English Setter in my future - am I in the right place?

Triggernosis

English Setter in my future - am I in the right place?

Post by Triggernosis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:07 am

I'm considering getting an English setter after my current Lab passes on (now 10 yrs. old and in failing health). What I'd like is a general companion, house dog, and occasional hunting partner when I go to the farm.
Am I in the right forum for such a dog, or should I go somewhere else to hang out? I notice that many of the discussions here have to do with field-trialing and the intricacies of dog training and breeding. I don't want a high-strung field-trial type dog by any means, but neither do I want a so-called english setter that doesn't know what a bird is or how to set 'em.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: English Setter in my future - am I in the right place?

Post by shags » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 am

Hey, I woke up my four 'high-strung field trial type' setters and told them what you said, and they resemble that remark :lol: One of them snarled a little bit before he laid his head back down on my foot and went back to sleep, so I could tell he is really PO'ed :lol:

Anyway, what you see is what you get...this is one of the more informative pointing dog boards IMO. You'll no doubt need some training advice at some time, and you may have health/wellness questions as well. There are numerous 'just huntin'' boards around, but in my experience many of the posters on them have more questions than answers.

Good luck with your search for the right setter for you.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:58 am

Welcome to the GD forum. Yes there are a lot of trialers or people that would like to trial here, but most of us hunt too. Many times the advice is the same. Enjoy...and I look forward to hearing about your up and coming puppy.
Tom

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:13 pm

This board is generally steered in the GSP direction but we are gaining on'em. :)

This is the best board I have found. The mods run a tight ship here so you won't see a lot of crap, just good dog information. WElcome...

Charles

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:04 pm

I've heard of a couple good ES litters coming up that if I was in the market for such a thing I'd be beatin' down their doors.

Heard the Mauck boys are breeding Erick's multi AA champ. TM Patriot to Alex's multi SD champ female Lou. Would be worth looking at.
http://www.tekoamountainsetters.com/dogIndex.php

Saw Terry Erickson post a Jetsetter breeding to his RUCh bitch (See Johnny Run x Hick Rising Sun female). Also worth looking at.
http://utahbirddogs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7302

Here's a crazy big runnin' multi RU 1 hour SD champ setter retrieving a sharpie for her 70 year old handler...she snoozes in the house and has a favorite casserole.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:15 pm

I sure wish I knew how to post pictures. You would enjoy seeing my high strung field trial champion on our couch with his stuffed rabbit.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Litter due this Spring in Ontario . Not that far from N.C.

Ch Zyggi's Dixie Magic ( Region 13 Am. Walking Shooting Dog Championship - 2009 )

sire: CH Grouse feather Trooper ( Alan Dunbar's kennel)

http://www.settersunlimited.com/infoz.a ... 91&c=9&d=4

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/ ... rtrait.jpg

http://www.setterawards.com/images/2009 ... tpoint.jpg
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Triggernosis

Post by Triggernosis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks for the responses and welcome, gentlemen (sorry - you too, Sharon - you must've been typing your post as I was typing mine).

You'll have to forgive me, as I didn't mean to imply that field-trialing setters were in any way a bad thing, but my life experience has been with Labradors and the current strain of field-trialing Labs is certainly not the kind of gentle, easy-going companion dog that you'd want to take along on an easy autumn-day hunt in the woods. My current English Lab (Fortune's Supernova - aka "Nova") IS that type of dog and I'm going to have to replace him in the not too distant future. I've been spoiled by his easy-going nature, controllability, and manners in public - I want the same in a setter.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Not to worry. We are all used to the language surrounding " field trialing and /or hunting " dogs. :) Very hard to offend anyone when it comes to that subject. :wink:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:59 am

I came to this forum a total newbie 2-3 years ago and have found it immensely valuable. I now have a wonderful companion, family pet, and terrific hunting dog that has added a new dimension to my life. I just gloss over some of the threads that don't apply to or may not interest me.

There are people on this site who are hardcore breeders/trialers - dogs are their whole lives. But I have found I always get a legitimate, straight, and helpful answer to any questions from these same people, even though they are way outta my league in a dog sense. So if the long and short of it is you need a place to learn training tips, health info, etc, you are by all means in the right place.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:23 pm

I see you are in Eastern North Carolina. That is where I lived when I got my English Setter. She will be 9 years old next month and still going strong. I got her in Warsaw N.C. from Bill Faust. She is a fantastic pheasant and quail dog even though I have Pointers now and she is getting older I still get her out and hunt her mainly for pheasant. She doesn't run as big or as far as she used to but still has a choke bore nose on her. When you decide to get a Setter don't forget to look right in your own backyard.

Tom

Triggernosis

Post by Triggernosis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks, Tom. I'll certainly put Mr. Faust on my list of look-see's. I'd much prefer to get one locally if I can, that way I can do a real thorough visit and see how the parents and other relatives behave and hunt.

Tom A.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:54 pm

When I got my Setter 9 years ago Mr. Faust was in his 60's or 70's so I hope he is still around but he had several Setters and Pointers as well. I am sure he would not mind you touring his facility.

lawoodcocker

Post by lawoodcocker » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 am

I'm due to pick up my 8 week old Llewellin next weekend. I'll try to gets some pics up!

lawoodcocker

Post by lawoodcocker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:20 pm

HighCotton,
I came real close to choosing your kennel. If you would have had a litter from Twister / Katrina on the ground, I would have been all over it. Chose King Llwellins instead.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Tom -

Welcome aboard.

First let me say that I am sorry to hear about your current hunting partner's health difficulties. That is never easy, or rather it SHOULD never be easy.

Anyway, yes I do think you are in the right place.

As far as which breed and which specific litter(s) within that breed, there are a lot of very nice, very stylish and classy setters out there. Certainly plenty for you to choose from. It is far more important what you think of the sire and the dam, after you have seen them perform in the field, that what kind of labels someone might want to put on a dog.

It is even more important what kind of training you get done with the dog, and what kind of bond you develop.

A fairly successful pointer breeder once told me something I will pass on to you...

"This dog is well bred. She has bred into her, all the tools and the abilities to do pretty much whatever you ask her to do. I did my part...the rest is up to you.

He was speaking specifically about pointers, but I believe his sentiment is very much true for any of the pointing breeds.

Do not shy away from some of the best breeding out there...if it is in there, you do not have to use it if you do not need it. But if it ain't in there and you need it...you're stuck.

BTW, I just had one of my field trial pointers(4 year old female with shooting dog and all age placements) out in the barn with me while I was moving a stack of hay from the front of the barn to the rear. After she got done cruising the brn for mice and such, she climbed up on the hay that I was moving and laid up there on a bale, watching me. Every time I went close by, got up, stretched out and gave me a lick as I gave her a scratch and a pat on the head. Then she sat back down like a little sphynx, watching me go back and forth. When I got to the bales she was on, she climbed down, with just a bit of an indignant look and went to the back of the barn and climbed up on the new stack.

Good dogs know when to turn it on and when to turn it off. Just remember to check out the parents because the apple don't fall too far from the tree.

RayG

Triggernosis

Post by Triggernosis » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and pointers, Ray.
I'm just so spoiled by my current dog and I see so many high-strung, uncontrollable dogs (of all breeds) that I just don't won't to bite off the wrong bloodline and get a doozy.
Tom
Eastern N.C.