.

Having said that, I just want to say again that it sounds like he has the potential to be a really good dog, and I really like the looks of him.

Now, I realize that opinion is not what you were asking about. You are asking if the fee is reasonable, and IMO, yes, that is a reasonable fee. :)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:38 pm

thanks charlie. I appreciate your response. We might do some NAVHDA with him, but right now we are working on MH.

thanks
Jason

raven3

Post by raven3 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Jason
Have fun reaching your goal...Handsome dog! I love black GSP's (shhh don't tell my husband). It will go to his head.
Jen :lol:

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 am

Very good looking dog. Nice pedigree. Try advertising in your local newspaper, I bet you would be suprised. If you ask to little people would assume lower quality dog. If you ask to much might get no interest at all. I would say your right in range and if I was looking I would at least call and get some info. Good Luck. 8)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 am

I think the price for years has been whatever the pick of the litter is worth. Still seems reasonable to me. And do not discount the MH title. There are many people who would take that over a field trial title. It just depends what they are wanting or what games they play.

You might use the method I have used a few times. If someone offered to pay 300 and when you told them it would be 400, would you be disappointed if they said no and left? Think about it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:00 am

Are you aware of his conformational flaws and strong points? You will need a list of these. You will also need a list of the bitch's flaws and strong points.AKC shows do not help in this. I would get the opinion of knowledgable conformation people to help you make this list.
adogslife

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:40 am

My suggestion as well coming from the owner of a black GSP female is to get show titles as well on him. I know he can't show in the conformation ring in AKC. But he can in UKC and the International ring. I think if you could get the GRCH in UKC and the Int. CH title on him that will help prove his credibility conformation wise. This does not mean he doesn't have conformation flaws but it will help his case.

Good luck. :-)
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP