Top GWP Sire?

jhoughton

Top GWP Sire?

Post by jhoughton » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:37 am

We are considering breeding Trish this spring. Who would your top pick for the sire be and why? I would like to stick with field trial stock and a proven producer is ideal...unfortunately the GWP world is a small world and there aren't a ton of great sires out there like with other breeds.

Here is a link to Trish's pedigree (it is the same as Amos)... http://www.walnuthillgsps.us/Pedigrees/ ... s%20SH.pdf

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: Top GWP Sire?

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:25 am

I'm not a wirehair guy per say, I have not seen a ton of them, and I am sure there are going to be plenty of suggestions, but I have watched a few dogs that Tony Mcgrane has ran in Eastern Iowa a few times, and I sure liked the way they handled and looked going for him.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 pm

From what I have seen John Williams dog "Blitz" from Oregon has been an influential producer to the breed. This dog has won and placed numerous times at the GWP nationals. Not only was he a consistent winner in field trials but he's a hard core hunting dog too.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 pm

If it was me, I'd look to linebreed her. Look through the lists of past dogs that have done well, see who they are out of, what line has been successful producing what you want. Do you have the gwp yearbooks? If not, it's money well spent to track pedigrees of the dogs.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:50 pm

What exactly are you looking for? (what traits?,certain titles?)

Jason Norton has a real nice male that has done a lot in NSTRA. He is producing great pups. That dog can find birds when the others are struggling. Ask Ron about Cosmo he has hunted behind him.

freefallgsp

Post by freefallgsp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm not a wirehair person (I have the shorthaired cousins and have Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs (show only!)), but I've seen quite a few nice ones -- I know there is this "Timo" dog in from Germany that has hunting titles HZP for sure and show titles; and will be in the US for a while to finish his AKC bench championship and to get his NAVHDA Utility. I know he's being bred to a few bitches up here in the Midwest... it's a chance to have a unique pedigree. However, I'd say go with your instinct, you have some time and so plenty of time to do some "shopping". :D

But, if you're looking to see more about that "Timo" dog, http://www.claddaghkennel.com/TIMO'S%20PAGE.htm.

Good Luck!
Jess

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:29 pm

John Williams' Blitz dog is one I would use, I have watched, been braced with and judged him in field trials. He is the full packet and a very nice dog.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

JKP

Post by JKP » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:12 pm

I would call Greg Dixon...you're pedigree has some Backwoods in it and Greg has been a longtime consistent FT breeder.

You DO NOT want the German dog...there isn't enough run and WAY too much size in the pedigree for what you want to do.
Talk to Kelly Jobes in Oregon...he keeps an eye out for smaller dogs with horsepower in all the venues. Very small genepool when you talk FT GWPs...do your genetic homework.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:43 am

and, of course, Dixon handled Trish's sire to the NFC.

Has anyone an idea of how Marley would stack up against Blitz?

wilsonwires

Post by wilsonwires » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:45 am

Marley beat Blitz in the 2008 Nationals and that was his second National title. Also Marley was in the callback at the 2009 Nationals but made a miscue in the rertrieves and Blitz did not make the callback. Marley is Wilsons full brother (Trish's sire). It would be a tight line breeding and probably produce high octane trial dogs.
Ron Wilson
Wilson Wirehairs
Dallas, Georgia

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 am

If you like Trish and see no glaring faults I would breed her back to Wilson and then with those pups outcross to what you need. When you look at Wisons record and what he has produced I sure would like to strengthen those genes before looking at an outcross. Marley would be my second choice. I'm just going on records and pedigrees but you know what you need better than I.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:04 am

wilsonwires wrote:Marley beat Blitz in the 2008 Nationals and that was his second National title. Also Marley was in the callback at the 2009 Nationals but made a miscue in the rertrieves and Blitz did not make the callback. Marley is Wilsons full brother (Trish's sire). It would be a tight line breeding and probably produce high octane trial dogs.
ARCHIE!!!!!!
Dan

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:56 pm

wilsonwires wrote: Marley is Wilsons full brother (Trish's sire). It would be a tight line breeding and probably produce high octane trial dogs.
I guess I'm gettin' old. I was thinking Wilson and Marley were half-brothers. I was thinking about breeding to a great half-brother, *then* go back to Wilson.

Greg J.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Blitz has four National Champion titles and he was sire of 3 of the Futurity winners and grandsire of the other one. Blitz has sired a NFC, but I am not sure what Marly has produced. As of September, Blitz's daughter is #1 Open and #3 Amateur trial wirehair. I don't see any Marley offspring in the line up...
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Blitz is a wonderful dog and had done a ton of winning, no denying that! He has put his mark on the GWP world, especially in the PNW.
When you talk about our futurity this year, Blitz sired 7 of the 12 puppies entered. So looking at those placements are a bit skewed this year.

I don't think Marley has been bred very much, or not as often as Blitz has been bred.

It's always tough to figure out who to breed your bitch to. I find it best to talk to as many breeders as you can, find out what they liked, didn't like, wish they had better etc. Trish's pedigree can go various directions,... just gotta pick one, go with it, but with an eye to the future!
Good luck whichever you decide!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:19 pm

After looking at the pedigree, I would try to get some frozen Rocky from Doug L.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Jay,If she was my dog,I would breed her back to Wilson's sire-Nfc Sure Shots Rocky.Ljungren has frozen siemen on the dog.I think Rocky has produced more National Champ than any other dog....vern

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Now, there's an idea!