Miller Bred Pointers

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Miller Bred Pointers

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:31 am

Yawallac wrote:Craig,

The beauty is that you can take most any "line" of Pointer and do anything you want with it. It has much more to do with the owner than it does the dog. Your dog's sire is by HTA bred to a Miller female. Your dog's dam is 100% Rebel (Dbl Whippoorwill's Rebel). That means that his pedigree is 75% All Age Horseback! :D
Some years back I was down at Gunsmoke kennels to pick out a pup. I asked Bill Holmes this question: "My intention is to trial this dog in shooting dog stakes. Do you think she will make it? "

His answer was:

"She has the breeding and the conformation to be able to do just about anything you want her to do. What you make of her is pretty much up to you."

With a well bred, talented dog, I agree it is up to the trainer to make of them what they want.

RayG

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:55 pm

RayG is all over this issue and I couldn't agree more. I have now owned two well bred Miller's dogs and am a "birdhunter"not a field trialer. My male was a great wild bird dog and I would have put him up against any others dog out there. I am in the process of breaking my second and after her first year and season, I have no doubts she will make another dog that many would wish to walk behind. One of my best friends, who was the owner of Newmark Meagan that produced many of the top Millers dogs, told me not to be scared of the "field trial" stigma as these dogs were born to find birds. He is right. It is a great line like many others out there. It's kinda like preferring Fords or Chevys. You sure can't argue with success though.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Ya but the Miller dogs are more like Cadillacs, still a GM product, just a step above the rest in my humble opinion. :D

I just traded a well bred 6 year old Elhew male I have had for a few years and is a solid wild quail dog and a decent wild pheasant dog for a couple of new pups from a litter of old school pointer bloodlines including Miller, Fiddler, Whippoorwill etc. because I like the Miller and Fiddler dogs that much. I am not a trialer either just a wild bird hunter. I know they seem to be naturals when it comes to training. I train on wild birds as well as hunt them and mine picked it up really quickly even relocating and nailing running pheasant, retrieving naturally, loves water, and adjusts her range from quail to pheasant without much instruction even at just 2 1/2 years old. I really like the Miller dogs.

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Tommyboy, comparing Miller's bred dog's to Cadillac's is a good one!!! Much better than my comparison of Ford's and Chevy's. I had a Elhew dog that I liked, but the drive and bird finding ability that I have found in the Miller bloodline is hard to beat. I think they are real nice dogs, not to say there aren't others out there that are good as well.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks Crappie. I have heard really good things about Barshoe dogs as well but am not familiar with that bloodline. I only know of Miller dogs what I have garnered on this website, my own experience with my Miller female, and what little I have read about Ferrell Miller and his dogs, breeding practices and his unfortunate situation, and some from a trialer buddy of mine. So far I am really happy with the Miller dogs.