Digital Camera reccommendations

TM964x4

Digital Camera reccommendations

Post by TM964x4 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Im looking to buy a digital camera for my hunting and fishing trips. Just thought id look to everyone on this forum for their advice or recommendations. Ive been looking at the olympus stylus tough 8000 because of its durability features but it seems to lack in the zoom department. Id like something that has a good zoom so i can get those great intense points out in the field. New to the whole digital camera thing so any advice is greatly appreciated!!
TM

grant
GDF Junkie

Re: Digital Camera reccommendations

Post by grant » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:27 pm

I use a Canon EOS Digital Rebel and enjoy it...

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 am

I've got the digital Rebel as well. We're crazy about it. Would have been even crazier about it with the lower prices that are on them now...

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:16 am

I bought the Nikon D5000 at Christmas time and love it. I am certainly inexperienced enough to not be giving advice, but the difference in zoom ability and clarity in the DLR's with interchangeable lenses versus the regular digitals is huge. Best Buy and stores like that will usually have combo sales where you can buy the camera body and then, for varying prices, add different lense(s) so you can match what you want to use it for with a certain lense. I bought two lenses, one with normal zoom range and one with more zoom (both with vibration reduction for action shots) and the camera body for around $875 on sale. My wife's husband has a Canon EOS too and is happy with it.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:55 am

postoakshorthairs wrote:I bought the Nikon D5000 at Christmas time and love it. I am certainly inexperienced enough to not be giving advice, but the difference in zoom ability and clarity in the DLR's with interchangeable lenses versus the regular digitals is huge. Best Buy and stores like that will usually have combo sales where you can buy the camera body and then, for varying prices, add different lense(s) so you can match what you want to use it for with a certain lense. I bought two lenses, one with normal zoom range and one with more zoom (both with vibration reduction for action shots) and the camera body for around $875 on sale. My wife's husband has a Canon EOS too and is happy with it.
This is spot on. We have a Canon 20D Digital SLR & nothing beats having a fast, high res camera to get all the action/details. With a stable of one or two lenses you can really get the "hero" shots you want.

The main reason we have digital is because we are heavily into underwater photography; have been for almost 20 years. Basically, we've been into them since they first came out. But nothing ever matched the capabilities of a film SLR until the last 3 yrs or so when they finally got it all together in the digital SLRs. And the prices have REALLY come down.

FYI, the best place to get camera equipment is B&H Photo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ with Adorama a decent second choice: http://www.adorama.com. Ebay is only good IF you know what you want and IF the seller is well rated.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:31 am

We also bought the Nikon D5000 with extra lenses and so far love it. Still learning how to use it though so we may have a different opinion later but so far so good.

Carla

TM964x4

Post by TM964x4 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 pm

So far thank you all for the suggestions. You guys really carry a $800+ camera(s) in the field? Brave people :D

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:34 am

I don't carry it all the time, sometimes I carry a little point and shoot. Nikon, canon, and others all make a lower entry dslr for less money.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:37 am

I'm happy with my Panasonic DMC TS1. It's a 'tough' camera - waterproof, drop-proof, works in cold temps. It's slim and easily fits in a pocket. Takes pretty good pics for a point ' shoot at 12 megapixels. It's nice to have a camera that can take a little pounding :D Wasn't all that expensive either.

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:21 pm

I also use a canon and took it out at the last field trial with a zoom..... how dumb I was. :cry: Took several days for my back to recover. Looking into getting a harness of some kind before I ever try that again. Any suggestions?

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:39 am

I have a Canon Elph and it does okay in the field. Very small and light and has been durable. Love the recharging versus regular batteries. SLR's are big and expensive, but take the best pictures. I have thought the SX20 IS models, which are part point and shoot, but have up to 20X zooms and are under $350. I am a Canon fan. I would check out those IS type cameras. Good Luck