cutting nails

basspow

cutting nails

Post by basspow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 am

How do you restrain an unrualy britt when it comes to cutting the nails. she used to be a kennel dog, she is now a house dog.
I don't have a groming table. She won't let me touch her feet. :?

Brittguy

Re: cutting nails

Post by Brittguy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 am

I have had problems even with dogs that have never been hurt. I often use a Dremel , coarse drum and slow speed does not upset dogs as much as fast.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 am

All of my dogs are started on whoa breaking at 2 or 3 months old. I teach them on a barrel, they learn very very fast to stay on the barrel with a check chord on there collar then tied around there flank so I can pick them up like a suitcase. That is when I cut there nails, usually just dew claws because they keep there nail wore down on there own.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:44 am

basspow wrote:How do you restrain an unrualy britt when it comes to cutting the nails. she used to be a kennel dog, she is now a house dog.
I don't have a groming table. She won't let me touch her feet. :?

Will she lay on her back for you?

basspow

Post by basspow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Problem Solved. Took her to the local Petco, 8 bucks

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:13 pm

And i bet the dog was an angel for the groomer right?

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 pm

I used to quick SMokey a ton with standard clippers. She saw them and ran. A couple times it looked like someone had performed surgey in our bathroom. I switched to a nive cordless 7.2 Volt Dremel and she doesn't run.....as fast :lol: ....and she tolerates me touching her feet. I was skeptical it could bring such a change but they work great.

I paid 12 bucks at the groomer for a nail trim. did that a half dozen times before i realized the dremel was 50 bucks'ish
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:35 pm

does the Dremel generate any heat on the nail?

mrrosey

Post by mrrosey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:56 pm

I start clipping nails the day after i get the puppy home. Easy clips often only the tip and maybe only a few toes, we clip often. We end with a treat. By 6 months I can easily back off to a full clipping only when necessary. I can't say she can't wait for her treat but the clip iping of nails is not a war.

k2k

Post by k2k » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 pm

The dremel does heat up the nail. You should only keep it on each nail for about 3 seconds. I just do one foot at a time and go around several times.

There's a lady who breeds dobies and has a great instructional on how to dremel nails on her website. I can't remember the site name tho...

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:03 pm

-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Our dog is obsessed with belly rubs and we use that to our advantage. My wife rubs his belly while i quickly run through his nails with clippers. He won't tolerate it any other way.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:41 pm

if you want to take the time to teach this dog to allow you to trim her nails...... (if not, just take her to the groomer)
Get some great treats...... something the dogs absolutely loves!

Get the dog up on a table of some sort, and put a leash on her. Tie the leash up somehow so she can't jump off and escape.

Start by simply giving the dog a rub down, when she relaxes and begins to enjoy, give her a treat. Rub some more, treat. Slowly and quietly run your hand down her leg, if she allows it, treat.

Let her down.

Tomorrow... do it all again, paying attention to all four legs. Treat when she is calm. Pick up one paw and just rub it gently for just a second. Treat. Rub all over her body, down leg, pick up paw, treat.

Don't attempt to cut the nails yet, not till you can at least hold the foot without protest. Once that is accomplished it's just a matter of very quietly getting her used to pressure on the foot and then the nails.

If you do this a couple of times a day, within a week you should be able to finish the job. Treat her after each toenail cut at first. Then each foot. Then when done. Don't make a battle out of it... relax and breath.
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm

when I use the Dremel , I don't grind in one complete operation. I do one toe then the one next to it when I have done the last on that paw I go back to the first toe to finish.Even with a good dog it is hard to clip dark nails without ever going to short.

k2k

Post by k2k » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Yes, that is the one! Very informative site.

Thanks for posting that up, Elizabeth!

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 am

Brittguy wrote:when I use the Dremel , I don't grind in one complete operation. I do one toe then the one next to it when I have done the last on that paw I go back to the first toe to finish.Even with a good dog it is hard to clip dark nails without ever going to short.
Very true. And it's best not to do a constant dremmel on each nail either. Do it in "spurts" so that the nail doesn't heat up & get uncomfortable.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:28 am

Fuzznut gives good advice. I have circumvented the acclimation procedure a bit by getting very young pups accustomed to the sound of the Dremel. I will run it while the pups are feeding at 4-5 weeks. A week later, I will start holding each pup in my lap with the Dremel running in my other hand while I handle feet. Then I will start to "touch" the Dremel to a nail occassionally...calming the pup in between. Only takes a few days, a bit of pressure, and they accept it.

The advice about not working one nail too long is good...those sand paper wheels generate some heat.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:23 pm

When I get a pup, I play with their feet and start cutting their nails every 2 days. I don't actually cut them every time, of course, but I put them on their backs and act like I'm cutting them. My friends have always been amazed at how my dogs just lay on their backs as I cut their nails. If you start when they are pups, it is really easy. I know that may not help you with this dog, but maybe in the future. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:27 pm

I just say "shake your paw" and she hands me her paw, I trim up the nails and she sets the leg down, then I tap her left leg and say "shake your paw" then she hands me her left paw (if I don't tap the left leg I'll keep getting the right paw )

not really :lol:

While she does shake her paw like that if she sees the nail clippers she'll slink off, I call her back and she'll crawl back to me and lay on her back I trim the nails with a little resistance but not bad. I quicked her once so she doesn't like her nails trimmed but tolerates it when demanded of her.

on a side note, I gotta keep her nails trimmed up pretty good, she uses her nails like a cat its kinda weird but she'll flex them like a house cat and it'll draw blood, specially on people with thin or brittle skin.

jbogacki76

Post by jbogacki76 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 pm

My female is horrible. I play with her feet, and rub her leg and she is fine. I take the clippers out and she takes off. So, I solved it like this.

I take Hailey on a good hour run. Let her play all day long. Eventually she will pass out solid. I am able to usually cut her fronts or backs in one sitting. I tried the table, to restrain her and it doesnt work. So, I take the laid back approach. This is the easiest way I found to get this completed. It works for me.