Feedback on 3 Midwest GSP Breeders

cast_and_blast

Feedback on 3 Midwest GSP Breeders

Post by cast_and_blast » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi -

Looking for a new GSP pup this Spring and have talked with both Top Gun in Iowa (Steve Ries), Sharp Shooters in WI (Clyde and Marilyn Vetter) and Willow Creek (Chad and Jodi Hines).

I'd love whatever feedback people have to offer - I like all 3 of them.

My goals: Great family dog that is a good "citizen" around our house, great hunting dog that can "turn it on" in the field for pheasant (MN, SD) and grouse. I'm a foot hunter so I don't need a big running field trial type dog, but I don't want to be shooing them out from underfoot either. Open on Male vs. Female.

If you'd prefer, feel free to send your comments via PM to me on this site.

Thank you for your help - much appreciated!

Scott

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Feedback on 3 Midwest GSP Breeders

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Don't know about the other two but Top Gun Is one of the premier breeders in the country. Have never heard of anyone being dissatisfied with one of their pups.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Scott,
I purchased a Top Gun female from Steve last June- flew to Iowa personally (from MA) so I could meet the man
behind the kennel name........ Steve did not dissapoint! A great guy, a reputable breeder & fantastic dogs!

My female Katy was in the Maine northwoods at 5 months old hunting Woodcock & Grouse, on MA WMA's at 6 months
of age hunting Pheasants. She is a pleasure to have in the house- GREAT temperment, great personality...... my wife
and boys love her. Katy has answered the call at every step of her training. I tested her 3 times in AKC JH tests and she
passed 3 times with average scores of 8.5

Katy is now almost 10 months old and I have her backing & she is green broke (steady to fall). She is getting ready to go through
a force fetch program and I expect no problems as her desire to please is through the roof. If you want some pictures, check my posts
or PM me for more info.

BOTTOM LINE: You absolutely can't go wrong if you get a Top Gun dog.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

cast_and_blast

Post by cast_and_blast » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Rob -

Katy is absolutely gorgeous - I love the solid liver head!

I really haven't heard a bad word about any of the three, but I must say that people *almost* gush when they talk about Top Gun and Steve Ries. I spoke with him on the phone after a few e-mails and he seems very nice and offers some nice perks as far as training opportunities.

Maybe I'll make the trek to Pheasant Fest 2010 (4 hour drive) and meet him in person. I know there will be pups there...might be dangerous. :)

Thank you for the feedback everyone - keep it coming. I'd like to decide in the next week.

Scott

windswept

Post by windswept » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Hey Cast.
I don't have a great deal to add as this conversation is already going the way I would expect. I am a new Top Gun customer and couldn't be more happy. Steve and his wife Jodi are top notch people. I visited with Steve about what I was looking for and he actually suggested I pass on a pup he had available at the time. He said that considering what I was looking for he would like to see me wait for a few extra months for a breeding that was about to take place. Every question I have sent their way has been responded to very quickly. These are people that will do alot more than just sell you a pup. They are there to help.
Oh, and if you are going to Pheasant Fest bring your check book. Steve has put together a package for the live auction Saturday night. He is donating a fully trained pup (either wait a year for him to train it or pick from one he already has available), a years worth of dog food and a very nice hunt package to a premiere shooting preserve in Iowa. All of the money raised will go to benefit PF.
P.S. See what Steve has upcoming out of his male, Sir Henry. VERY NICE dog.
Tom

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:42 am

Tom,
Was the breeding that Steve wanted you to wait for between Ace & Hemi?
If so, those pups would be full siblings to my Katy as Steve informed me last month that they decided to repeat
the breeding of Katy's parents after all the early, positive feedback from the pups
out of Ace/Hemi who were whelped last April.

I was just wondering............

Rob

windswept

Post by windswept » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:14 am

Rob,
No, the breeding Steve suggested I wait for was between Money and Henry. Sounds like things are going pretty well with your Katy. The Ace/Hemi breeding should produce some nice pups.
Tom

larue

Post by larue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:40 am

I have not seen topgun dogs run since I watched there jake dog run in ut tests along time ago,nor have a seen sharpshooter dogs run,for quite a while.
That being said I would not hesitate to look at them if I wanted a close working dog.
Clyde has been training quite a while now,and if a versatile dog was what you wanted,his navhda
work has proven that he has that.
Another name I will throw in the pot is Jim and donna rieser of shooting starr kennels,I believe they are still producing a few pups ever year.
If you look at both of the previous kennels foundation dogs,you will find a shooting starr dog in there.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:34 am

Clyde is a senior navhda judge and his testing record more than speaks for itself, many people consider him THE premier navhda GSP breeder and trainer in the country. To be honest though I think you would be happy with a sharp shooter,top gun dog, shooting star, or a pup from Jeff Chapman his website is www.iowahuntingdogtrainer.com. Ask a ton of question and tell them exactly what you are looking for, any should be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:11 am

There are lots of good GSP breeders out there. That's one of the strengths of the breed. Another is the gene pool. It's wide and deep.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:14 am

windswept wrote:Rob,
No, the breeding Steve suggested I wait for was between Money and Henry.
Now that's one breeding that I would love to get my hands on a pup from. Henry is the future of Top Gun.

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 am

You really cant go wrong with either breeders. Steve is a stand up guy that knows dogs. Seen his dogs run and been to a training seminar with him. Knows dogs and really takes pride in his operation. I also been to a training seminar of clyde vetters and he is fantastic with dogs. If you wanted to do NAVHDA, his stock is thoroughly tested through NAVHDA. Also a great guy. And I have met Chad and Jodi at some AKC hunt tests. Their dogs are well behaved and ran great. My friend just put in a deposit for a pup from Chad and Jodi and they were fantastic to deal with over the phone. Really take care in talking with you and finding out your needs and then matching up a litter that will fit your needs. I have had great experiences with all three breeders, mostly training experience, but they were all great people and definitely care about the breed.

toad82

Post by toad82 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Not saying any of the three are bad but have you checked into tom creek kennels? They are in nw iowa and I have hunted behind his dogs and have nothing bad to say. Although I have not hunted behind any of the other dogs. Tom creek kennels has a couple litters on the ground now. Maybe you or someone else might be interested. I do not think you would be disapointed. Sorry I had no feedback on the other three. todd

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 am

I thought I would comment on my experience with TopGun also. Everything you read here is true about TopGun. I have a female, Diamond, that will be one year old in May. She was from their Ace X Ally litter. When I called Steve to tell him how she was doing, he could have told me! He definately knows his dogs and is on top of their breeding program. I guide at several preserves and hunt every chance I get. I had worked Diamond on piegeons in launchers some and sensed she was bored quickly with them. I took her to one of the preserves I guide at which has strong flying birds that are released only and not planted. She was 6 months old at the time. To my suprise she held every bird and never offered to flush the bird before I flushed it or it flushed on its own. She retrieved every bird as well. After shooting 7 to 8 birds I dropped down a seasoned GSP female and she locked up on point @ 100 yrds down from me (I heard her beeper go off). As I approached her, Diamond was also. She naturally backed and honored every point after then on. From that day on, I have used her on my guide string and have been very pleased.

Around April 1, I will then complete her retriever training and start training for the hunt tests.

In saying all this, I believe it is equally important to make sure what you are looking for in a puppy. With my puppy, I was looking for a puppy that would work close for the preserves, be easy to train and have strong water drive. As you can tell in the pictures below I took while guiding for a father and his young son, I need closer working dogs that I can count on not being 200+ yards out from me.

I also read very good comments on John Prince of Princes Quality Gundogs out in Kansas if that is not too far from you to consider. You can read close to 90 positive feed backs on Gundogbreeders.com from his clients.

Thanks
Timmy Suggs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cast_and_blast

Post by cast_and_blast » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:15 am

Update:

I went to Pheasant Fest this past weekend and had a great time. Was able to spend some time talking to a few different breeders including Top Gun and Willow Creek. Both great breeders, lots of great info and it was good to be able to shake their hand and look them in the eye. :)

I have put down a deposit on a Top Gun puppy that should be ready to go home the end of June 2010. Undecided on male/female at this point, so Steve and Jodi put me in line on both sides.

Thanks to all who replied to this forum and also PM'd me - I appreciate all of your input and help and look forward to more of it as I transition from puppy search to puppy training.

Scott

windswept

Post by windswept » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Scott,
Congratulations! I'm sure you're going to be happy with your new Top Gun pup.
Now I'm curious, which breeding is your pup coming out of?
Tom

cast_and_blast

Post by cast_and_blast » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:56 pm

95% sure it will be out of the Higgins x Peaches litter. This was a AI breeding as Higgins is retired. 5% chance I'll have an opportunity to get a Higgins x Echo pup, it's possible but not likely. This litter is ~ 3 weeks earlier and is pretty well booked.

I'll be happy with either, I'm kinda partial to a solid liver head. Haven't even decided on Male vs. Female.

Scott

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Scott,
I was on the list last year for a Higgins/Echo pup- but then Higgins came down with
a prostate infection and the breeding was put off. I wound up with a pup from Ace/Hemi
and couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your Top Gun pup- either breeding, you won't be dissapointed........
Here's a picture a Katy & my boys the morning after I returned from Iowa when I picked
her up last June. Is this the solid liver head you seek? :wink:

Rob

cast_and_blast

Post by cast_and_blast » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:38 am

Yes, just like that! :)

Scott
GrayDawg wrote:Scott,
I was on the list last year for a Higgins/Echo pup- but then Higgins came down with
a prostate infection and the breeding was put off. I wound up with a pup from Ace/Hemi
and couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your Top Gun pup- either breeding, you won't be dissapointed........
Here's a picture a Katy & my boys the morning after I returned from Iowa when I picked
her up last June. Is this the solid liver head you seek? :wink:

Rob

cast_and_blast

Post by cast_and_blast » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 am

gpblitz wrote:Just what every puppy needs. Two young boys to romp with. :)
Or 3 boys in my case...they are going to have a blast!

Scott