Should I get a rescue GSP?

jt807

Should I get a rescue GSP?

Post by jt807 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:43 am

I have a 2 1/2 year old GSP, and want another one for my son.

I have been thinking about getting one from a rescue. Should I?

We will use it for hunting and trials in a local non-AKC club. He doesn't need the best dog, but a dog that could compete would be nice.

It needs to be a good housedog. Our GSP is excellent aroung the house, although I have seen some that are way to highstrung to be decent house dogs. An of course all breeders say there dogs are not like that, just give them enough exercise and they will be fine. What is enough? 1/2 mile jog, or draggin a chain 8 miles each and every day? Thats not my question.

If I get an older dog, and by older I mean I am shooting for about a 2-4 year old dog, that has not been hunted, can I still train it? I guess it is the old question, can you teach an old dog new tricks? And how can I tell when I meet, maybe even borrow an old dog for a week?

birddogsunlimited

Re: Should I get a rescue GSP?

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:02 am

you can find good dogs out of a rescue i have 2 that cmar from one and the both hunt great but ive also fosterd and seen dogs that have no chance of being hunting dogs it really depends on the dog and its past situation whas it beat daily has it been shot befor if your willing to look around you could probly find a good one but it may take some time
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Quite a few of the dogs that come into the rescue I foster for are gun shy, abused or hunting rejects for various reasons. We do occasionally get in some nice fully trained hunting dogs as well as younger dogs and pups that have the potential but the previous owner didn't hunt. They are out there but you have to have patience. If you find a dog that you are interested in ask if they will let you foster the dog to see how it works out.
You will also run into some rescue groups that won't place a dog with a hunter. I don't get it, they are a hunting breed but I guess they have the right to say no.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:59 am

I greatly applaud those that do it, but I never would. Most of the time when you adopt a rescue dog, you're also adopting someone elses problems. There is a reason that dog is in rescue. With all the time you put in training a hunting dog, I'd always opt for a pup so I can guide it's initial development, a very important step for all dogs.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:37 am

Gone is right, if you want a dog for hunting I would go with one of the dogs listed from this Forum that someone is looking for a good home for, that IS a hunting dog. Or there are some good prices on experienced dogs listed here for sale.
brenda

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:17 pm

jt807,

I took a chance on a rescue GSP and I feel like I hit the lottery. He was approximately two-years-old when we adopted him and I wanted a companion first, possible hunting dog second. Like the others said, you are taking a chance with an unknown dog, so if you want to increase your odds for a potential hunter perhaps a pup or an older dog from a breeder on this forum may be the way to go.

I got my GSP from a local animal shelter and he was already crate trained, house broken, knew some simple commands, had great retrieving instincts and was very birdie. He's been a great dog and hunting with him has been icing on the cake!

Even my bird dog trainer told me me I was one lucky guy to pull a dog like this out of a shelter.

Best of luck to you with whichever path you decide to follow.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:38 pm

GSP 4 me wrote:jt807,

I took a chance on a rescue GSP and I feel like I hit the lottery. He was approximately two-years-old when we adopted him and I wanted a companion first, possible hunting dog second. Like the others said, you are taking a chance with an unknown dog, so if you want to increase your odds for a potential hunter perhaps a pup or an older dog from a breeder on this forum may be the way to go.

I got my GSP from a local animal shelter and he was already crate trained, house broken, knew some simple commands, had great retrieving instincts and was very birdie. He's been a great dog and hunting with him has been icing on the cake!

Even my bird dog trainer told me me I was one lucky guy to pull a dog like this out of a shelter.

Best of luck to you with whichever path you decide to follow.
Awesome!! How did you evaluate him before you decided to take him home?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Can only speak from my experience. I have adopted 2 dogs from the shelter over the years. Both were a horror story and I had to put them down.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:55 am

AzHusker,

My wife and I went to the shelter and a volunteer brought us into an introduction room to observe and interact with the dog before making our decision. We quickly learned right off the bat that this dog was "BALL CRAZY"!!!! The GSP was completely focused on the ball we had in the room. We could see he was willing to do anything to be rewarded with some ball time.

Luckily, I remembered watching a program in the past about how hollywood dog handlers like to find new "prospects" out of shelters. One lady would bring a ball with her and bounce it around as she walked beside the kennels while watching to see which dogs would be the most interested and focused on her ball. I guess this appears to be a good indicator on how a dog will ignore distractions while focusing on a toy and its willingness to listen and work with a handler.

The ball/toy observation proved to be a good indicator for us!!!

As far as his hunting ability.....I had no knowledge if he was gun shy or even birdie that day.....we simply took a chance on him and were greatly rewarded.