two intact males co-exist?

HUTCH

two intact males co-exist?

Post by HUTCH » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:18 pm

I am considering getting another dog and I really dont want to get a female and worry about puppies but I am worried that if I get another male that he may fight with my current dog. anyone who has multiple male dogs do they fught alot? any suggestions as to how to help them co exist? thanks.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:46 pm

I don't know about living together ALL the time, but my male's best friend is his "cousin," an intact weim. During holidays they've spent a number of days together, mostly wearing each other out. Each one gets territorial from time to time, but they work it out without fuss.

I'll never forget when Rudy took a piece of chewed, worn rawhide from under Justus' paws. Justus retaliated by taking a meaty-mammoth-bone right from Rudy's jaws, right after he got it given to him. That weim just blinked in disbelief, but no scuffles were had over the incident. We all got a good laugh (Justus was 8 months old at the time and literally half Rudy's size).

I think if they're socialized right, especially if you got a male pup as your 2nd dog, they'd co-exist fine. I would be cautious though... because the hierarchy is bound to come crashing down at some point in time and you gotta be able to separate them when it does.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:41 am

I have always had males, in fact getting my first female next month.

As to your question, I have found it depends on the dogs, as to is your current dog an alpha? And also to the dogs ages. My experience at home with a few different dogs was as followed.

When I had a very dominent dog at home, everything was fine until about age 3 of the pup, at that point he was mature and decided it was time to test the old guy. I want you to understand up to that point the dogs had gotten along great, things just changed.

The second time I had to dogs was the same alpha and a very soft pup, plus at this point the alpha was about 8 years old. This went much smoother although the older was was a little grumpy for about a month.

My last case is 2 pups, one 2 year old and now 11 month old adding these to was very easy and I had had no problems to speak of. I must comment though, the old dog needed alot of extra attention for about the first couple wekks to help him adjust. I will have to wait till they are about 3 to see if any additional problem pop up.

Hope my experiences help.

Regards,

Rob :wink:

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:20 am

It's important that the original dog is set up as top dog by you, maybe at some stage the younger one will move into this position because the other is old or happy to allow this, but the problems occur when the lower ranking dog is unwittingly treated by the owner as the top ranking dog, and so it challenges the other dog because it feels it has your backing in this, and so the older dog has to put it in it's place, and then the owner tells the older dog off and it all escalates from there.

You get the picture?

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:44 am

I've got three males Brittany's, they don't fight anymore than playing quite a bit. But huntign time is hunting time.

A buddy of mine has two males dogs kenneled right next to each other and next to three females, those tow have never fought!