GSP pup

jfreeman GSP

GSP pup

Post by jfreeman GSP » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 pm

I am new to this forum and new to owning a GSP pup. My quesion is I take my pup out
to the field and let him run and exersise, he finds and points coveys and then the
singles well, he has not been trained to gun, I will flush the quail he points and he will
give a short chase after them. What should I be doing different if anything, I just let
him roam and hunt with no commands and just praise him when he does this. I will
probably take him to a trainer later and he is twelve weeks old now. These are wild birds
he is finding. I am a complete novice at ownig a bird dog and have only hunted behind a few.

kerplunk105

Re: GSP pup

Post by kerplunk105 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:06 am

Try and find a good book and/or video. At only 12 weeks though, everything just needs to be fun (and stress free) for him :)
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 am

I would say you are doing well with the pup, finding and pointing coveys at 12 weeks is GREAT! Take the formal training slow he is young.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 am

If your pup is finding & pointing wild birds at 12 wks you are way ahead of the game.I would get a cap gun & as he is chasing the birds after they flush fire it behind your back once,watch his reaction if he has none or just stops & looks back you are fine.If he comes back to you like he is scared just ignore him & continue on like nothing happened but don't fire it anymore that day.Next time wait untill he is further away.If you definately going to take him to a REPUTABLE TRAINER you might just want to leave the gun conditioning to him.That is one place you DON'T want to make a mistake.
There is know need to rush the gun conditioning at this time.
Sounds like you have a fine pup with all the natural instincts to make you an outstanding BIRD DOG! Good Luck & have fun! :D

D2shorthairs

Post by D2shorthairs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 am

I would agree with everything Ted said. He's a puppy, let him be one. No need to rush here. Be consistent with the commands you give him at this point ( his name, here etc.) and he'll probably learn them without a formal training session. Sounds like he is doing great.

David

jfreeman GSP

Post by jfreeman GSP » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks all for your help, I have been out of town since I posted, all the advice is appreciated,
very much.