Pic of litter

Birddog3412

Pic of litter

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:04 pm

How important does everyone think getting pic of a litter of pups is? I mean I think everyone wants the first pic, but I feel if I get my pic in the first half of the litter that is ok. Other than sex, color, maybe see a little style, How much can you see in a 6 week old pup? I hear stories both ways on really good dogs.

This dog was pic of the litter and is awesome. Then I hear stories that this was the last pup in the litter and it ended up being awesome also.

My point is buying a pup is like buying a lottery ticket. Have read books and articles that say if it is a well planned and well bred litter and you do not care about sex then you could just pull one out of a box and go home.

Any thoughts??

postoakshorthairs

Re: Pic of litter

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm

I see lots of "pick of the litter" for sales posted so either it's not a guarantee or nobody knows how to pick. I think your right...if your not set on sex, markings etc. and they all act and are socialized the same....it's potluck.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:28 pm

I agree. It is a tough to guarantee which pup will be the best. A lot depends on exposure and training as the pup grows. I think that it is better to tell the breeder what you are looking for and what you want to do with the pup. From that point, they can try and match you with the pup that they think would be best based on personality but a lot can change as the pups grow.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:Any thoughts??
I think the "just grab one" is sub optimal. We all know cases where the left over pup went on to be the greatest thing ever. OTOH, by 7 or 8 weeks, some of the pups *may* show traits that are desireable or undesireable. In my older dog, it was obvious that he was going to be light boned. Undesireable in a dog that you're trying to DC (but I wasn't going there at the time). In my younger dog, where I had first pick of males, the breeder (Rick Hopkins) told me it was the easiest pick he ever made. I don't expect *that* to ever happen again, but at least I can work with the breeder, who sees the pups all the time, to narrow it down and improve my odds.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:03 pm

gpblitz wrote:My best dog to date was skinny, schrawny,half the size of the rest of the litter. Not what most would call the pick, but he was my pick. Pick of the litter is the pup you chose.IMO

This is very true.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:
Birddog3412 wrote:Any thoughts??
I think the "just grab one" is sub optimal. We all know cases where the left over pup went on to be the greatest thing ever. OTOH, by 7 or 8 weeks, some of the pups *may* show traits that are desireable or undesireable. In my older dog, it was obvious that he was going to be light boned. Undesireable in a dog that you're trying to DC (but I wasn't going there at the time). In my younger dog, where I had first pick of males, the breeder (Rick Hopkins) told me it was the easiest pick he ever made. I don't expect *that* to ever happen again, but at least I can work with the breeder, who sees the pups all the time, to narrow it down and improve my odds.
I didnt really mean "just grab one" just something I read. I guess i just think it is funny when someone calls about a litter of pups and arent interested unless they get pick of the litter.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Five different people might have five different "picks of the litter", all the in the beholder.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Delmar Smith was speaking at a big dinner at the conclusion of a prestigious field trial- the topic, this very subject.
What did one of the most famous/successful Gundog trainers have to say about it?

"Take all the time and do as much research as you can to find the absolute best breeding for you- spare no expense
in a pup from the best sire & dam- proven producers bred by people who have had success in the endeavor in which you
plan to use the pup. Drive cross-country to pick this pup up if the breeder isn't willing to ship. But when it comes time to
pick the pup- just close your eyes & grab one, 'cuz at that point, they're all exactly the same. If you picked the right breeding,
it'll now be up to you to bring what's in the pup, out- in it's performance."
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:32 pm

A Pro friend of mine always say "you don't know what you got till you break them"

Perdido

Post by Perdido » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Depends on what you'll expect the dog to do. I just picked a pup that will be campaigned in high desert Field Trials. The dog I picked was the most pushy, bold dog of the bunch. He was noticeably bigger than the other 8 week olds. He will need to be a big going, smart, hyper-active, long winded and curious.

For the most part I have heard lots of times to pick a dog out of the middle. Not the least and definitely not the boldest because a middle of the litter pup will be easier to get along with.

That said, the best dog I have ever owned is a GSP with us now that was the last one out of a litter of 7 or 8. He is smart, biddable beyond all expectation and turned out to be as big as his daddy. He is absolute heck on pheasants. Go figure.

When I bought the pup I just got I did EXACTLY as suggested by Delmar Smith with the exception of picking the biggest puppy in the bunch. We'll see, I don't think you can know anything until you start training in earnest.
PVA.org needs you to send them 3 bucks.