Rawbone Pointer....?

luke0927

Rawbone Pointer....?

Post by luke0927 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:28 pm

OK Im in GA and I heard a guy say he was going hunting with his friend down in south GA. He said he has Rawbone pointers....what is this name used to describe....is it just a southern thing for a hardcore dog or something? I'm in the younger crowed and just never heard that before.

Birddog3412

Re: Rawbone Pointer....?

Post by Birddog3412 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:16 pm

gpblitz wrote:Redbone hound, pointer cross!!! :roll: :lol:
Is that really it? I would have said that it is because that some of the older pointers were really boney and looked under weight.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:42 am

:lol: Well I recall the guy who got me hooked on bird dogs years ago using raw boned poinner but he was describing a dog that was really skinny and muscled up in the legs....Just meant I think a tough athletic pointer. :lol: I am guessing you are not from the south originally.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:56 am

Here's what my fellow GA boys said over on another forum.

It is an old southern, bird hunters expression. It means a well used dog that doesn't carry any extra weight and is a fairly large dog with prominent features. Often used as a compliment as it means a dog that is hunted a lot and looks like he knows what he is doing.

Yes Born and raised here! but I'm only 24 and everyone in my family had already quit dealing with dogs by the time I came around, I didn't get into them until a couple years ago and just never hear that expression I guess cause all i have are GSP's and don't know anyone personally with EP's

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:34 am

rawboned means the dog has rough features ,big head and maybe other uncomplementary features, generally a bigger structured animal than with rough features, as compared to todays more refined features in pointers .

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:35 am

luke -

Don't feel bad. I have been messing with pointers for just this side of fifty years and cannot recall that expression either. But then I am a Yankee.....

Thank you guys for the chuckle and the explanation.

RayG