A Fun Way to Spend a Saturday

Grange

A Fun Way to Spend a Saturday

Post by Grange » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 pm

My setter got cabin fever this week and made me get some quail and have a training day with my parents brittanies and my my brother-in-law's GWP

The chain gang is ready to go.

Casey getting styled up.

Casey on point.

A very nice back by the male, Hawkens.

releasing my english setter.

My english setter on a slammed point.

A couple more points by my english setter.

And finally and nice point by Hawkens with a back by Falcon and my english setter Tico.

From a different angle, which I like better.

ecater2218

Re: A Fun Way to Spend a Saturday

Post by ecater2218 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:52 am

Very nice pics. It looks so cold there. Queen (4 mos) hates the cold, but it was 62 degrees here Sat. and we all loved it.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:41 am

great pictures- sure looks like style to me

pretty setter

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:47 am

ecater2218 wrote:Very nice pics. It looks so cold there. Queen (4 mos) hates the cold, but it was 62 degrees here Sat. and we all loved it.

I'll bet it was one of the warmest days of the winter. Hit 36 here in N.IL. Notice they are just wearing sweat shirts. Got rid of more snow but suppose to get 6 to 10 inches again tonight. I had our dogs out yesterday and for the first time in a couple of months they didn't have to plow through snow and they sure covered the country, think they must have hunted most of the county. Found Time on point on a big rooster about 500 yards over the hill. They sure slept better when they came in after supper.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:59 am

Great pictures... excellent way to cure cabin-fever. Question... do you train your dogs specifically to back / honor another dog's point or do they come by it naturally?

( I am new to pointing dogs)

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:10 am

Thunder wrote:Great pictures... excellent way to cure cabin-fever. Question... do you train your dogs specifically to back / honor another dog's point or do they come by it naturally?

( I am new to pointing dogs)
The female brittany has always been a natural backer. The male brittany backed naturally part of the time, but with a little bit of training he now backs as well a the female. My setter isn't really much of a natural backer. She's done it a couple times, but I am training her to back, which is one of the things we worked on yesterday.

It was about 34 degrees yesterday, which wasn't as warm as the previous couple days, but this is probably is the lowest amount of snow we've had on the ground is some time.

WingmanCA

Post by WingmanCA » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:47 am

Nice pics of some good dog work.

Interesting note on your female Britt being a natural backer. My 6 year old female Britt, DeeDee has always been a natural backer. It surprised the heck out of me the first time I put out behind one of my veteran dogs when she was still a puppy and she backed the first point she saw.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 pm

interesting note indeed- my female naturally started to back at 4 months-
Last edited by Shadow on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm

The female brittany has been a solid backer since day one. The male naturally backed in his first trial and then was not 100% reliable for a little while. He would avoid looking at the dog on point to so he could 'claim he didn't see the dog'. With some training with a backing dog and remote release he became reliable and now backs very well. I'm just starting to work with my english setter on backing, but I'd rather focus getting her steady to wing and shot first.