Need help with training

JasonW77

Need help with training

Post by JasonW77 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:27 pm

So I just finished up my brittany first year of hunting. She did really well but since I'm a beginner in training dogs. She is lacking in some areas. I have read some training books and watched some DVD's. She isn't really picking up on some things. Is this normal for a dogs first year out. I've read a lot of post on here from other members and there dogs first year out was really great for them. Am I expecting to much for a beginner with her and I? She does really well just doesn't seem to track birds really well. Its like she doesn't know what to look for. During pheasant season she found multiple birds but its like she can't understand the difference between old and new sent. Quail hunting she didn't really know what to look for.

Maybe my training isn't really working. I'm not giving up. Another problem is I really don't have the money to find a trainer and don't have access to birds or even a place to raise them. Am I like I said before expecting to much out of me and my 1.5 year old brittany. Any advice would be great. Everyone here has always been really helpful

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Need help with training

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:37 pm

You can't expect too much your first season. takes a dog time and experience to learn many things.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Hunting running pheasants is hard for a young dog. I am not sure though why she was confused on the quail. Just stick with her, see if you can find someone in your area who raises gamebirds, and buy a few and work her on them. You dont have to keep them penned up at your house. Most dogs dont hit there prime until 4 or 5.
I would not get discouraged reading about others on here whose dogs are doing great their first year. If a dog is doing that well it is either a great natural dog, or it has probably been on alot more birds than your little brit. You also have to remember that everyone is going to brag their dogs, and in their mind there dog is the best. For example I may have a dog that I think is doing really good, Ill take it to work birds with a buddy and his dog may be better at that time. So my dog may not be doing as good as I thought. That is why alot of people say buy two pups.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Sharon wrote:You can't expect too much your first season. takes a dog time and experience to learn many things.
This is true and don't try to compare your dog to others. You say you are reading about other's dogs doing great in their first year. You don't read about the many more that need alot more work/experience. The biggest problem you have, is not having access to birds. It takes alot of bird exposure to make a birddog.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 pm

Sorry, Birddog3412 beat me to it. :)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Like other said, don't compare to other dogs, they all mature differently! let her mature and get her around as many wild birds as possible, if you only option is pen raised birds find a training group, they will usually let you come and work with them for very little at first.