Needing a new training ATV/UTV looking for ideas

hpvizslas

Needing a new training ATV/UTV looking for ideas

Post by hpvizslas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Just found out that my four wheeler is beyond repair, so if I can convince the wife of the need I will be looking for a new ATV/UTV. Are there any opinions on which ones work the best? Would a UTV be better than an ATV?

Thanks
Jeff

Shadow

Re: Needing a new training ATV/UTV looking for ideas

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 pm

beyond repair- would you give it away

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 pm

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:02 pm

i just bought a 2008 bayou 250cc atv so far it has done everything i need it to do and there not to bad priced. but if i could i would buy one like yawallac has seems you could do alot more with one than you can with a atv and when winter comes put the cover around it and a little heater and your ready to go
kick'em up knock'em down

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:40 pm

If you plan on carting dogs around a lot, a UTV is by far a better choice. An ATV is much cheaper and easier to get around on.

If I were to buy a UTV, I'd first look at a used Polaris Ranger.
Around our hunt club, a lot of folks drive gas golf carts with offroad tires, which are very handy provided you don't need something that can handle rough terrain.

If I were to buy another ATV, I'd probably look at something in the 250-300 cc range. I have a Yamaha 250 Beartracker and it's perfect. It doesn't drive like a boat like the bigger models do but I can still fit a crate on the back. It's also REALLY good on gas.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:46 pm

I like the ATV, seems a little more versitile to me......

I havent gotten around to building a set of boxes for it yet, just been straping a pair down.
I plan on having a custom box built to mount on Arctic Cats speed rack system thats under the dump
bed. Then I can take it off and on as needed. I picked this one up with less than 200 miles on it for a
song....I dont think many kids own these so they may not be beat up used....mine was like new, it an

The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 pm

I like the polaris ATV or Ranger, but have a 500 sportsman. You need one that can pull out a moose as well as train dogs. I am now building a log arch for it so I can get some maple logs to sell and some cedar to carve. Some times when I go hunting I strap a big crate on back and can put two dogs in it. I think this year I will build a real dog box for it.

The UTV may be the way to get your wife to want to get one. "Honey we can go for long moon lit rides and park on the hill listeing to the loons, How romantic it would be to have you by my side sweety".

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 pm

There is better ways than I show here. But the one on the left is mine. I bought a cargo hauler and just attach it to the ATV. My buddy with a smaller box just strapped his on back. Both work. One reason I like the ATV over the UTV is I feel like I have more control over the ATV in the tight, slippry, hilly stuff. Also they are a bit cheaper.
The UTV like shown above looks like it is the bomb, but where I live it would not be allowed on some of the trails. There is a 52 inch restriction. In my picture we was at the end of a trail that only foot, atv, horse and moter bikes are allowed.
Now they do make a UTV that is called the Razor and it is the same width as my wheeler. Problem you have is they cost a mint and there is not a good place to put the rack/dogs.
If you have the coin, no restrictions and not really doing much on the hills I would for sure go with the UTV.
Another thing. Depends on how much other uses beside dog stuff you use it for but you can pick up some older 2 wheel drive machines for next to nothing.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:42 am

i will put a picture of mine up tomorrow. but like i said mine is a 2008 bayou 250cc 2 wheel drive atv and my grandpa bought it for me to use to run dogs with. and he only paid 2064.00 with tax. it is made by Kawasaki it is smaller than the artic cat atv shown above. i drove mine 10 miles today in second and third gear when i was running the dogs and used no gas witch is a big plus even though it only holds 2 gallons of gas.
kick'em up knock'em down

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:50 am

Holds everything you need. Additionally I purchased the heater, RangerWare cab enclosure, and radio. Used it yesterday and can't imagine training/trialing without it... To say the least, it gets a bath multiple times a week. But then again, it also costs big. Word is in alot of states, you can tag the vehicle with little modifications.
KN

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:06 pm

kylenicholas02 wrote: Holds everything you need. Additionally I purchased the heater, RangerWare cab enclosure, and radio. Used it yesterday and can't imagine training/trialing without it... To say the least, it gets a bath multiple times a week. But then again, it also costs big. Word is in alot of states, you can tag the vehicle with little modifications.
That is nice! That does hold true, at least in Utah as long as the road is posted -less than 40 mph, the vehicle has break/turn signals a horn and headlights, your good to go.....

The best part of that machine is the Beer Holder! No wheeler has one of them standard!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Are there any opinions on which ones work the best?
1hp., keeps going when the road ends, fuels itself up while you get off to work dogs, made in the US:

gspdog

Post by gspdog » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:22 pm

Ok dgfavor we've seen your 1 hp model. How about some pics of your utv.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:23 pm

DGFavor wrote:1hp., keeps going when the road ends, fuels itself up while you get off to work dogs, made in the US:
And goes where the birds are right

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:04 am

Has any one used or know someone that has one of the Japanese Mini Trucks?
From what I have seen they are reasonable priced and most are 4x4 with all the extras like full cab, AC, heat, and 4x6' bed with fold down sides and tailgate, same about size and wt. as the Ranger and Mule.
Wanted to know if they can go all the places a UTV can.
Has anyone used one and really think it is as good as, or better than a Ranger, or Mule?
Scott
Hi-Tailyn Shorthairs
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Ok dgfavor we've seen your 1 hp model. How about some pics of your utv.
:lol: :lol: I do have a Polaris Ranger but honestly it's never left the place except to go road dogs along the canal bank from my house. If we go hunting or training we've usually got horses or boots.

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:44 pm

How's your ice cold beer do while bouncing around on that horse? :)
KN

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Folks think bird dogs guys get smooth gaited horses so they can be comfortable for the long haul but it's really to keep yer beer from foaming up!! Go check out the champagne class at a local gaited horse show...same concept just rednecked up a bit!! :lol: :lol:

My buddy Rich has the insulated saddle bags that'll keep 'em chilled too! :lol: :lol:

Back on topic - I do think a UTV is a good way to go for doing the dog thing. Usually when we all go hunting or working dogs, we've got someone with us so it's nice to be able to haul a couple guys, be able to chit chat, etc. I can stack my two 2-hole DeeZee dog boxes on top of each other in the bed and haul 4 dogs easily, 8 if they're small and wanna double 'em up. And still have plenty of room for vests, guns, lunch, etc. They will fit in the back of the truck but realistically I think most would recommend hauling 'em in a trailer so that might be a bit of a con vs. an ATV.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:37 pm

My father-in-law has one of those mini-trucks. If you jack the thing up and put off-road tires on it, it can be a nice little thing. For me, though, I can't fit in it very well. The cab is not meant for someone 6' 2" tall. When I drive, I can barely steer without hitting my knees.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

gdog

Post by gdog » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:15 pm

I had a 4 wheeler and needed to be able to carry a larger dog box(es), so upgraded to a RZR. It fits legal width for atv trails which is a big plus. I had to fab up a rear rack for the boxes. Wasn't hard and works great. Throw on a front and rear windshield once it gets cold. Would have a hard time going back to an ATV...