Nashville, TN

M1Tanker

Nashville, TN

Post by M1Tanker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 pm

I am heading down to a quail hunt in Georgia mid February and to keep the colonel happy, we are planning to spend two days in Nashville on the way back.

Anybody have any recommendations for "must do" things while in Nashville?

We will be there - Thursday morning through Saturday morning.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Nashville, TN

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Hit the music scene downtown. Go to the Opry. If the show you see isn't in the Ryman, tour the Ryman. If it's not terrible weather, visit the Parthenon. Get a tour of the Hermitage, that's Andrew Jackson's home. There are several Civil War sites to visit. Fort Nashborough might be interesting. A river boat trip on the General Jackson. You might also tour Belle Meade plantation/mansion. There is serious shopping at Opry Mills same place as the General Jackson docks (including a Bass Pro Shops).

Gosh, give me a day or so and I'll think of more. But, the *must see*, unless you just hate country music, is the music scene.

FLocker

Post by FLocker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:19 pm

Born & raised in Nashville. Would only add Vanderbilt's campus to your list. There is a British shooting store called Game Fair Ltd. that a lot of guys here would think is really cool.

Judging by your sig, my bet is that you will stop at the armor school at Ft. Knox, and blow your schedule after spending two days climbing on every tank we ever used.

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Greg it the nail on the head.Just head down to music row lots there also might check out the wid horse always something big going on there .If you have time be glad to take you hunting while your in town just send a pm

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:20 am

FLocker wrote: Would only add Vanderbilt's campus to your list..
Especially if you have younger kids. Taking kids to a college campus when they are young is, IMHO, *very* good strategy.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 am

Some more thoughts:

o The Tennessee State Museum. It's higher priority than one would think from the name.

o Country Music Hall of Fame/Museum.

o While you're shopping at Opry Mills or waiting for the General Jackson, visit the gardens at the Opryland Hotel.

o Tour Cheekwood Gardens.

o If you have kids and they haven't been to a planitarium, you really need to take them. Nashville has a very nice one. It's one of those mandatory things for kids like visiting a college campus.

o If you guys have never been to an IMAX, Nashville has at least 2 that I know of. It's quite an experience.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:28 pm

FLocker wrote:Born & raised in Nashville. Would only add Vanderbilt's campus to your list. There is a British shooting store called Game Fair Ltd. that a lot of guys here would think is really cool.

Judging by your sig, my bet is that you will stop at the armor school at Ft. Knox, and blow your schedule after spending two days climbing on every tank we ever used.
Spent a bit of time at the Armor School many years ago so a trip across post will likely be in the cards to show the colonel where it all started.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 pm

tn red wrote:Greg it the nail on the head.Just head down to music row lots there also might check out the wid horse always something big going on there .If you have time be glad to take you hunting while your in town just send a pm
Appreciate the offer and I will keep it in mind if we can fit it in!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:00 am

If you return home up I-65, the caves and the bourbon distilleries might make a neat side-trip.

Not helpful with The Colonel, but a side trip to Whittaker Guns in Owensboro, sort of West Louisville, would make a really cool stop. Huge inventory. Good prices.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:09 am

There is a field trial nearly every weekend in Feb/March at Percy Priest, just south of Nashville.

Neil

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:36 pm

Neil wrote:There is a field trial nearly every weekend in Feb/March at Percy Priest, just south of Nashville.

Neil
Hmmmmnn...now, the colonel would throw a fit if I promised to sight-see and then took her to a FT. However, I was already contemplating I-65 on the way back to meet up with a fellow grouse hunter I have had numerous phone conversations with since our litter...so, the gun shop might seal the deal!