I Thank My Lucky Stars!!

CherrystoneWeims

I Thank My Lucky Stars!!

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 pm

This past Sat. I was in a very serious accident while judging a hunt test for my club. During the last brace of the day the horse that I was riding reared and flipped herself over backwards. I have a fractured Orbital bone with blurred vision. I also lost some usage of my legs and strength in my hands. I was discharged from the hospital yesterday and will have to undergo physical therapy and possible surgery on my face.

I did lose consciousness when I fell. Thankfully she didn't fall on top of me!
Last edited by CherrystoneWeims on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: I Thank My Lucky Stars!!

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Wow, glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been...but sorry that you have to deal with the injuries that you did incur. I hope for a speedy recovery and you ARE lucky to have friends like that to help out.

As another equestrian, I second helmet usage.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Holy cow Pam!! Thank goodness you're ok!!

If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Vey sorry to hear of your accident and God bless you. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Sorry to hear you were hurt... glad that you are on the mend.

I'll jump on the helmet bandwagon too. I was as western as they get all my life. I started training a "problem" horse for a client about 10 years ago and she came from a heavy english/dressage background as well as had broken her neck (literally) while riding a few years before. She insisted that I was going to work for her, I would wear a helmet. I promised her I would and have never ridden since without. I have several friends that have walked away with limited injuries from potentially lifethreatening situations, and my husband and I have each broken a helmet and walked away.

Anyone that feels that they need to laugh at my helmet can stuff it where the sun don't shine.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Yikes! So sorry to hear this. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Pam You are in Janet and my prayers. Take care of your self and speedy recovery.

Rick
Janet
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:02 pm

I wish you a speedy recovery.

I do not believe the current style helmets offer nearly enough protection. Many of the most serious equine injuries happen even though the rider has on a helmet, Reeves was wearing one.

We really need to use something more like the smarter bullriders are wearing.

And other than the time I got kicked in the head, a helmet would not have protected me at all in the other injuries I have suffered.

Horses are dangerous! It is that simple,

Neil

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 am

Brrrrrr, reading your story gave me the shivers!!!!!!!
Couple years ago, I got tossed and fractured my pelvis. Still bothers me today, and I still am nervous when a horse stumbles or acts up.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse (worse??????), feel better and be glad for friends that can lend a hand.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:24 am

Pam,

Thank God you are on the mend, will be praying extra here in New Mexico for a Speedy Recovery.
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Thank goodness you are OK. Hope you are 100% soon!!!
brenda

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:48 pm

So sorry that happened Pam. Good advice on the helmet. I've seen some nasty spills that could have resulted in serious brain damage otherwise.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Holy crap!!! I am glad to hear that it isn't as bad as it could have been. I know the inuries suck but thank god it isn't worse. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Has the feeling in your hands and strength in your legs returned?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Wow, we'll pray for you to have a speedy and healthy recovery

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:This past Sat. I was in a very serious accident while judging a hunt test for my club. During the last brace of the day the horse that I was riding reared and flipped herself over backwards. Luckily I have been riding almost all of my life and instinct kicked in to push myself away from her and to roll away. I am not sure if her head, neck, or my saddle hit me in the face. But I have a fractured Orbital bone with blurred vision. I also lost some usage of my legs and strength in my hands. I was discharged from the hospital yesterday and will have to undergo physical therapy and possible surgery on my face.

I did lose consciousness when I fell. Thankfully she didn't fall on top of me!

My fellow club members have been so wonderful to me. One has taken my litter of pups to her place along with another one of my dogs. Another has two of my other young dogs at her home.

I urge everyone to wear a helmet when riding!! I know it is NOT the norm to wear one when out in the field but it can save you from a serious head injury!! A helmet has saved me many times over the years.
What an accident, Pam! Although your injuries are noteworthy, thank goodness your experience prevented you from being more seriously hurt.

All the best for a speedy & complete recovery,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

VogelHund

Post by VogelHund » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Best wishes on a rapid recovery... Being a horse owner, I've been thrown a time or two... but nothing like what you've described!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:00 am

Pam -

Best wishes on a speedy recovery. Glad it wasn't worse.

I am really cautious about riding a horse that I do not know. I am getting to be an old fart and I do not bounce like I used to. I am also NOT a good rider...and never will be. My harses are far fdrom perfect, but i know what is in their heads by now and i am kinda prepared for what they might do in a given situation.

I will tell you this... I WILL NOT get on a horse with a tiedown or a war bonnet on it. I WILL NOT get on a horse that has to be Aced and I WILL NOT stay on a horse that spins or rears or runs out while I'm trying to mount...even a little. I WILL take a strange horse and do some ground drills, stop go left, right and back up to make sure ihe and I are on the same page as far a shom is in charge. I will test it by flapping my arms in front of it and to its side. If the horse backs up , that is OK, especially if it calms down right way. If it rears when I raise my hands...that ain't the one for me.

RayG

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:33 am

Ray,

Yeah I gotta start realizing that I am not as young as I used to be! I'm getting close to 50yrs. and I don't bounce as well as I used to.

I worked with racehorses in my younger days and so many of these horses seem like a piece of cake compared to them. I definitely won't be getting back on this horse. Once a horse rears and flips to me that is a horse that is a disaster waiting to happen no matter HOW much training they get to correct it! And I know of a lot of other upper level riders/trainers who feel the same way.

I've ridden horses with tiedowns but they didn't have them on them because they were rearers. We used them many times to train horses to be a little more on the bit for riders who were not quite as good with their seats and hands to do so.

I'm just glad that I didn't get hurt worse and that I was riding in my own english saddle so I didn't get hung up when I bailed.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm

I saw a guy get the roading rope caught under the horse once and ended up getting dragged down the road. Dangerous hobby. Also saw George Tracy hit a ditch and go right over the horse's head , doing a face plant.Could have broken his neck.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:48 am

Pam,
So sorry to hear of you accident. Someone was obviously watching over you to keep you out of an
even greater harm's way........ Here's to a speedy recovery!

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber