premier brittany breeders

springpoint

premier brittany breeders

Post by springpoint » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:53 pm

I was reading the post on the german shorthair breeders and a few people said that top gun gsp's is known as one of the premier breeders in the country and i was wondering who you guys think are the premeir brittany breeders that are producing dogs for the foothunter and family.

sowbellybass

Re: premier brittany breeders

Post by sowbellybass » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 pm

sent you a pm

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 am

Frank and Donna Pride of Eustis Maine in Summer and somewhere next to some trial grounds in Arkansas the rest of the year.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 am

There are many good breeders through out the country but I can't name a single premier breeder in the Brittany fraternity. Many of the best dogs come from people who run there own dogs in trials or shows. The pro-handlers are not as a rule breeding like they do in some other breeds. Our Brittany club has many mid-west and national winners and I don't think there is one of those dogs that came from "a breeder." It appears to me that most of our dogs are being bred by hobbyist and many of them stay in the general area where they are raised. Kind of a good deal when you realize there are so many good dogs within the breed that there aren't just a few predominant lines like you see in many breeds. Plus many are being bred for dual qualities that spreads the breeders out more from different backgrounds. So many of the good ones com from people with a couple of dogs and that raise a litter occasionally.

JMO
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:28 am

might check out Gene and Nevetta Salmons, near Liberty, IL. Nevene Kennels. They have a website, but i cant remember the address. Google it and you should find it easy. They bred my dog, and always have some good young dogs coming up.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 am

I have probably seen most of he titled dogs found on pedigrees work in the field.I know a lot of Brittany people from all over the country and am aware of their breedings. I agree with Ezzy that there is no breeder that I would say is above most of the others in producing quality dogs.
Nice thing about the breed is that with just a little work they make most of their owners very happy so you will get a lot of suggestions and probably it will be the kennel that person bought their dog from

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:35 am

What about Ben O. Williams? I don't have any experience with Brittanies, only pointers but I have seen his dogs work on television and read his book. Sounds like he might have some decent hunting dogs and family dogs. Just a suggestion as I have absolutely no experience with this breed.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:24 pm

i dont think Ben Williams sells any dogs- just gives away pups to certain hand picked people. think i read that somewhere.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:What about Ben O. Williams? I don't have any experience with Brittanies, only pointers but I have seen his dogs work on television and read his book. Sounds like he might have some decent hunting dogs and family dogs. Just a suggestion as I have absolutely no experience with this breed.
I agree, Ben O. Williams has his own line although he may breed more for hisself than to sell pups.

Also I cannot believe anyone hasnt metions Nolan Huffman, all the brittney guys I know go coocoo for Nolans last bullet bloodlines. 3/4 of the Brittneys you see for sale are either Nolans Last bullet or .........Bandee (who I think was 5th on the Hall of fame vote in 2009, so he will be in it in the next few years)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Bandee is the best dog I have ever seen but how is he connected to Nolan? My dogs all go back to Bandee through Bean's Blaze but again they aren't through one breeder. You do see a lot of Nolan's Last Bullet if you look in the SE of the country but he is not in many field trial dogs. He was a great NSTRA dog and he has produced some good pups for the foot hunter and NSTRA enthusist. Seems every pup I see advertised from Kentucky or Tennessee is trying to capitalize on his popularity in that area. I like most of what I have seen of them as they are attractively marked, the right size, and have a lot of field ability. Trialers are not as enthused because of the lack of run. All of that said Nolan is probably qualified at least in his area of the country and with the foot hunter.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:09 pm

About all that I can add to what has already been said, is that I have my favorite Brittany people that I will contact when looking for a new Brittany: Doug Seickmeyer in Nebraska, Dave Walker in Idaho and the Riggles in PA. All have dogs that I would be happy to take a puppy from.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Sorry, I didnt mean Bandee went back to Nolan, just that he was a big named Brittney. I was meaning what you said about Nolans last bullet. Look at the britt puppies for sale sights online, I bet you cant find one sight that doesnt have pups from Nolans last bullet line.

I may be wrong, I know there are horseback brittneys, but I think most people looking for a Brittney pup are wanting either a NSTRA dog or a wild birddog/family dog.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:Sorry, I didnt mean Bandee went back to Nolan, just that he was a big named Brittney. I was meaning what you said about Nolans last bullet. Look at the britt puppies for sale sights online, I bet you cant find one sight that doesnt have pups from Nolans last bullet line.

I may be wrong, I know there are horseback brittneys, but I think most people looking for a Brittney pup are wanting either a NSTRA dog or a wild birddog/family dog.
No Buddy dogs in my lines. :D
Nothing against Nolan's, he was a great dog, I just went a different way.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:Sorry, I didnt mean Bandee went back to Nolan, just that he was a big named Brittney. I was meaning what you said about Nolans last bullet. Look at the britt puppies for sale sights online, I bet you cant find one sight that doesnt have pups from Nolans last bullet line.

Bandee was a Dual Champion that was the NFC two years in a row. On top of that he became a predominant sire and his line is still going forward. I don't think the word wild bird dog is even thought about. People want a birddog/hunting dog/family dog. Plus a nice looking one. Most want a close working dog that is easy to control. I think that is the general type Bullet fit into but you will not find a lot of his breeding in people wanting a trial type dog. However, I see it starting to show up occasionally so I am sure you will see more of it in the future.

I see some predominant bloodlines but few predominant breeders. That is probably a healthy situation for the breed.

Ezzy

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:02 pm

springpoint wrote:I was reading the post on the german shorthair breeders and a few people said that top gun gsp's is known as one of the premier breeders in the country and i was wondering who you guys think are the premeir brittany breeders that are producing dogs for the foothunter and family.
This was the question at the start of the thread, even if you do not have or like the Nolans last bullet line, how can you say Nolan Huffman cannot be on this list.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:05 pm

how can you say Nolan Huffman cannot be on this list.
I didn't see that anyone said that.

Ezzy

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:02 pm

I have to agree with what many others here have posted. After 25 years competing with Brittanys I can't really point to just one particular breeder for gun dogs. It tends to be certain dogs/lines. Also another thing I've seen with Brittanys is that a lot of the breeders have both all age and gun dogs so I don't think they tend to specialize in just one or the other. Including some that the same dog runs in both types of stakes.

Originally I had primarily show type lines when I started into showing but the last 10 years or so I've had mainly field lines that I've competed in obedience, agility, & rally with. My biggest brag dog is a little liver female whose grandsire is FC/AFC Hi Scor Jac D Ruffian. She had earned a total of 10 titles by the time she was 3 1/2 years old.
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm

I am told by a friend that Karen Stout of Country Road in Indiana is a very successful breeder.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
how can you say Nolan Huffman cannot be on this list.
I didn't see that anyone said that.

Ezzy
I guess no one said that, just the way I took it that the topic was steering that way.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:16 pm

vabrittfan wrote:I have to agree with what many others here have posted. After 25 years competing with Brittanys I can't really point to just one particular breeder for gun dogs. It tends to be certain dogs/lines. Also another thing I've seen with Brittanys is that a lot of the breeders have both all age and gun dogs so I don't think they tend to specialize in just one or the other. Including some that the same dog runs in both types of stakes.

Originally I had primarily show type lines when I started into showing but the last 10 years or so I've had mainly field lines that I've competed in obedience, agility, & rally with. My biggest brag dog is a little liver female whose grandsire is FC/AFC Hi Scor Jac D Ruffian. She had earned a total of 10 titles by the time she was 3 1/2 years old.
Nobody asked who the best breeder of brittneys was. They just asked who some of the premeir breeders were, or who to buy a dog from.

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I must agree with Ezzy that there are alot of good breeders of Britts. I can't say that their is a "premeir breeder" that is heads and heels above others. What a person must decide is what traits he is looking for in a britt. Lets say a person is looking for an all age fire breather. Then you must look at the lines that are winning all the time. Do your research the best you can and then put your money down. That does not mean that you are going to be the one that ends up with a fire breather out of a litter. Try to get the very best breeding out there and it will make life alot better. If you are breeding dogs try to do your very best to turn out the best pups.
Birddog 307

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Nolans Last bullets aka Buddy his Grandfather is Bullet Proof II who sired Hi Proof Rum Runner HOF
In Buddys 5 generation there is Scipio spinx, Pacolet Cheyenne Sam, Brandys Bullet, Bazookas brandy, Jacolets Cheyenne Souix, Perrys Rustic prince, Ban dee

There are a lot of very nice dogs out there can't really say there is one end all dog
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:30 pm

i've been looking at brittany's as i really like them, and the reason i asked this question is when i look at the pedigrees on alot of websites you see alot of the same dogs farther back in the pedigrees. the all age dogs look to be a little bigger statured dogs.

I guess what i'm getting at what dogs would you like to see in the pedigree for a top notch foot hunting dog, that's good in the house

bean blaze
tequila's joker
nolan's last bullet
renegade kansas kid
microdot
rum runner

these are alot of the dogs i see numorous times in alot of pedigrees.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:39 pm

springpoint wrote:i've been looking at brittany's as i really like them, and the reason i asked this question is when i look at the pedigrees on alot of websites you see alot of the same dogs farther back in the pedigrees. the all age dogs look to be a little bigger statured dogs.

I guess what i'm getting at what dogs would you like to see in the pedigree for a top notch foot hunting dog, that's good in the house

bean blaze
tequila's joker
nolan's last bullet
renegade kansas kid
microdot
rum runner

these are alot of the dogs i see numorous times in alot of pedigrees.
My girl has Kansas Kid in her pedigree a few times. She can really stretch out when running field trials, but when we hunt, she closes in for a really nice for foot hunting. She's great in the house. She's roughly 19" at the shoulder and is around 35 lbs. My little guy is only 29 lbs, and has Microdot in him. When he decides to run, it's nothing to have him 1/4 mile or more out in front (the Astro is a blessing here). He's really nice in the house as well. From what I've heard on this forum, many all age dogs are foot hunted quite successfully. I don't know if you really know what you'll get until you see it. JMO though. I'm happy with my Britts, so I don't think you could really go wrong. One is from the Riggle's in PA (as mentioned in one of the first posts) and my girl is from here in Canada.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Paying attention to pedigrees is a good thing But do not let that be the only thing you look at Both dam and sire should have the desired traits in the field if they don't the fancy papers isn't going to make up for the lack that the dam and or sire has
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:09 pm

thanks guys

i was wondering if you have heard of a kennel called tainter creek they are located in wisconsin, and have a lot of the maverick blood line in there kennel, i was wondering if anyone has heard of them or seen anydogs by them.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 pm

One of the nicest things about britts is that you can teach them to run as big or as small as you like. One of the reasons that I have britts to this day is that they are the most teachable breed that I have hunted behind.
A pedigree will show you where the dog came from but will not guarrantee you that the dog will hunt. The other problem is that you may never get the chance to see the line members work a field.
If you have the time, you might want to take a small trip, say a weekend, and visit several kennels and watch the sire and dam hunt. A respectable breeder will be more than willing to work his dogs for you. Than you will have some idea as to which lines fit your bill.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm

springpoint wrote:thanks guys

i was wondering if you have heard of a kennel called tainter creek they are located in wisconsin, and have a lot of the maverick blood line in there kennel, i was wondering if anyone has heard of them or seen anydogs by them.
I have seen a whopping total of 1 Brittany from that kennel, and that was a male that was whelped in '00, sired by Tainer Creek Charolais and out of Tainter Creek Miss Princess.

I'm no Brittany fan, but I'd hunt over that dog any day of the week, and as a trial dog I could have done some winning as well. Pure birddog with good nose and very good point. Style wasn't what I am use to in GSPs but the dog's application and stability around game more than made up for it. The dog needed to be worked on a regular basis or it would go a bit flat and get a little sloppy, but that may have been training as a much as breeding.

FWIW,
Dave

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:26 am

Dave Quindt wrote:
springpoint wrote:
I'm no Brittany fan, but I'd hunt over that dog any day of the week
FWIW,
Dave
Dave - out of curiosity - what about the Brittany breed turns you off? I'm going to be getting another bird dog after a bit and am evaluating all breeds. I'd like to hear your opinion on the Brit.

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm

thanks for all the information guys, i found the post about brittany's being one of the quickest learning breeds to be very interesting and one of the reasons i'm intrigued by the breed.

do most people with brittany experience find them quick learners and easy to handle in the field

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 pm

I've found that my 2 have been quick to pick things up, and are very biddable in the field. I've also handled a couple other Britts that handled beautifully for me, and I had never dealt with them before. They are a great dog, but that is my opinion.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 pm

I would say that most find their brittanys to be easy to train and extremely able gundogs. The hardest part about training a brittany is keeping your mouth shut and letting them learn. Britts are the one dog that virtually train themselves.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:41 pm

My experience with 2 Britts was the same. My Katie turned into a "bleep" good gun dog despite all the bone-headed moves her trainer made. I doubt if very many hunted with more heart than she did. About 30 pounds soaking wet, and she would run the leggy males into the ground every outing. Those boys would be back looking for water, and Kate would be out on yet another point.

She was a very active dog, and could be hyper at home. Looking back, I think I didn't exercise her enough in the off season. Poor babe was bored.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm

3Britts wrote:I would say that most find their brittanys to be easy to train and extremely able gundogs. The hardest part about training a brittany is keeping your mouth shut and letting them learn. Britts are the one dog that virtually train themselves.
I agree-

I started my two 4 month olds in pheasants

how they act in the house is based on how you raise them- mine have been living in the house- matter of fact- every Britt I've had has been in the house as much as in the kennel

springpoint- give Bruce (Tainer Creek Brittany's) a call- go visit- he hunts his Britt's in a few states

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 pm

thanks guys

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:09 pm

not looking to start a fight but i was wondering if there is any difference between american and french britts besides price, number of breeders and color.

i guess what i'm looking at is your chance of getting a good dog better in the american lines

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:09 pm

az- are you saying your small Britt can go without water

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:24 pm

I think you will find the French Britts are touted as being more of a foot handled/closer hunter like the breed was originally when it came from France. But then I've heard many folks talk about their all-age dogs being able to adapt readily to foot hunting. I think the dog knows to hunt differently depending on the terrain/species of birds you are hunting.

I'm not going to get into the whole French vs American thing because at least twice a year a huge fight comes up on the Britt lists about it just like the field vs show thing.

I will say that I think Brittanys are very easy to train. They are probably a little softer than some of the other breeds regarding corrections. Also, they do not do well as kennel dogs. They thrive more as part of the family.

I would recommend you go with some of the recommendations you've heard and check the breeders out and get to know them and their dogs. Maybe try to watch them run in some trials or go hunting with them.

Sorry I'm not much help. I've bought all my Britts pretty much sight unseen from all around the country :)
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:36 pm

In my experience the French Britt is by no means less dog than the American. (Same backgrounds) In fact there is less fluctuation in the breed as a whole. Such as FT show hunt, etc. I have had both and have had better luck with the French Britts with Ruffs which is why I keep them . But not to say that I have not seen many Am. Brit that I would not love to own. Folks think the French Brit is close working, that is a matter of where you hunt like most dogs. And how you raise them. Closer than Trial bred Brits for sure but mine will go from 50 to 150 in grouse woods and open up more in field or open hunting or trials. So just like all intellegent dogs they do what they need to find birds. I would never say my dogs would be a 1/4mile away though. I am too slow for that any way.

Remember a lot of what you find in a bird dog type is what a breeder breeds for on a consistant basis. Also how you have them at home in the field what and how you expose them to stuff and how much you let them explore learn and run on their own.
anyway that is my nickle.

Rick

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:41 pm

springpoint wrote:not looking to start a fight but i was wondering if there is any difference between american and french britts besides price, number of breeders and color.

i guess what i'm looking at is your chance of getting a good dog better in the american lines
french brittanys are better actors and can get their owners wrapped around their paws faster then their american counterparts :lol:

As for better chances ..Look at the breeder and what they are doing....this goes for any breed you are looking at getting ...are they really breeding for producing quality pups with both dam and sire having the traits to produce a pup that will do what you seek to do or are they just filling a market because they have a papered dog that has a titled dog in the back ground

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:43 pm

thanks again guys so much good info here for me to ponder

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Shadow wrote:az- are you saying your small Britt can go without water
Yep. She had this big hump on her back. At first I thought it was a growth. Turned out to be a CAMEL hump :lol:

Nah - she'd just rather hunt than do anything else. I had to call her in to make sure she stayed hydrated, whereas some of her huntmates came walking back in regularly.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:55 pm

I will say that I think Brittanys are very easy to train. They are probably a little softer than some of the other breeds regarding corrections. Also, they do not do well as kennel dogs. They thrive more as part of the family.
I have seen this exact statement about every breed their is. I like to have them in the house where you interact more but they do fine in a kennel as well. I have had kennel dogs for many many years.

I do think they mature quicker than a GSP but that doesn't necessarily make them better. Just a difference. And they are a little softer and possibly easier to train depending on your style.

Ezzy

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:38 pm

AzHusker wrote:
Shadow wrote:az- are you saying your small Britt can go without water
Yep. She had this big hump on her back. At first I thought it was a growth. Turned out to be a CAMEL hump :lol:

Nah - she'd just rather hunt than do anything else. I had to call her in to make sure she stayed hydrated, whereas some of her huntmates came walking back in regularly.
good reply-

I've got 4 Britt's- awfully dry country arround here- they need water- thought maybe you'd found a secret

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:14 am

Ruffshooter wrote:In my experience the French Britt is by no means less dog than the American. (Same backgrounds) In fact there is less fluctuation in the breed as a whole. Folks think the French Brit is close working, that is a matter of where you hunt like most dogs. And how you raise them. Closer than Trial bred Brits for sure but mine will go from 50 to 150 in grouse woods and open up more in field or open hunting or trials. So just like all intellegent dogs they do what they need to find birds. I would never say my dogs would be a 1/4mile away though. I am too slow for that any way.
I have seen a horseback All-Age Field Champion French Brittany ( FC Le Grand Tank Du Fayette) at a mile + on my Garmin, it is a myth and a marketing ploy that they are close hunters. They are great dogs and will run with the best of them. I saw the same dog have 3 finds in 18 minutes at the Ames Plantation, when most other dogs (nearly all pointers) were going birdless for the hour. He has 18 AKC placements, and counting.

You would think that they would be beating a path to his door to breed good EB's to him, but nope, they seem more interesting in selling the myth than improving the breed (line).

Neil

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:16 am

Neil that is fun to hear.
Rick

Rick

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:29 pm

I have a question when looking at brittany's i see that they have there own ack breed club nationals. I was wondering how big to all age dogs have to run in akc compared to the american field all age trials.

neil that is really nice to here about that french britt is that ack trials or american field trials.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:51 pm

No dogs run bigger than American Field pointer/setters, a few GSP's are close, and I suspect there may be some Britts that might give it a shot, but truly an American Field All-Age Championship is a pointer stake.

Our Brittanys rarely run against them, but we can and do win some in Shooting Dog, recently my Azul has 4 hour placements, defeating over 100 pointers. Hi-Proof Whizki has a couple of All-Age American Field pointer wins.

Tank, the French Brittany has mostly AKC wins, but has ran in the Ames Amateur All-Age (on the same grounds and courses that the National Championship is held) and as I said with 3 finds in 18 minutes one year, acquitted himself well against American Field pointers.

We have our own championships so there is no need to compare our dogs to pointers, we only have to beat other Brittanys, which is hard enough.

My answer is somewhat misleading as many of the Brittany stakes are sanctioned by AKC, American Field, and AFTCA, but I think when you said American Field you meant pointer.

Neil

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 pm

thanks neil i'm not very versed in the trial formates but yes i did mean pointer stakes as that is what mostly wins the american field all age stakes from what i read.

thanks again

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Neil

Correct me if Im wrong, but Ive heard the EP's at Ames don't really run all that big because Ames is fairly tight, unlike the plaines. Ive also been told that an AA dog is an AA dog no matter what breed it is. The difference is not how big they run, but how long they run. Ive been told the same thing from pointer, and brit guys. Ive had the opportunity to see some pretty good AA brits run in the plaines, and it is a sight to see. I can't imagin a dog running much bigger because you would never see them, let alone handle them.