Sad story - bird dog bought at "store"

gar-dog

Sad story - bird dog bought at "store"

Post by gar-dog » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:35 am

I was heading up a street near my house yesterday and I saw a guy being pulled along by a little Brittany in his front yard. I stopped and talked to the guy and asked, which breeder did you get your dog from?

"I don't know, I got it from such-and-such store down on Route 22" (this is a busy and highly-congested retail area). The dog was a heavy roan white and orange small female - very tight and compact - and 9 months old. The guy said they may not be keeping it - it's just too much - that they are not home much during the day, and do not have a fenced backyard. They had bought it for their 13 year old daughter who seems to have slacked off on interest. The dog looked pretty high-strung and then settled down a bit as i petted it - ohhhh, what a sweet little face it had. I bet it had been cooped up all day in the house and this was it's first time out - and on a leash as well. I asked them to email me it's pedigree, which he said they had.

I got the impression that they don't know crap about the breed, or about how to handle a dog at all. I felt so sorry for the dog. I am going to meddle some more and if they are looking to get rid of it try to help place it.

Why do people do this?????

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Sad story - bird dog bought at "store"

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:49 am

All you can do is try to influence those you come in contact with.

Try to help them. If they can't hack it, foster the pup till you find a good home.

Greg J.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 am

That is why we no longer sell puppies for pets. People are of the mantality now days that dogs are disposable, first thing that comes up the dog is dumped..I understand their ARE some great pet homes out there, but who knows....It IS heartbreaking. I knew of a lady that had a GSP for 6 yrs and was getting rid of the dog because it ate the cookies she made to send to her son in Iraq. :cry: Very sad.
brenda

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:18 am

gar-dog wrote:
Why do people do this?????

Why do they do this? Because they are not educated about buying/training dogs. These are not villains but good people who didn't know any better. I was there once.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

I totally agree with Sharon on this one...but wouldn't you like to get ahold of the breeder who sold that puppy to the pet shop?

Gary, if you do wind up with the pup, let me know. I was very involved with American Brittany Rescue for a lot of years and can put you in touch with the right people to help find the pup a home.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 pm

By the way, the guy seemed like a perfectly nice fellow. I guess I am more annoyed at what certainly appears to be a pure bred bird dog for sale at a pet shop. Anyway, I think I will try to stop by sometime with my huntsmith wonder lead, and try to work with the dog a bit - just getting it to walk nicely and to settle (not that I am the dog whisperer or anything). I am anxious to see its breeding. I may also bring it over to my house and let it run in my yard a bit. Maybe with a little effort the dog can stay in its home. If not, maybe I can find a home for it - again, I am especially anxious to see its breeding.

Karen - how big is Tessa? Isn't she on the smaller side? For some reason this dog reminded me of when I have seen tessa at W&W - tight, compact, full of energy, sweet face - but heavy roan.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Tess is 32 lbs in show shape....28 lbs in field condition...medium bone, very cobby and compact, not slight at all, but probably 18 1/2 inches at the withers.

ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:40 pm

This is what keeps rescue busy.

Breeders who sell to pet stores are just out to make a quick buck and don't care who they sell to.

I also started out as "just a pet" buyer. If we don't cultivate some of these homes how do we get new people into the fancy?? Some of my best homes have also been "pet" homes.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Karen- great picture- nice looking Britt- picture looks familiar like on TV

NWCORNER

Post by NWCORNER » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 pm

I'm not a breeder not have I ever owned a bird dog that was just a pet but I agree with some of the people above. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with a bird dog being just a pet as long as they get the excercise they need. I'm sure there is a decent percentage of bird dogs that don't cut the mustard and they have to go somewhere but hopefully not pet stores. I see a few bird dogs here in the city and I can count on one hand the one's that hunt. I can also tell by talking to the owners if they are a good match and sadly they usually aren't. I spoke with two shorthair owners recently and both were having a tough time with how much energy the dogs had. These types of people by dogs because of their looks and that is the last reason some should by a particular dog.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 pm

snips wrote:That is why we no longer sell puppies for pets. People are of the mantality now days that dogs are disposable, first thing that comes up the dog is dumped..I understand their ARE some great pet homes out there, but who knows....It IS heartbreaking. I knew of a lady that had a GSP for 6 yrs and was getting rid of the dog because it ate the cookies she made to send to her son in Iraq. :cry: Very sad.
I am with you Brenda...call it what you want but I refused to sell any pups to non-hunting homes. I am now thought of as an elitist conservative "bleep" who hates non-hunters, etc. However, I could not live with myself if I sold a dog as a pet and the dog went to the HS or a rescue because it was "too much" dog for someone who didn't know what they are getting into.

IMO, most hunters will see to it to stick with the dog and if they are well bred, they will normally meet the needs of most hunting folk who will be happy with a dog that they can keep close enough to shoot birds over...flushed or pointed...not my style, but perfect for the average hunter. The average person won't give up on a dog like that.

On the other hand, some hunters are too picky and want a finished dog at 6 months...not likely to happen on grouse, so you can also run the risk of a dog ending up some place else...but usually a hunting home.

Tough question but I am sticking with my beliefs that they are better off with hunting homes.