Selling Puppies

Casper

Selling Puppies

Post by Casper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Was wondering where most of you get the majority of your puppy buyers from?

I have my litter listed on a handful of internet sites, local news paper, and fliers posted locally. I also am spreading the word to as many people as I can.

Also how many of you end up selling to pet homes? I have had a couple calls for pet homes but not anyone serious. Guess I have mixed feelings letting a bird dog knowingly get stuck in a fenced yard.

*Edited* so that the questions will be answered specifically
Last edited by Casper on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Selling Puppies

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 pm

That is the first thing I tell someone who thinking about breeding...Think about What will you do with Puppies you can not sell?

Looks like you are covering your bases as to where to advertise your pups...Not sure what price you are asking but that also can have a variance as to who may give you a call

Good Luck...Handle the pups and train them as they grow up so when someone does come to look at them they are socialized and worth buying
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:52 am

I would add that just because a dog goes to a pet home does not mean that it will be stuck in a fenced yard. I know of many dogs that are owned by hunting/trial families that sit in a fenced kennel for a good portion of the time. These dogs get much less exercise than some dogs in pet homes that go running with their people every day. What doesn't get used, in pet homes, is the bird finding/retreiving aspect of the dog's nature, unless you count the many times that an untrained bird dog will point then bump wild birds while running.
All that being said, make sure that you get to know your pups so that you can guide your buyers to the right pup. As you spend much more time with them than any perspective buyer will, you will know which dogs are most likely to make good bird finders, field trialers and which will be best suited to pet lives.
Good luck and make sure to posts some pics when they get here.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 am

Casper,
Was wondering where most of you get the majority of your puppy buyers from?
Answer: I have a website and I post to a few sites on the net. My buyers find me through web searches. I get quite a few calls from people who found my web page on another gun dog breeder listing That site is the most extensive site I have found that focuses on a place for breeders to advertize.

Gordons are not a very popular breed so the law of supply and demand is more in my favor.
Also how many of you end up selling to pet homes?
Answer: I don't sell puppies to pet homes, 3Britts makes a good point though.
Tom

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:51 am

I am pet home owner of a GSP, EP and 2 hounds and am dedicated to these breeds even though I do not hunt or field trial my dogs.
Our dogs our walked 8-10 miles a day and we work on there feather or fur skills everyday. They are all fully trained to hunt. My husband and I
are lucky enough to be young and retired and spend 85% of our day with our dogs. A few years ago we decided we wanted to travel and see
this great country of ours - we bought a RV so our dogs can go with us. When we are on the road our activities revolve around the dogs either
by hiking or finding a place for them to run off lead. I tell you all this because there are quite a few Pet Only homes like mine and not to discount
us as homes for your dogs. I know I will not change all breeders minds about Pet Only homes but maybe to open there minds a tad.

I say be very selective if you are going to let one of your dogs go to a Pet Home just like you would if you were selecting a hunting home.
There are good and bad in both worlds.

On a side not a neighbor of mine has a GSP he only lets out to hunt a few times of the year - I have offered to walk the dog for him to get her out
but he did not want his dog ruined which were his words not mine.

Your puppies are beautiful and I wish I was ready to add to my pack because I would be giving you a call. Good Luck in finding homes for them :-)

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:58 am

Okay...where do new hunters/field trialers/hunt test participants/breed enthusiasts come from but potential pet homes?

BTW, I WAS a pet home. My first Brittany was purchased as a birthday present for my son (for his 8th b-day). Courage is a grandson of HOF Renegade's Kansas Kid and DC Cherokee Bandit...so he's pretty well bred. Had Tom & Joy Hartman of Indian Acres Brittanys refused to sell to a pet home, I would not have gotten involved in Brittany Rescue, I would not have met Blaze (DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory) or Tessa's (Ch. Hope's Dream Weaver) breeders, my trainer would be tens of thousands of dollars more poor, I wouldn't know how to ride a horse, my house would be WAY more clean, I'd be driving a little sports car instead of a 3/4 ton pickup, and my bank account might be a little bigger. :D
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 am

The internet sites...gundogbreeders.com...and the like are good for traffic. It helps to have your own site as well to have pics, updates etc. I haven't had much luck selling puppies, started, or broke dogs locally in my area due to poor bird numbers. I would prefer to because shipping is a pain in the butt and even if you charge a convenience fee it ends up costing you money.

I would base my placements on the individuals more than the hunter vs. non-hunter. 90 percent of "hunters" probably hunt less than 30 days a year (i know trialers, testers etc do more...just saying the everyday weekend warrior who buys most of the advertised dogs) so they are all pets of "non hunters" 11 out of the 12 months a year, so to me a good home is most important. Now if i was going to breed a serious trial, show or other competition litter i would try to place all or most of them with people who would compete with them to see how they faired even if i had to give them away. JMO

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks Tom for helping get things back on track.

Gundogbreeders.com does seem to be where people are finding my litter. Along with the link to my web site. Are there other sites like gundogbreeders.com that I dont know about?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 am

I don't think you should breed unless 8 out out of 10 pups are sold ahead of time. Just my opinion.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:14 am

Sharon wrote:I don't think you should breed unless 8 out out of 10 pups are sold ahead of time. Just my opinion.

I would say having at least 4 pups spoken for by serious people not just good buddys, Tire kickers, or well intentioned people who say they are interested in a dog many of them back out faster then a straight guy who walked into a gay bar once the pups are on the ground.

have patience...you might get in increase in interest when rebates start coming form tax time :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 am

Sharon wrote:I don't think you should breed unless 8 out out of 10 pups are sold ahead of time. Just my opinion.
What if I have two dogs that I really like? Can I breed a litter for me?

And you need to realize, people for the most part are impulsive. Trying to get somebody to wait on a litter until you have the litter pre-sold just doesn't work. People call here all the time looking for dogs. We very seldom have a litter, so I tell them to find a breeder that they like, produces the type of dog they are looking....and when they find that breeder, they need to realize that they won't have an 8 week old puppy waiting. They need to get on the list and wait.

Do they take that advice? I would hope, but I don't think they do. I think they keep calling around until they find somebody that has an un-sold litter.
Dan

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:38 pm

My experience is that serious hunters, trialers etc. will wait for a litter if it is in the planning schedule. Many times you will get deposits on litters that are a year out. I plan a breeding once a year and only accomplish the breeding if I have 8 or more people on the waiting list. I email all of them just before to make sure that they are still interested. But that's just me.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:47 pm

I agree with Dan, the buying practices of most people do not include waiting on a list for a puppy. I have 6 people on my waiting list and my litters have been fairly small lately (2 to 6 puppies) A couple have been there for 2 years. I could probably sell 5 times that many puppies if I had more litters available. Generally people don't want to wait...if they don't find what they want when they want it they'll open the newspaper and buy a GSP or a Lab pup because they are always available. And that's okay if they're happy.
Tom

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Wyndancer wrote:
What if I have two dogs that I really like? Can I breed a litter for me?

And you need to realize, people for the most part are impulsive. Trying to get somebody to wait on a litter until you have the litter pre-sold just doesn't work. People call here all the time looking for dogs. We very seldom have a litter, so I tell them to find a breeder that they like, produces the type of dog they are looking....and when they find that breeder, they need to realize that they won't have an 8 week old puppy waiting. They need to get on the list and wait.

Do they take that advice? I would hope, but I don't think they do. I think they keep calling around until they find somebody that has an un-sold litter.
:) It has worked for me since 1960. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm

I dont recall asking for opinions but thanks for offering yours.

Sharon that would be great if things worked out so perfectly. This way anyone that breeds wouldn't have to worry about the expense and time that goes into advertising. I am 30 and breeding my first litter. Maybe 10 years from now people will be knocking down my doors for a puppy but they aren't right now

Pre selling puppies is one thing but the only way to get that done is if people around your region and the nation have seen BOTH dogs and want a puppy from that breeding. What a perfect world that would be if so many people wanted a puppy from your breeding.

I dont have that luxury to presell puppies from a breeding I dont know will take how big a litter to expect. Besides to many people give their "word" and they never follow through. My regional FT group all follow their own lineage and will not be asking for a pup from either of my dogs. As much as I would like them to I just know that it just isn't going to happen. I dont have allot of friends that hunt and I am not well known amongst local hunting clicks of friends that knows this guy and that guy. This is why I asked a very specific question.

So this leaves me with advertising. I am not going to be dumping these puppies if I cant move em. I just want them all to go to good homes. I want to find and advertise in the places that people frequent so that I can move these pups into those great homes

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Most of the field trial grounds we run at have club houses with bulletin boards. I frequently see puppy ads in those.

The Brittany club I belong to has a designated breeder referral person. In the past, when I've received puppy calls, I've referred them to our breeder referral person, who then sends them on to other club members with pups on the way or on the ground.

I personally get 3-4 puppy calls/emails a month just from my website, even though it said I didn't have any breedings planned (up until a few months ago).

And of course there is our monthly breed magazine, the American Field magazine, and breed message boards. I purchased my youngest from a breeding announcement on one of our breed message boards. I really wasn't looking for another dog, but her pedigree was one that I couldn't pass up.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Most of mine are spoken of before the litter is born & those are mainly from friends, word of mouth, my website, etc

I don't have a problem selling a dog to a pet home as often those homes are better than competition homes who will often place a dog in a pet home anyway when it doesn't work out as intended for whatever competition. Although I will say my last 2 litters I had several people say they were interested in trying agility, obedience, showing, etc & despite pointing them in the right direction to classes, training, mentors in their area, etc none of them followed through. But that's okay because the dogs are in great pet homes where they are a part of the family and well taken care of.

Little disappointing as a breeder though. Especially since a couple of the more promising prospects were altered without my knowledge.
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:52 pm

It sounds as if you are having difficulty selling your litter.
So instead of answering the obvious questions, let me ask you for more info.

How many pups did you have?

How many males?

How many are sold?

How much are you asking for them?

How old are they?

List their pedigrees.

Post the actual ads for us to read and critique.

Every situation is different. No two breeders have the same experience selling a litter. Maybe you are advertising in the right places, but the advertising may be wrong and is not capturing the buyers' attention.

Remember, there are hundreds of ads for GSP's. What makes your litter different or special?

Personally, I think there is a glut of hobby breeders selling GSP's and that makes your job more difficult.

Post the answers, then we can help you better.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:58 pm

A/C Guy see MARCH GSP LITTER in dogs for sale on this forum.

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:47 am

Sharon wrote:
It has worked for me since 1960. :)

So you're like 70 then?

Seriously, I do have people on a list, some for up to 2 years. But those people are the exception....and the exception doesn't prove the rule.
Dan

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:07 am

I'm assuming you have a litter of GSP pups (based on your avatar picture)? Have you considered the Shorthair Journal (periodical of the GSPCA), it goes out every 2 months. Or the NAVHDA monthly magazine, Versatile Hunting Dog.

Both of these magazines have a great circulation to people who are either interested in Shorthairs, hunting over versatile dogs or both!

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

D2shorthairs

Post by D2shorthairs » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:25 am

I'm not sure if anyone answered this but www.gundogsonline.com is a good site which draws hunters and trialers. Something I have found is the price of the dogs will dictate how serious of puppy owners you get. I find that people who will pay $500 and up for a pup are serious about it whether they are hunters or pet owners. The only time I have gotten questionable people is when I put a price down low thinking I would move a pup quicker. I only made that mistake once. I am OK with helping someone on the price after they have established they will pay full price. I hope this helps.

DAVID

cody

Post by cody » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:40 am

interweb marketing works well, you gotta get there pictures out there, get your name out there. I should see pictures of your dogs so often on this website and others that I feel like I know them. Your dogs have done some things so you should have been posting in the brag section every time they placed or won a trial. Lot's of hunting pictures in the upland game section, make those dogs familier to me, then when I am ready to buy you are one of the first people I think of. I have seen it work on this site, common bred stuff getting sold because the seller just kept hammering. You have some good dogs there, let everybody know about them....it ain't bragging if it is the truth. Good Luck

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:05 am

My spouse is pretty adament that people who put a deposit down before puppies are even bred are "silly." I personally wouldn't hesitate to do it though and value buyer willing to do that for me. My last litter had several puppies that took longer to sell, but good home came around eventually.

This time I have a litter coming up, not bred yet, and I have advirtised on several sites, kept my webpage linked to most of those ads, and actually put some money into several ads this time. Had quite a bit of interest. I have 3 pretty interested folks right now, but alot have contacted me and moved on since it will be several months before the puppies will be born and then longer until they are ready. So I guess it's a bit of a catch 22. On the one hand, if I waited, perhaps several of the interested people would be more willing, on the other, if they ARE willing to wait it is at least a step in the right direction for them, showing me that they are ready for a puppy and excited.

Last time, when I had puppies still to sell at 12 weeks old, my spouse kept pushing me to drop the price. (You got to move those - they are costing us too much - mind you I make it sound more cold hearted than it was actually meant it to be! Not meant to go to just anybody, but that more GOOD people might be interested if they were less) I didn't put too much money into advirtising, just depended on free sites, word of mouth, and my website. I seemed to get a lot LESS interest if I seemed very flexible on price, and almost seemed to do better NOT dropping the price at all. Tried to explain this, but some are slow to see it. SO I just put the word out, and kept the price the same, BUT I kept training. Alot of "house stuff." There seemed to me to be two strong groups of interest. Those familiar with birddogs and wanting to see pointing, retrieving etc. started. (Which I did alot of) And those who were wanting hunting dogs, but family pets also/mostly. The later group was really interested in the fact that the puppies were being crate trained, and used to walking on lead, knew some early commands (here, sit, down, early whoa...) There are people out there who want to start with a puppy, but value that the work is started. I think there is a market there it's just a smaller one. BUT frankly a more solid home. All my later buyers (all 3) have been exceptionally good homes, and were thrilled with the "started" level of their 3-4 months old puppy. One guy continued my training excatly as I suggested at 4 months and had a solidly steady to wing, retrieving 6 month old that, would stop on a whoa from a dead run with no ecollar, and was wowing his friends. He told me that if he had bought a younger puppy he never would have been able to put the time in like I had, and that had made a huge difference.

This time I have advirtised more, with some more pricey ads, and the ones I used before as well. Gundogbreeders, gundogcentral, here, and a few other puppy sites that I was/am honestly nervous about as they are not hunting specific. Some have time limits like gundogsonline and get bumped down fast so I have not advirtised there yet. I have had probably 20 people contact me but only a few are serious potentials and of those only one is ready to put a deposit down now. It's alot of people/talk/work that I don't like. I'd rather be with the dogs! But no choice, because I am certainly not leaving it to my spouse.

So hopefully I have answered your question in there, but more that were to advirstise, I would focus on the puppies. Make them the little stars you know they are, and then use that to catch people's eye. A 12 week old puppy can make people wonder why it didn't sell, but if it's showing all it's stuff, pointing, play retrieving,and behaving well, and well cared for that will say alot more than that little "why" voice.

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:43 am

Y'all are getting way off base here.

I am not asking for you to comment on my litter. If you want to do that then go to my for sale page and comment there. If you give negative comments openly you will likely make me mad and I will react accordingly to those comments.

I have sold 3 puppies of my 9. I still have 5 weeks before they go home. I have plenty of time to sell them. That is why I am looking into expanding the places available to the consumer so that in the next 5 weeks I can get them all to their future homes.

David, thank you for that link I will look into it.

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 am

If it was me, I would really push your marketing when you have pictures of the pups at about 5 weeks old. Video's are great too, post some of your pups retrieving, or just runnin around. People love that stuff.

Looks like some nice dogs, they will sell.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:10 am

mountaindogs wrote: Last time, when I had puppies still to sell at 12 weeks old, my spouse kept pushing me to drop the price. (You got to move those - they are costing us too much - mind you I make it sound more cold hearted than it was actually meant it to be! Not meant to go to just anybody, but that more GOOD people might be interested if they were less) I didn't put too much money into advirtising, just depended on free sites, word of mouth, and my website. I seemed to get a lot LESS interest if I seemed very flexible on price, and almost seemed to do better NOT dropping the price at all. .
Not at ALL trying to be critical. You have a really nice litter and you've got good puppies!! The statement above was just meant to be a caution. That is from my experience don't be tempted to lower the price. Just keep training the puppies. You asked what we do to sell, and that is one of my big things. I show what the puppies can already do.
mountaindogs wrote:
This time I have advirtised more, with some more pricey ads, and the ones I used before as well. Gundogbreeders, gundogcentral, here, and a few other puppy sites that I was/am honestly nervous about as they are not hunting specific. Some have time limits like gundogsonline and get bumped down fast so I have not advirtised there yet. I have had probably 20 people contact me but only a few are serious potentials and of those only one is ready to put a deposit down now. It's alot of people/talk/work that I don't like. I'd rather be with the dogs! But no choice, because I am certainly not leaving it to my spouse.
And here just telling you what I did differently this time, and where I have advirtised so far. Have yet to see how it will work, but I did more upfront ads and more money invested into ads. And I was just noting that this is my least favorite part!
mountaindogs wrote: So hopefully I have answered your question in there, but more that were to advirstise, I would focus on the puppies. Make them the little stars you know they are, and then use that to catch people's eye. A 12 week old puppy can make people wonder why it didn't sell, but if it's showing all it's stuff, pointing, play retrieving,and behaving well, and well cared for that will say alot more than that little "why" voice.
Above just recapping. As I said, it's a good breeding and the puppies will show their stuff. Just focus on what they can do, cause you know they are the real deal. Just gotta get others to know it too!

Alot of people put everything into the parents. That is very important and means alot. But the puppy point pics, and showing maybe a video of a puppy hitting scent and stopping on point, or retrieving a dummy with gusto, that all speaks volumes also. I didn't mean to cause trouble or say anything negative.Sorry. Just mean to tell what I did, where I changed things and why, and what did work.

Good luck 8)

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:13 am

Bella whelped 9 healthy and active puppies today 6 girls and 3 boys.
Casper- I have used gundogsonline.com as well. They have a free section and a paid section.

Removed the comment as i can see he doesn't want the advice i gave...sorry :oops:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 am

Wyndancer wrote:
Sharon wrote:
It has worked for me since 1960. :)

So you're like 70 then?

Seriously, I do have people on a list, some for up to 2 years. But those people are the exception....and the exception doesn't prove the rule.
LOL Almost. Started working with my Dad who bred beagles when I was 14 in 1960.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Where do I get the majority of my buyers from?
1. Most come from referrals. People who have my pups or have hunted behind my dogs or have seen them in trials spread the word. Even with my first litter, I had those who sought me out because of what someone had told them.
2. Website. If you have a good, informative, site, one that show your breeding practices and the strength of your dogs and the images of the puppies, you will get those calls you are looking for.
3. Local paper and online sites. The only one that I pay for is my upgrade on www.gundogbreeders.com
4. Other online sites. You might want to try the AKC. I tend to stay away from their puppy classifieds as you get a lot of crazy buyer phone calls wanting free puppies for various reasons and scammers from overseas.

I will agree that you should always set a price for the market you are trying to reach and never lower that price. I have watched many lower and relower their price. It just makes them look like they don't believe in their breeding and takes them forever to sell. Where those who maintain a price and raise it to match the level of the training tend to sell their pups faster.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 pm

I would look at price also, for a large part its a buyers market out there. I have seen litters out of some of the top producing GSP's in the country go for around $500.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Casper wrote:Also how many of you end up selling to pet homes? I have had a couple calls for pet homes but not anyone serious. Guess I have mixed feelings letting a bird dog knowingly get stuck in a fenced yard.
My impression based upon your replies in the thread is that you are probably abrasive and turning off people when they talk to you.
I dont recall asking for opinions

I am not asking for you to comment on my litter. If you want to do that then go to my for sale page and comment there. If you give negative comments openly you will likely make me mad and I will react accordingly to those comments.
A successful breeder knows how to not be abrasive and is mature enough to accept constructive criticism.

You asked how people sell their litters, but you really don't want any help if it includes constructive criticism.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:44 am

Ok I have read all the posts, Now let me say somethings .
Right after Casper posted the possible up coming litter we wrote back and forth for a few days. That was middle Feb.
He had mentioned he want hunting homes and possiblely a home or 2 that was in to field trials.
Well I told him I had a Weim till I lost her in 04 of old age then I told him of my GSP Tucker and the health issues he had that ended his life. and what I was looking for in a Hunting partner & friend. HE answered all my questions, he was honest
I told him I was not into trialing or any of that. Just looking for a well put together dog that was bidable, and willing to learn, I was in to Bird hunting, Tracking, Camping and when I was done for the day or just need a friend. He had no real issues with what I asked or spoke with him about . He expressed he wanted the pups in good loving homes, and the Hunting homes were a plus. And we talked about price and it was fair.

If I was not still paying off the Vet Bill on Tucker, I would have already made arrangements, to get a pup from Casper,
couple of reasons, He is close enough I can drive the trip in a weekend, go and visit with Him and the dogs, play with the pups and make my choice from there. I have seen alot of nice litters on this board. But he has been the closest, I want to pick my own hunting partner- lasttime I let some one pic a pup for me, it did not work out. There has to be a bond there.
Taylor-Weim , Tucker-Gsp There was a deep bond with these 2 dogs, I trusted them and thay trusted me . They never
dissapointed me at home or in the field. I was very proud of my dog Heck at 9yrs old I taught Taylor to dectect drug cause My Boss said it could not be done with a dog like her, befor she died a year later she was a certified Drug Detection Dog.

If I remember Casper's org. post was what other places would be a good place to post this litter.

Ok I have jumped down off my soap box, Not trying to make anyone mad or pissed off. Just wanted to say my peace.
Long day 1 trip down 2 more to go this week for work and a K9 Rescue Transport on Sunday.

Goodnight all Have a Great Weekend !
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:03 am

A/C Guy wrote:
Casper wrote:Also how many of you end up selling to pet homes? I have had a couple calls for pet homes but not anyone serious. Guess I have mixed feelings letting a bird dog knowingly get stuck in a fenced yard.
My impression based upon your replies in the thread is that you are probably abrasive and turning off people when they talk to you.
I dont recall asking for opinions

A successful breeder knows how to not be abrasive and is mature enough to accept constructive criticism.

You asked how people sell their litters, but you really don't want any help if it includes constructive criticism.
A/C Guy I asked a very specific question and in no way did that question hint that an opinion was warranted. It actually made me a little upset someone telling me that I, or anyone for that matter, should not be breeding dogs without first doing what that person feels is the way to do things.

This is my first litter and I have allot to learn. In no way should you or anyone else be making assumptions on how I am with people. I do my best to let people sell themselves. I have every right to make a decision on where one of my puppies go because I am concerned of their well being. If that means me hanging on to a couple a while longer than I am prepared to do that.

If you, or anyone, would like to give me constructive criticism than do it in a private matter

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 am

This Casper dude is just a big ol Putz! But I like the heck out of him, hunted with him before, and would again anyday of the week! I have seen BOTH dogs hunting birds and seen the birds that they have produced!
Ya can't blame a guy that wants to have his dogs in Hunting/Trialing homes. He is not trying to produce a really nice yard dog, he is trying to produce a good rounded birddog that hunts birds with the best of them.....

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am

I have to go with A/C.
As i read the post , i thought everyone was JUST trying to help!
3 of my 70 puppies went to people from the breeder part of [/www.gundogforum.com]
2 from [http://www.gundogsonline.com/]
1 from [http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com]
non from here but they sped the word [http://www.uplandjournal.com/]
a few from the paper
the rest from word of mouth and hunting buddies!!!!
I try to sale my pups to hunters and pet people ; i hate the thought of my dogs living on a 6x10 cage all their life.
O,,,,,This is also, just my opinion !

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:03 am

I helped my parents list their upcoming brittany litter on the Dogs For Sale forum here, Gundogdirectory.com, and on another messageboard forum where posting litters for sale is permitted. So far they have at least two pups sold that I know of from the online postings. People have contacted me through this site to inquire about the litter and the sire and dam though I don't know if some of them are the ones that have the puppies reserved. They may also have a few pups reserved from word of mouth of those that have seen the dogs in action either hunting or trialing, but I can't say for sure.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 am

Yah, I gotta second that Casper's a good dude - was just asking for some other avenues to market his pups. I'm afraid him and Rich might end up takin' 'em down to the 5 Mile Tavern with 'em and trade 'em out for "services" so let's give him some good ideas! :wink: :lol: :lol:

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 am

Well, aren't we all just one happy family. :wink:

Casper, I don't think that any on here are trying to trash you or your dogs. I think that they are trying to give you the benefit of their mistakes and want to help you avoid those same mistakes. Ease up, we're only trying to help and, without a face to face meeting, are all trying to get to know you and your mannerism as Doug does. :D
Perhaps the rest of us can back off a little too.

D2shorthairs

Post by D2shorthairs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 am

I've sold quite a few pups over the last 10 years and for the most part anymore I have a waiting list or just post them on my web site and sell them before they are ready to go. I can tell you though that selling pups can be very random. I would not worry one bit if they weren't all sold at 6 or 7 weeks because you could have a flood of calls all at one time. The last time I thought I needed to advertise a litter was because I had two big litters within a week of one another. As soon as the ad came out people I already had sold dogs to called, people from the ad called and I had 6 more buyers than pups. I wouldn't get to anxious just yet IMO.

Another site that may not get huge traffic but has free clasifieds and usually has well bred bird dogs on it is www.fieldtrialnews.com . Seems like maybe it appeals to folks out west.

David

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:36 pm

I never read the entire thread until now... So I will stick to my first comments and tell ya Casper if you want your dogs in hunting and trialing homes... Stick with it! I know I have no true interest in placing dogs with people that don't want the dogs for what I feel they are intended to do. I AM sure I will get flammed over this but my intentions are to have a class birddog first and pet or companion dog second or even third! I like hunting and trialing type people, I also know that if they want hunting and trialing dogs they have to give them dogs the time and work to get there.....

You might look at another avenue also. You might give some of them away. But also only to people that are going to do something with them. I am sure you might know of a person or two that would take a well breed puppy outside of what lines they like to just see how it panned out.

I guess this goes along the last thread about NSTRA range dogs.... But you used a sire that is a FC, well some people just don't get it and think that because of that they are run off or carless dogs that only run and nothing else. A piss poor stereo type if you ask me. But I promiss you there are people that have read this that honestly believe just that.

And last... the day you sale the last pup, your phone will ring off the hook with people wanting pups!

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:07 pm

I'd like to apologize to any and all that might have taken my wording the wrong way. I don't mean to be an a$$. Its just the way I write (was never very good at it).

I started this topic with one objective. To find out if there are other places that puppy buyers might be looking that others have had good success with. I now have deposits on 4 of my puppies and I believe most of them have come from one site in particular. I had hoped that with such good success on that site there might be other sites that get as much if not more traffic.

I have been a member of GDF (and other forums) for a number of years now and I know how these threads go if no one keeps them on topic. This topic wasn't about me but a couple posters wanted it to be about me (for what ever reason) and was taking the topic out of context.

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey Casper,

Long time since I have posted on here. While I have not personally met Casper we have talked quite a bit over the years about hunting and dogs.

One thing a good hunting friend of mine has done is offer to help with their training. He started this about 6 years ago. It started off by him giving a couple friends dogs from one of his litters on the basis that they had to train with him. Others owners from the litter started joining them and pretty soon they had a great group of guys that trained together. They all do a summer camp together and travel around to trials. Now what this guy does is charge for Saturday sessions training dogs from his litters and other folks dogs. Word of mouth has gotten around and he has no problem selling pups because there are lots of proven dogs around that speak for themselves. Its just a thought, maybe a little different than others on here but its a great way to keep track of your litter to see how they develop as well as meet great guys and introduce them to trials and hunting.

I hope all is well with you Casper.

Take it easy,

Scott

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:51 pm

DGFavor wrote: I'm afraid him and Rich might end up takin' 'em down to the 5 Mile Tavern with 'em and trade 'em out for "services"
Thats good thinkn Doc,,,, how many ya got left Casper?

870Express

Post by 870Express » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:12 pm

Coming from an absolute newby to pointing dogs who purchased his first pointing dog about one year ago: I was looking at a couple litters in the tri-state area from a range of $500-$750 when I stumbled across a litter on a local forum that was within an hour or so of where I live and grew up. The breeder on the sire side of the litter answered about 40 in-depth Brittany/pointing dog questions over email without any hesitation. He made it very clear that he was loyal to the breed, not the litter, during all my questions. He made sure I was right for the litter. The breeder on the dam side of the litter offered one free week of training. He didn't have a huge operation but had trained an MH, SH, NASTRA titles, etc in the past. They had plenty of birds and land on hand and I knew it would be valuable. Still to this day I have learned more from the half dozen times he gave my dog personal attention and trained me instead of just the dog than I have learned from reading all the books on pointing dogs in the world.

I did not know a ton about the difference between a FT dog and an HT dog. I knew what importance I put on a CH compared to an MH but not what was better between and AFC or FC or even what NAVDA meant. But I found people who were really passoniate about their dogs and genuinely couldn't wait to teach me about these little pointing dogs. For this I knew my dog was carefully bred and there were people who would do everything in their power to ensure he would become a good dog. I'm going to one side of the breeders this week to give us pointers and use his live birds as we are getting ready for our first hunt test. The breeders on the other side of the litter are traveling 50+ miles just to watch "their" puppy run.

I guess point is that not everybody knows how to read a pedigree or feels comfortable buying a dog based upon it. Think what you looked for in your first litter. I know I found what I was looking for in mine (as a newbie).

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:04 am

Rich Heaton wrote:
DGFavor wrote: I'm afraid him and Rich might end up takin' 'em down to the 5 Mile Tavern with 'em and trade 'em out for "services"
Thats good thinkn Doc,,,, how many ya got left Casper?
I have one male and 3 females left. Getting real close to keeping one of the girls. I have one of my buyers coming this weekend to pick out his girl. Depending on his pick will determine if I keep one.
Scott wrote:Hey Casper,

Long time since I have posted on here. While I have not personally met Casper we have talked quite a bit over the years about hunting and dogs.

One thing a good hunting friend of mine has done is offer to help with their training. He started this about 6 years ago. It started off by him giving a couple friends dogs from one of his litters on the basis that they had to train with him. Others owners from the litter started joining them and pretty soon they had a great group of guys that trained together. They all do a summer camp together and travel around to trials. Now what this guy does is charge for Saturday sessions training dogs from his litters and other folks dogs. Word of mouth has gotten around and he has no problem selling pups because there are lots of proven dogs around that speak for themselves. Its just a thought, maybe a little different than others on here but its a great way to keep track of your litter to see how they develop as well as meet great guys and introduce them to trials and hunting.

I hope all is well with you Casper.

Take it easy,

Scott
Scott those are good ideas and I have been offering to my buyers to come train with me any time they want. Not sure how many will take me up on the offer since they all have had dogs in the past or currently have others and are just adding a young dog to the gang. Thinking that they have the mentality of "I can do it on my own cause I did it with Rover". I am only hoping that they are willing to take the pups training to a higher level.

One of these days I am going to take you up on that quail/javelina hunt :wink:

All is as well as it can be

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 am

Casper,

I am sure you will have no problem placing your pups. I hope it works out for you.

I tell ya, having a litter sounds like a ton of work to me. I am not sure I am up for it. The way my family is it would be tough for me to place any of them. I can only imagine my place with a bunch of pups running around. I would end up sleeping in the garage for sure then! :lol:

Another thing that my buddy has done is he will take potential buyers out during the hunting season to ensure that they know what is envolved with having a hunting dog. In fact thats how I got into it. I had a friend take me out with his GSP, I supplied some quail and he brought the dogs. I have been hooked ever since.

For some people they want a dog to fill their game bags but for me its about watching my dogs and enjoying time with my family. In fact I usually carry a blank pistol while hunting mearns and my 10 year old carries a shotgun. Exposing kids and others to hunting is always a good way to get them into dogs.

Anytime you want to come out hunting javelina or mearns give me a ring.

Scott