What do you love most about puppy development?

M1Tanker

What do you love most about puppy development?

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:59 pm

I saw a post on another board where someone got me to thinking about what I really love about puppies.

I know we all savor the puppy breath and the fun games but for me, I cannot express how much I like those first runs in the woods when they are operating with nothing more than their genetic programming.

I can remember taking Panzer into the woods this spring and watch him get bolder and gain confidence.

I can remember watching him carry his head high with his nose in the air as he roamed...and then walking right into a point on a group of 3 grouse.

That my friends, to me anyhow, is when you have a clean slate and an animal operating on nothing more than DNA.

That is the innocent period, before any formal training, where they show you that 100 years of breeding has brought you something that you hope you do not mess up with in the coming years.

I could watch puppies on their first trips into the woods everyday and never be bored...and I would always think that the puppy out in front of me is the closest thing to a miracle I have seen an quite some time.

I hope you folks feel the same way...it is a good innocent indulgence.

That's the good stuff that keeps me going.

mofro14

Re: What do you love most about puppy development?

Post by mofro14 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 pm

I would have to say mine favorite part is similar to yours. I just like watching those light bulbs coming on as they are figuring things out, whether it be in the field or at home. I also enjoy watching him when he is having some puppy dreams of running in the field and starts growling and running in his sleep.

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:36 pm

My favorite part is when they turn into adult dogs. The puppy stage was just something I had to go through to get the dog that i wanted :mrgreen:
Two Faced Jake

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 pm

I will give you an example similar to yours. Last week I took my 5 month old pup along with her 2 1/2 year old mother out for the last couple days of pheasant season here in Oklahoma. The mother I have been hunting over for 2 seasons and she is super solid especially on pheasant. She points, pheasant busts out and 1 bird down, then at the sound of gunfire another bird flushes, I shoot another bird down, mother goes to retrieve second shot bird and I walk to the first down bird with pup right out in front and she picks up the bird and retrieves it to me maybe 20 feet but it is a start since I have been doing nothing with her except taking her along for the runs and just getting her used to gunfire. She did not know to point the bird but she knew her mother retrieves them to me so she did likewise. Like you said when the light bulbs come on that is the part I like as well.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:11 pm

My favorite time is when they are little guys. They are just starting to get around and explore. I took these pics a couple of days ago of our Elhew Sinbad litter.

So innocent.

Early style.

Big 'ole toad head.

Daring each other to go out.

First meal!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Those are great looking pups. That one guy already has his head crank working for him. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:55 am

Took my 10 week pup out yesterday when I got home from work, it had been snowing here about 3 inches on the ground. He loved the snow kept trying to catch the snow balls as he ran as the snow would fly up. Ran back and forth through the snow. The first experiences of everything is the best.....

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Puppies pointing , nothing makes you smile more than that:)

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 am

Their exuberance for life and "wide eyed wonder" for all of its discoveries.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I love how they are like sponges taking it all in!

I've been doing some placeboard work with my 9 weeks old pups and it's just amazing how fast they learn things. They leap on to it because they know it is a good place to be!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH