premier brittany breeders

ohmymy111

Re: premier brittany breeders

Post by ohmymy111 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:04 am

The last litter is doing very well. I kept one of the males, Darius, and he is really impressing people. He is 18 months, and I have had bigger name breeder ask me about using him for stud. He has started running in competition in UKC and is doing pretty well. Has a ways to go to fill dad's shoes. The other pups from the litter are also doing very well. I have seen them in the field, and hunted in Montana with one of them. Looks like they are all taking after dad.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 am

wow lots of great info

also that vern is a very nice looking dog.

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:02 am

ezzy333 wrote:

I imagine you are also trying to bring up the controversy about Buddy getting into the field trial HOF. I don't understand why that should be an arguing point either since the Field Trial Hall of Fame is the HOF started and supported for the top field trial dogs. Buddy never competed in that venue so naturally he wouldn't qualify for it. Don't think he qualifies for the GSP HOF either. And there are a whole bunch of NFC.s that are not qualified to get into a NSTRA HOF where Buddy should be right at the top. And the wins you are showing are NSTRA wins primarily but were recorded by the AF back when AF supported NSTRA. But those were not AF trial wins even in the wildest of imaginations.

I just am at a loss why you think the very best NSTRA dog has to be defended when he has proven himself both in the field and with what he produces. But that doesn't make him or his offspring great field trial dogs as the records will show. And Nolans breeding record does not need defending either as he has done a great job with his dogs in the venues he has chosen.

Anyone that appreciates a good dog has to appreciate what Buddy has done in every way possible considering where and what he was involved.

Ezzy

I believe where the controversy comes in with the HOF issue is the dog shows on his pedigree it is(I believe) a 6 X AF champion. And yes they were all won in one hour braces at a national NSTRA/AF sanctioned event.They took place when AF and NSTRA were afiliated, so I guess the question one would ask is does/will AF honor those titles now that both venues have split.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:13 am

scott townsend wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

I imagine you are also trying to bring up the controversy about Buddy getting into the field trial HOF. I don't understand why that should be an arguing point either since the Field Trial Hall of Fame is the HOF started and supported for the top field trial dogs. Buddy never competed in that venue so naturally he wouldn't qualify for it. Don't think he qualifies for the GSP HOF either. And there are a whole bunch of NFC.s that are not qualified to get into a NSTRA HOF where Buddy should be right at the top. And the wins you are showing are NSTRA wins primarily but were recorded by the AF back when AF supported NSTRA. But those were not AF trial wins even in the wildest of imaginations.

I just am at a loss why you think the very best NSTRA dog has to be defended when he has proven himself both in the field and with what he produces. But that doesn't make him or his offspring great field trial dogs as the records will show. And Nolans breeding record does not need defending either as he has done a great job with his dogs in the venues he has chosen.

Anyone that appreciates a good dog has to appreciate what Buddy has done in every way possible considering where and what he was involved.

Ezzy

I believe where the controversy comes in with the HOF issue is the dog shows on his pedigree it is(I believe) a 6 X AF champion. And yes they were all won in one hour braces at a national NSTRA/AF sanctioned event.They took place when AF and NSTRA were afiliated, so I guess the question one would ask is does/will AF honor those titles now that both venues have split.
Yes AF still recognizes them I know that for a fact as I just got a report from them as to NLB's AF sanctioned recognized 1 hour wins and his runner up placements and his progeny :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:23 am

I am talking only in regards to use/honor those to qualify for entry into the AF HOF.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 pm

scott townsend wrote:I am talking only in regards to use/honor those to qualify for entry into the AF HOF.
That will be up to the public nominating one in large numbers and the Election Committee voting on it in the case of the Brittany Field Trial Hall of Fame. And one person nominating one and the BoD voting on it for the ABC Hall of Fame.

I think it very doubtful that Buddy, great dog he was, will ever be elected to the Brittany Field Trial Hall of Fame. He is deservedly already in the NSTRA Hall of Fame. Sure wouldn't hurt to get a a few hundred people to nominate him this summer and we will see.

Even if he does not make it into the BFTHF, perhaps he will the ABC HoF, he clearly is one of the greatest Brittanys to ever compete in any type of organized field trial event.

Neil

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Neil wrote:
scott townsend wrote:I am talking only in regards to use/honor those to qualify for entry into the AF HOF.
That will be up to the public nominating one in large numbers and the Election Committee voting on it in the case of the Brittany Field Trial Hall of Fame. And one person nominating one and the BoD voting on it for the ABC Hall of Fame.

I think it very doubtful that Buddy, great dog he was, will ever be elected to the Brittany Field Trial Hall of Fame. He is deservedly already in the NSTRA Hall of Fame. Sure wouldn't hurt to get a a few hundred people to nominate him this summer and we will see.

Even if he does not make it into the BFTHF, perhaps he will the ABC HoF, he clearly is one of the greatest Brittanys to ever compete in any type of organized field trial event.

Neil
Does the dog have to meet a certain criteria before or after nominating . I don't know what the process is, just wondering. I am picking up my first Brit next week. I may need to know in case I decide to change sides. :D :D

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:24 pm

It has to base off of how the dog did by notable records to breaking records and how the competed at national level and how they contributed to the breed through their progeny and their successes. At least that is how I understand it to be
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Razor

Post by Razor » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:57 pm

I would doubt he will get in. There are to many Britts with more than 6 actual AF CH, that are not in.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:28 pm

From the BFTHF web site:
Basic Criteria

Dogs and persons to be considered should have made and should be known for the significant contributions that have been made to the sport of field trialing.

The Hall of Fame honors dogs that are special and a tribute to their breed. These dogs should be ones that breeders look to when planning breedings. Viable candidates should have multiple hour wins in important championships and should have produced pups that are also multiple hour winners.
While NSTRA was recognized by American Field I think a case can be made that it is part of the "sport of field trialing", and certainly Nolan's Last Bullet, Buddy, made a significant contribution.

Neil

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:50 am

I just received the list of accomplishments of Buddy, Even more impressive when you look at the national championships. WoW!

Hope he gets in.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ky_field_trialer

Post by Ky_field_trialer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:06 am

I think one of te best Brittany breeders would be Nolan Huffman ,I run NSTRA and most of your Brittany's are out of Nolan's last bullet bloodlines, his dogs are very popular in NSTRA i don't know about hunters in the southeast though,but without a doubt I think he is very high on the list of best Brittany breeders

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Ky_field_trialer wrote:I think one of te best Brittany breeders would be Nolan Huffman ,I run NSTRA and most of your Brittany's are out of Nolan's last bullet bloodlines, his dogs are very popular in NSTRA i don't know about hunters in the southeast though,but without a doubt I think he is very high on the list of best Brittany breeders
I think you are right when it comes to producing nice hunting dogs.

Ezzy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Hmm here is a young dog that from what I hear is doing pretty good http://jimjohnkennels.com/dogs/RustysRoyalRun.html that would be a frozen NLB breeding
then the grand pups and those that have NLB in them seem to be making marks in the all age futurities last year and this year on the west coast pretty big wide open country here
One Brit in particular is doing pretty awesome is a NAFC FC Spanish Corral Sundance Kid aka Sonny
Another one she is Line bred NLB on the Dams side with Maxwells Blew by You on top that cross has been proving to be a pretty good match http://www.remekvizslas.net/dog.php4?id=56427 Lucy as she is maturing is running bigger and bigger as in running out of course Paul Doiron is running her but you can see by her record she is already a FC and an American Field CH and she isn't 3 years old yet her half sister Blew By Yet? is also an FC before 2 1/2

To bad people are only now giving the NLB stuff a chance in AKC as many turned up their noses when they heard NLB name till a few people gave his lines a chance
Peter Gunn also National Gun dog Open and Amateur
there are more dogs out there that are Bred with NLB in them that are making their mark with FC titles

Anyways ..Yes they make for some very nice hunting dogs out here in the west also where we have some hunters that like the bigger ranging dogs and since they tend to be smart dogs that love to hunt for birds many are very quick to learn where the best places are to check for birds :mrgreen:

Had Nolan had the extra time and weekends to try it maybe he could have done it but Nolan as is devoted just about every weekend year round for about 10 years driving to trials and winning with Buddy to get to that 32 time champion which PS if is was so easy there would be more dogs there and as of yet no one else has gotten there

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:10 pm

In no particular order.

Bob Lanham (back in the day)
Roscoe Staton
Jim John
Dave Walker
Jimmy Johnson
Martha Greenlee
Delmar McAlister
Scott Johnson
Jeff Isch

You should be able to get a good Brittany from one of these folks.

Also I wanted to pose this question with the nstra vs horseback conversation going on again. How common is a 10x nstra ch. How common is a 10x all age ch. Just wondering really.

On a side note I got the rare pleasure of seeing Jim de Bobs Sparks A Dan D and Millers Silver Bullet run in 1995. Both at the top of their game. Sparky was a super Brittany. He would have gotten curb stomped by Bullett. Don't want to start a fight just making an observation.

On a side note you don't need to defend something that can stand on its own merit. Buddy was fantastic at what he did. End of story.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 pm

NLB'S accomplishments are not surprising when you note the "fountainhead" from where he came. Holliday Britt a Delmar Smith dog not only gave us NLB, but also Rimarda's Trademark, Bazooks Brandy, Hi Proof Rumrunner, The Real Thing and all the other notable dogs that fill the gaps between each dog mentioned and Holliday Britt.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:05 am

kninebirddog wrote: To bad people are only now giving the NLB stuff a chance in AKC as many turned up their noses when they heard NLB name till a few people gave his lines a chance
there are more dogs out there that are Bred with NLB in them that are making their mark with
IMO it's largely because he was bred so many times. I know dogs directly out of NLB who had no other field trial breeding, and they couldn't make it in the AKC would. So I think its a little misleading to say people are just now noticing. People have tried, and it didn't work for them. The real question would be how many FC's and AFC's are out there that came from NLB being bred to a regular old no name hunting dog? Sonny and Pete both have NLB in their pedigrees, but both of their Sires were NC's with no NLB blood on that side. Kinda of hard to give NLB all the credit when he was the great grand sire, and the other side of the breedings is loaded with FC's, NFC's and HOF dogs. In know way shape or form is this a bash against NLB. He's done far more for brittanys outside the AKC world then any other dog. He proved himself to be a great producer of hunting dogs and NASTRA champions.

RCB

Post by RCB » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I have been researching a lot of brittanys and their respective pedigrees and have noted that a good amount of field champions have a significant portion of their pedigree that hold a whole section of show champions. Usually it is half of the dam or sires pedigree (25% of total pedigree) so I would not find it unusually to see successful horseback field trial brittanys with non horseback field trial competitors like NLB in there as well. I would assume many brittany breeders would prefer a section with NLB instead of show dogs but the dual emphasis of many breeders would probably disagree. I have fiddled with gsps for some time and you rarely see show dogs in field champion shorthair pedigrees so my brittany research has been enlightening.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:43 pm

jetjockey wrote:
kninebirddog wrote: To bad people are only now giving the NLB stuff a chance in AKC as many turned up their noses when they heard NLB name till a few people gave his lines a chance
there are more dogs out there that are Bred with NLB in them that are making their mark with
IMO it's largely because he was bred so many times. I know dogs directly out of NLB who had no other field trial breeding, and they couldn't make it in the AKC would. So I think its a little misleading to say people are just now noticing. People have tried, and it didn't work for them. The real question would be how many FC's and AFC's are out there that came from NLB being bred to a regular old no name hunting dog? Sonny and Pete both have NLB in their pedigrees, but both of their Sires were NC's with no NLB blood on that side. Kinda of hard to give NLB all the credit when he was the great grand sire, and the other side of the breedings is loaded with FC's, NFC's and HOF dogs. In know way shape or form is this a bash against NLB. He's done far more for brittanys outside the AKC world then any other dog. He proved himself to be a great producer of hunting dogs and NASTRA champions.
Same could be said for a lot of Great contenders out there Ban Dee , Scipio Spinks, Beans Blaze, Microdot, Shambo's Dark Shadow, Tequila Joker to name the most frequent talked about names in litters, What can they send on in their lines do they carry on no matter the female they are bred to or like some dogs do they actually have a little pre-potency to really put their stamp on a pup.
But then again it is what you actually go research and find out about what dogs are doing what..and what makes up their pedigree..are the West coast all age Mid West all age or East coast all age or are they American Field Shooting dog :wink:
So is the next generation really only now a frozen generation..Should we start calling these frozen breedings everybody goes for the Frozen Chosen or Presbyterian lines :lol: ....

Premier dog wonder whats the next one out there That lucky dog that lands in the hands of a person that has the time and money and motivation to get their dog there and give up their weekends or have the money to campaign with Paul Doiron Jim John or one of the other top known trainers out there. Time and $$$$$$$$$$$ and a dog with great desire and heart to play our game That is all it takes for the next Hall of Fame Potential :wink:

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:28 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
Premier dog wonder whats the next one out there That lucky dog that lands in the hands of a person that has the time and money and motivation to get their dog there and give up their weekends or have the money to campaign with Paul Doiron Jim John or one of the other top known trainers out there. Time and $$$$$$$$$$$ and a dog with great desire and heart to play our game That is all it takes for the next Hall of Fame Potential :wink:
I haven't owned a Brittany since way back in the olden days when we still had real Brits, in the 60s & early 70s. :P Never-the-less, the above quote applies to all gundogs of any breed that perform in sanctioned events requiring the highest levels of training, a great deal of travel & more than nominal entry fees.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:42 am

kninebirddog wrote: Same could be said for a lot of Great contenders out there Ban Dee , Scipio Spinks, Beans Blaze, Microdot, Shambo's Dark Shadow, Tequila Joker to name the most frequent talked about names in litters, What can they send on in their lines do they carry on no matter the female they are bred to or like some dogs do they actually have a little pre-potency to really put their stamp on a pup.
But then again it is what you actually go research and find out about what dogs are doing what..and what makes up their pedigree..are the West coast all age Mid West all age or East coast all age or are they American Field Shooting dog :wink:
So is the next generation really only now a frozen generation..Should we start calling these frozen breedings everybody goes for the Frozen Chosen or Presbyterian lines :lol: ....

That's my point exactly. NLB hasnt produced much in the line of AKC HB dogs without a lot of help from the dam he's matched up with. Especially when you consider how many times he was bred. Other dogs have.......

As far as West Coast AA vs East Coast vs Midwest.... Come brace day at Booneville, nobody cares where the dog comes from. And dogs from all three areas have won, with the last to winnersof the open coming off the East coast, and the last two Amateur winners coming off the West coast.

That's the nice thing about Brits though. We have a nice variation among the breed between big running trial dogs and close hunting foot dogs, and everything in between.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:10 am

I'm drooling while reading this thread! This is truly great stuff. Since we are on the Shambo and NLB train of thought... I thought I would share my latest pic of my NLB and Shambo line bred 11 month old male. It's nice to have great NLB lines and Shambo lines in my immediate area. He has amazing drive, nose, and retrieving ability... keeps up with our labs during water work. He works out to 250 or so yards fairly consistently when in open terrain, and tightens up when stalking the Rhodo chickens. I'm very happy with my west/east lines mix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

g7777777

Post by g7777777 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:33 am

We have had all the pointing breeds over the years and field trialed all the way but have migrated to French Brittanies- the smallest of the pointing dogs

Not a breeder but I do have pups to try and improve the breed and you can see a couple on my webpage

have a male and female pup available and a couple of older dogs

my direct email is gnbug@prodigy.net

cell is 515-554-7208

Gene