CRAZY QUESTION!!!

Gundogs/Nebraska

CRAZY QUESTION!!!

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:44 pm

I just had a gentleman contact me about possibly leasing one of my females out for one breeding. I have never leased a dog out, I know it has been done, but wouldn't even know where to start.

I'm not sure I would do this, but if I decided too. So what I'm asking is, what all is done to lease a dog out? What would a person charge? How would you register the dogs by the breeder who did the breeding (obviously, I wouldn't be the one doing the breeding) because I own the female, but wouldn't have any part of the mating.

I know I'm probably leaving A LOT out, but if someone could help me out and point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
HRCH UH Ramblin Man's Jade of Honor MH
HR Platte Valley's Play Girl SH
Platte Valley's Joy Ride JR

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: CRAZY QUESTION!!!

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:09 pm

AKC has a lease form that is filled out and submitted for approval. Basically it makes the person leasing the bitch a temporary owner. The lease is for the period of before the tie to after the pups are born. Dates need to be specified on teh app. form.

When I did it, I did it for a pup.

Doug

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks for the information Doug.
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:AKC has a lease form that is filled out and submitted for approval. Basically it makes the person leasing the bitch a temporary owner. The lease is for the period of before the tie to after the pups are born. Dates need to be specified on teh app. form.

When I did it, I did it for a pup.

Doug

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:36 pm

It's essentially a contract. It's up to you to negotiate the terms of the contract. Anything that I wanted out of the deal, I would put in writing. Not to be a legal beagle about it, but to cut down on misunderstandings and resulting hard feelings.

Greg J.

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks Greg
Greg Jennings wrote:It's essentially a contract. It's up to you to negotiate the terms of the contract. Anything that I wanted out of the deal, I would put in writing. Not to be a legal beagle about it, but to cut down on misunderstandings and resulting hard feelings.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Dont forget insurance!!!!

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:06 pm

On the litter reg form through the american field. You specify if the sire and dam are owner or leasee. You need to decide what you want out of the deal, money, pup. You need to discuse if he is going to keep your female from the point she comes into heat until the pups are weaned, or if you will have her back between breeding and whelping. Discuss shots and worming scheduels, feeding arrangements, loss of pups at whelping (for instance if you want a pup out of the deal and she only has 1 or if you want a certain sex and there is only one or none), death of female during whelping, vet bills while he has your female, travel plans if the person lives some distance from you.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:14 pm

I did it once. He paid all expense and took care of he bitch through weaning.My fee was a certain amount for each live puppy. It turned out to be more than the cost of one puppy.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:36 pm

I would say that doing it for a pup would be on the extreme low end. I would not offer a female for lease for less than $2500.

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Ross,

Thanks for your input.
Yawallac wrote:I would say that doing it for a pup would be on the extreme low end. I would not offer a female for lease for less than $2500.

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:08 pm

All in all... When it comes down to it. I would be out a breeding for myself and/or possibly out a hunting season when mother nature calls.. I don't EVER breed a female back to back, so if I did lease her, I would be out a complete year for that female as far as her breeding cycle goes..

I don't know. I think leasing a dog would almost be a BIG loss on my end.

Thanks everyone for your input.