Getting ready to start thinking about a new dog. . .

Bigg_Redd

Getting ready to start thinking about a new dog. . .

Post by Bigg_Redd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm

. . . and I need some input.

Me: 34, no kids, live alone, lots of time and energy for a dog, within walking distance of salt water, quite active, plenty of dog training/raising experience.

What I want: a partner in crime (running, riding bikes, hunting, tennis ball therapy) and a dog that will bite the holy ratsh_t out of lowlifes when I'm not home.

I'd love to get one of the Continental wirehaired breeds (GWP, PP, CF, WPG) based on my needs, their looks, and reports I've read on their personalities. But, I live alone and I'm gone from home 10 hours per day 5 days a week at a minimum and 16-18 hours on occasion. And I'm reading that these breeds (particularly the GWP and Griffon) don't cope well with that much alone time.

Is this the case?

Is there anything that can be done to ameliorate it?

Do I need to start looking at Chesapeake Bay Retrievers?

Suggestions?

Also, why are the wirehaired breeders so proud of their puppies? $800-$1200 for GWPs in western WA. Really?

windswept

Re: Getting ready to start thinking about a new dog. . .

Post by windswept » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Bigg Redd
Everything sounded good until you said you are gone for a minimum of 10 hours per day and 16 to 18 on occasion. That may work for an adult dog but I would worry about a puppy of any breed if you have to leave it home alone that much.
No reason that a wirehair/DD wouldn't work as well as any breed.
Good luck

Bigg_Redd

Post by Bigg_Redd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:14 am

windswept wrote:Bigg Redd
Everything sounded good until you said you are gone for a minimum of 10 hours per day and 16 to 18 on occasion. That may work for an adult dog but I would worry about a puppy of any breed if you have to leave it home alone that much.
No reason that a wirehair/DD wouldn't work as well as any breed.
Good luck
This is what I suspected.

Assuming the puppy is reasonably accommodated and safe. . . How do people manage? 8.5 hours at work, 20min (give or take) commute each way = 9hours 20minutes. This is absolute minimum. Is the problem one of physical safety or one of psychological distress?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:12 am

Ideas/Questions:

Do you have a trustworthy friend that can help?
Adult working a different shift or telecommuting
Retired neighbor

An adult dog?
Talk to breeders.
Contact GWP rescue

An older pup plus doggie day care (as much as it pains me to say that) till adult?

Do you have a fenced or fence-able yard? Room for a big run? Possibility of a doggie door?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 am

My dogs are all house dogs, crate trained and house broken, so I ALWAYS hire a dog-walker when I have a puppy. They come twice a day in the beginning (around 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.), and then once a day (around noon) after a couple months. The other option is an outdoor kennel when you're not home.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Bigg_Redd

Post by Bigg_Redd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:18 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Ideas/Questions:

Do you have a trustworthy friend that can help? Actually, yes.
Adult working a different shift or telecommuting
Retired neighbor

An adult dog?
Talk to breeders.
Contact GWP rescue I'd hate to end up with an adult dog that has serious separation anxiety issues, but it's worth a look

An older pup plus doggie day care (as much as it pains me to say that) till adult? This I can do

Do you have a fenced or fence-able yard? Room for a big run? Possibility of a doggie door? All are under construction as I type and will be finished before and puppy/dog arrives

Bigg_Redd

Post by Bigg_Redd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:20 am

Karen wrote:My dogs are all house dogs, crate trained and house broken, so I ALWAYS hire a dog-walker when I have a puppy. They come twice a day in the beginning (around 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.), and then once a day (around noon) after a couple months. The other option is an outdoor kennel when you're not home.
The goal is that he/she has free run of the yard to keep undesirables out when I'm not home