FLOATING RIB??

Gundogs/Nebraska

FLOATING RIB??

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:35 pm

Has anyone seen a floating rib? What could you describe it to be like?

I seen a EP about a year ago that had one rib really stick out it's side. (this EP was around 8 years old) I asked the breeder what that was and he said it was caused from the dog blowing his lungs up so much. (I thought that was an odd answer, but I figured he would know) Now, I just seen a GSP pup (10 weeks old) have the same thing, but it didn't stick out as much as the EP I had seen a year ago..

So I did a little checking on the internet and can't find a picture of a floating rib, but in discription it sounds like what I have seen in the two particular dogs. Now this is something I have seen in two different breeds. Is this common in all breeds? I have been raising Labradors for 16 years and have never had a pup and/or purchased a lab that had this deffect, but according to the internet, it could be seen in labradors as well.

Very interesting in my opinion.

Can anyone tell me if they have seen this and if you have. Are the dogs that you have seen with this defect, are they being used in breeding programs? Or is it hereditary?

Just curious.

Thanks for your time..
HRCH UH Ramblin Man's Jade of Honor MH
HR Platte Valley's Play Girl SH
Platte Valley's Joy Ride JR

OhioVizsla

Re: FLOATING RIB??

Post by OhioVizsla » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:41 pm

I think it's the last rib that you're referring to. My Vizsla has an "outy" on one side only. Our vet said that the last rib could curve in, curve out, or be "regular".

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I have a French Britt. with a floater on his rt. side. I asked the Vet what it was (dog in for exam.) as I did not know
what it was. It is regular shaped but never felt "connected". Vet said it was no big deal & not to worry about it.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:19 am

A dog we bred had a floating rib. It was noticeable, but many people told us it wasn't a big deal and that it probably wouldn't even hold her up too much from finishing in the show ring. It's not a health risk, it's not hereditary and it's is basically just 'one of those things' that happens sometimes.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:38 am

I don't think the original post is describing a floating rib. Floating rib is not attached while what is described is a rib that isn't curved in like it should be and therefore sticks out and is very noticeable when looking at a shorthaired dog.

JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.