Male vs Female

A/C Guy

Male vs Female

Post by A/C Guy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:55 pm

The age old debate, boy or girl.

When I was younger (in the 1970's) and my parents bred dogs, it seemed that most people picked females and thus the females were always $50 or $100 more than the males. With our litter 2 weeks ago, all the non buying(6) inquiries were looking for females, but all the inquiries for males came right over and put a deposit to hold their choice of puppy. The buyers were all men looking for a hunting companion. All the women that really want a female have backed out at the last minute (mostly due to finances). I noticed a lot of ads from other breeders that have 8 month old or older left over puppies are also mostly female. My question for other breeders is, "Have you also noticed a shift in buyers having a preference for males?" Just wondering...
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Male vs Female

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:58 pm

It must be a mixed thing then. In the litter my Gunner sired, all the females went quickly. There was also someone here recently posting saying that his (lab) breeder sold all the females quickly.

I think the general public thinks that the females are better natured. My experience is the opposite.

Greg J.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 pm

It seems that year to year I see a shift. There is no rhyme or reason other than this year everyone buys males so the next they need some females. This year I have seen a demand for males. Next year I would put a hundred dollars that females are going to sell like hotcakes! Makes no sense to me, I by what I like and dont worry about the sex.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Most people I talk to thinks a female is better in the house and may be easier to work with. But it really comes down to personal preference.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JordiLa

Post by JordiLa » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Sex was never an issue to me I just wanted a hunting buddy. I agree that females sometimes mature quicker, maybe that leads people to buy them over a male. My boy has been maturing a bit slower than his sister.But as soon as he gets it look out ! He is coming on two years old and drastic changes have happen in the past couple of months. :P and I love it.....
If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with a bird in its mouth! (william maxwell)

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Do you find it odd that the puppy buyers who are backing out are wanting the sex that you no longer have available? If you have males they want females, if you have females they want males. The same thing happens with color. If someone is picking (or backing out of a purchase) based on these criteria I figure that I'm better off to have found out on the front end and return the deposit and go about finding the puppy a good hunting home where they'll focus on its ability to perform, not its genitals.

My males and females are priced the same. I haven't noticed a shift either way, my experience has been half the time males go first and half the time females go first.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:43 pm

As Greg said, my females went pretty quickly. Most of the inquiries I had were specific on which sex, with the majority looking for females. Of the four girls, two went to homes that definatley wanted females and the other two had no preference, just wanted the pup that was the best fit for them. Of the two that wanted females from the start one only had males before the other had only females.
I've known breeders who charge different amounts based on sex &/or “show ring quality”, I price all my pups the same.
Have a couple of really nice boys still looking for good homes, they're coming along very nicely in the field!

LBH

Post by LBH » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Post up some pictures !! That looked like a nice litter. Hope you find those boys homes. How old are they now? How many do you have left?

I actually know of someone who might be interested. Atleast PM me some info. make sure you put your contact info in there as well.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:48 am

LBH wrote:Post up some pictures !! That looked like a nice litter. Hope you find those boys homes. How old are they now? How many do you have left?

I actually know of someone who might be interested. At least PM me some info. make sure you put your contact info in there as well.
The Little Princess.jpg
The Little Princess II.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:50 am

And the other female.
Her Big Sister.jpg
Her Sister.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 am

Do you find it odd that the puppy buyers who are backing out are wanting the sex that you no longer have available?
You misunderstood, my comment was that the 3 buyers for the females backed out (due to finances) as soon as the litter was whelped. But all other inquiries have been for males only. And all the inquiries have been for hunting companions, which goes against the norm of wanting a female for hunting because they mature more quickly and are generally more easy to train. I just thought it was odd, and I noticed a lot of ads for older female puppies. So I was wondering if it was a common trend or maybe just a regional thing.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:14 pm

In my experience it seems like females pick up on things on their own a bit easier and require less training as well as are more eager to please a trainer and bond better and it takes a male a while to get over wanting to mark territory, poop all over, and chase females as well as to act hardheaded and aloof but after a male gets over this they seem to be tougher dogs. This being said my best hunting dogs have always been females and have really had no sensitivity problems with them once getting past the initial gunfire conditioning stage.

Perdido

Post by Perdido » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:00 pm

I ran a poll in this Forum a few years ago as I was just getting started.

It ran about 85% preference for females as being the better, more reliable hunters.
PVA.org needs you to send them 3 bucks.

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:30 am

For us, it was a pee issue. Our only male peed everywhere as a marking thing. We turned down 2 males (after much constenation with the issue) and acquired Queen as a pup from a breeder in MO.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 pm

My true belief is it is just how people are programed! You ask the question about males and you get the... "They lift their leg on everything". Or the "all they think about is %&*$#@# everything".... I will admit put a female between to males and she will swim! But give them a job and here and there they drop a few drops but it is businesss from there on out!
I see it different for me. I try to take the best pup out of the litter, now there is a time that I am looking for one or the other. Like needing a good stud dog, so I pick a male. Or I need a female to maybe breed to a good stud dog.
I have had both, each time I have had knot head males, or bitchy females an in the same breath I have had perfect males an sweatheart females!

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:54 am

Our last female was just sold yesterday, he's mailing his deposit. The buyer would have preferred a male. So that makes almost 90% of potential buyers requesting males from us. That goes completely against the norm.

If our litter had been all males, they would have sold in 10 days.

Three buyers are waiting for the next litter next year.

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:44 pm

I've only had Brittanys so I can only answer based on that experience but whether it was a pup from a litter we had or a rescue dog we fostered everyone wanted a female. I'm not sure why as I prefer males myself.
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:52 pm

I think it is just one of those things. Some people come and dont care about sex of a dog, the next person does. I went and bought a very well bred pup last year I had every intention in the world of buying a male but I came home with a female. There was a nice male but the female just caught my eye.

D2shorthairs

Post by D2shorthairs » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:04 am

I find most of my puppy buyers want females because, as said before, they perceive them as being easier to get along with. It isn't the case at all with my dogs. Probably five years ago, if I had males to sell and people were wanting females, I started asking the buyers why they wanted a female. When they told me they thought they were easier, I educated them to the facts and let them see my adult males, and many ended up buying a male.

David