dog bottle

jfreeman GSP

dog bottle

Post by jfreeman GSP » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:53 am

Hello, if I may impose on you'll again I would like to know what kind of a dog water bottle works best and where to find them.
Also, besides water what do you use to keep your dog from getting dehydrated in hot weather in the field, thanks very much.
Jimmy

Birddogz

Re: dog bottle

Post by Birddogz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Any bottle will work, just buy a collapsible bowl and stick it in your vest.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Water, if I remember correctly electrolytes are not advised under normal circumstances, but I have heard of Vets using them on dogs that are in bad shape, not what you are describing.

Some people give carb supplements after a hard day's work, is that what you are referring to?

You can give the dog a banana they really like them.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Any squirt bottle. Just let them drink it from the bottle. And at times when they are refusing water you can just squirt it into their chops and keep them hydrated rather they want it or not.

Sometimes I'll have to bait water to get extra fluids in them. But this is usually in cold weather. For mine anyway keeping them hydrated in the cold is much harder than on a warm day. By baiting I mean just dropping a few pieces of food into a bowl of water. They'll drink all or most of the water when they otherwise wouldn't touch it before. This I usually will do after a hunt or between spots at the truck.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:36 pm

All squirt bottles are not all created equal...some will allow the dog to lick/push the nozzle shut very easily, others with a flip top will find that top breaking very easily...try several water brands and see what works best for your dog's manner of drinking.
Some bottles may be too large in diameter for handiness and will be clumsy to use as well.
For me, the best is a Casey's water bottle.

If you can avoid using a bowl, I would.

I float my dog's dry food of an evening but they both love water thru the day....hot or cold.
Water is equally important for the hunter in any weather...when your dog drinks, you drink...and vice-versa if possible.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Ditch__Parrot wrote:Any squirt bottle. Just let them drink it from the bottle. And at times when they are refusing water you can just squirt it into their chops and keep them hydrated rather they want it or not.

Sometimes I'll have to bait water to get extra fluids in them. But this is usually in cold weather. For mine anyway keeping them hydrated in the cold is much harder than on a warm day. By baiting I mean just dropping a few pieces of food into a bowl of water. They'll drink all or most of the water when they otherwise wouldn't touch it before. This I usually will do after a hunt or between spots at the truck.
I had the same problem in cold weather. I take a little low sodium chicken broth and squirt it in some water. They drink the heck out of it.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Birddogz wrote:
I had the same problem in cold weather. I take a little low sodium chicken broth and squirt it in some water. They drink the heck out of it.
That's an awesome idea. Do you just mix it up ahead of time? I'm thinking just pour some in a regular 16 oz. water bottle and fill it the rest of the way with water. Not necessary in hot weather, but seems like it sure could make a difference when it's cold.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 pm

I know guys that do that with Crystal Light, anything like that works too.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:22 pm

mcbosco wrote:I know guys that do that with Crystal Light, anything like that works too.
Artificial sweetners and dogs don't mix. I wouldn't use Crystal Light. I have heard that sugarless gum is very bad for dogs. :cry:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Xylitol is the bad one but I agree..ASPCA doesn't list Aspartame as harmful to dogs, though

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Is there a list of how many dogs have died by giving them Crystal Light? :roll: I give mine the powdered drink mixes from Wal Mart in the summer. They are the exact same thing as Pedialyte. Check the back of the box. I did before I started giving it to my 2 1/2 year old and my 10 month old sons. I figure if it hasn't even hurt much less killed a dog yet and it is good enough for my young sons then it must be ok for my hunting dogs.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 am

Another way around the water bottle is a camelback, or a hydration backpack I've noticed thet they even started selling an off brand of these with replaceable bags at walmart. Haven't gotten one yet but will before summer. I think they were like $20.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Is there a list of how many dogs have died by giving them Crystal Light? :roll: I give mine the powdered drink mixes from Wal Mart in the summer. They are the exact same thing as Pedialyte. Check the back of the box. I did before I started giving it to my 2 1/2 year old and my 10 month old sons. I figure if it hasn't even hurt much less killed a dog yet and it is good enough for my young sons then it must be ok for my hunting dogs.
Xylitol is the bad one. Your statement about it being o.k. for your kid and thus o.k. for your dog is not always true though. Raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, chocolate, onions, garlic, mushrooms, etc. are not good for dogs, but are fine for your kids.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I have never understood putting stuff in water just to get a dog to drink. Dogs drink when they want to and they are not shy about drinking water. There are usually several times a day to offer water.

I can understand a supplement after a vigorous workout but any type of fruit does the trick, especially a banana .

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Yes and the black crispy stuff on barbequed meat is carcinogenic to humans as is diet coke and tobacco and cheddar cheese ruins your bird dog's nose. I don't give my dogs chocolate but I do give them table scraps with onions, garlic, and mushroooms all the time and so far, uhhhhhhh no illness or death that I recall. There are all types of rumors out there with inadequate, false, or biased research data to prove it. Bottom line is you give your dog what you want and I give mine what I want. Some things I give mine you might not even consider giving your dog and mine have had no problems with it.

I did go to the AVMA website and read some of the articles about xylitol poisoning but only numbers of cases in certain years were mentioned. Nothing was mentioned of specific products, the amount of xylitol required per body weight to poison a dog, the size of any of the dogs that were poisoned, the types of products or specific brand names of products or the amounts of xylitol in those products. The articles on this website were vague and this is supposed to be the premier animal medical website. Sorry I am not buying any of the government rhetoric just like I don't buy that air and water cause cancer in people.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:56 pm

I feed my dogs scraps as well. I just would try to avoid certain foods. I hope you are not suggesting that tobacco doesn't contribute to cancer. As a physician I can assure you it is bad news. I am an ex-smoker by the way. This site is a very informative one. A little garlic on a burger won't hurt a bit. Onions are what are potentially bad.

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogandpuppyhea ... icfood.htm

Kory

Post by Kory » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Kory

Post by Kory » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:07 pm

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Go to Walmart and go to the camping section. There should be a bunch of $1.87 water bottles.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 pm

I smoke now but just to give you something to think about doc do you remember in history books anything about any of our forefathers such as George Washington, Ben Franklin, John Hancock having cancer. They were farmers and smokers of tobacco and probably smoked for most of their lives and no cancer. Why now is tobacco the biggest leading cause of cancer and heart problems. Why do cigarette manufacturers have to spend millions of dollars a year on advertising promoting non smoking. Government, health insurance and medical industry propaganda. Has anyone ever truely seen the actual trial results of a medical trial relating the health issues of non smokers to smokers? Has anyone ever participated in one? Just for reference I am a detention deputy and do not work in the tobacco industry. I just think smokers, chewers, dippers, etc. get a bad rap as does the tobacco industry. The medical industry is always coming out with new things that cause cancer and then 10 years later come back and recant their research and statements so I am not real confident in the medical industry, doctors, or researchers at all. JMO.

Tom

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:56 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I smoke now but just to give you something to think about doc do you remember in history books anything about any of our forefathers such as George Washington, Ben Franklin, John Hancock having cancer. They were farmers and smokers of tobacco and probably smoked for most of their lives and no cancer. Why now is tobacco the biggest leading cause of cancer and heart problems. Why do cigarette manufacturers have to spend millions of dollars a year on advertising promoting non smoking. Government, health insurance and medical industry propaganda. Has anyone ever truely seen the actual trial results of a medical trial relating the health issues of non smokers to smokers? Has anyone ever participated in one? Just for reference I am a detention deputy and do not work in the tobacco industry. I just think smokers, chewers, dippers, etc. get a bad rap as does the tobacco industry. The medical industry is always coming out with new things that cause cancer and then 10 years later come back and recant their research and statements so I am not real confident in the medical industry, doctors, or researchers at all. JMO.

Tom
I can assure you that many pioneers died of cancer. Many didn't know what it was, or didn't live long enough to get cancer. People died of the flu or heart disease. Cancer and tobacco use is very well documented. The reason that cig companies are so bad is because they add drugs that are not necessary for flavor so they can addict more people. Acid aldehyde is one of them. Trust me it isn't propaganda, it is fact. There are numerous studies supporting the dangers of smoking.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 pm

mcbosco wrote:I have never understood putting stuff in water just to get a dog to drink. Dogs drink when they want to and they are not shy about drinking water. There are usually several times a day to offer water.

I can understand a supplement after a vigorous workout but any type of fruit does the trick, especially a banana .
??????? A banana ??????

kjay

Post by kjay » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:16 pm

I use an old Gatorade Bottle from a previous hunt. Not just the regular Gatorade bottle either, I use the sport bottle type with the twist spout and squirt it into his mouth. This led him to think he can drink outta any bottle too, cuz he thinks he should have some beer as well after the day is over. Anyways Gatorade bottle with the sport top works well I have several of them for him now, and they are cheap and if you loose one not that big of deal.

Cheers,

Kris

jfreeman GSP

Post by jfreeman GSP » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:31 am

actually I am using what I am told is a water bottle for a hampster cage with a float ball of some kind to keep it from
just pouring out, you have to squeez it a little to get enough for the dog but he doesn't have a problem with it and the
spout is metal and he can't chew it up or destroy it, it has worked fine and came from wal mart fairly cheap I just need a belt
carring case sewed for it now.
Jimmy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:56 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I smoke now but just to give you something to think about doc do you remember in history books anything about any of our forefathers such as George Washington, Ben Franklin, John Hancock having cancer. They were farmers and smokers of tobacco and probably smoked for most of their lives and no cancer. Why now is tobacco the biggest leading cause of cancer and heart problems. Why do cigarette manufacturers have to spend millions of dollars a year on advertising promoting non smoking. Government, health insurance and medical industry propaganda. Has anyone ever truely seen the actual trial results of a medical trial relating the health issues of non smokers to smokers? Has anyone ever participated in one? Just for reference I am a detention deputy and do not work in the tobacco industry. I just think smokers, chewers, dippers, etc. get a bad rap as does the tobacco industry. The medical industry is always coming out with new things that cause cancer and then 10 years later come back and recant their research and statements so I am not real confident in the medical industry, doctors, or researchers at all. JMO.

Tom
Tom, I thought the reason our forfathers didn't get cancer was because they smoked opium. :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:34 pm

They may have had it but felt no pain so it didn't matter. :D

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Hey man, don't tell anybody on here that I smoke too. 8)

oops, I just made a mistake a 6th grader would have made. :oops: Now everybody knows. :lol:

I have the same feelings as you, concerning the government and their studies.. I believe genetics play a bigger role than anything. However, I am convinced that we are putting ourselves at a much higher risk than non-smokers. :(

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Probably so Charlie but I am going to go out on a limb and say cigarettes, namely nicotine, has save my life. If it weren't for nicotine I would have choked the life out of someone by now and probably be serving a life sentence in prison. :lol:

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:41 am

I use the Gatorade bottles with the twist tops, they rarely leak and can be opened easy even with gloves on. The Tracks and Treads bottles look cool, might have to buy a few for door prizes at our Pheasants Forever banquet.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:48 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Is there a list of how many dogs have died by giving them Crystal Light? :roll: I give mine the powdered drink mixes from Wal Mart in the summer. They are the exact same thing as Pedialyte. Check the back of the box. I did before I started giving it to my 2 1/2 year old and my 10 month old sons. I figure if it hasn't even hurt much less killed a dog yet and it is good enough for my young sons then it must be ok for my hunting dogs.
FWI Pedialyte makes a powder drink mix and it would be more exactly like pedialyte than crystal light. I am sure there is an off brand of that too - it's with the kids medications section