Is your gun dog a leaner?

GSP 4 me

Is your gun dog a leaner?

Post by GSP 4 me » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm

My GSP has a tendency to lean on my legs when I'm standing up or sitting on the couch. I've read that this behavior might be more of a sign of dominance rather than a sign of affection. Does your dog do this also?

So what do you think?.... A show of dominance or just your dog exhibiting some affection?

I'd like to think my dog feels comforted by this behavior since it usually leads to a pat on the head or an invitation to become a lap dog. :roll: Hmmm, maybe it is a dominance thing since he gets my attention and rewarded too. :D

twofeathers

Re: Is your gun dog a leaner?

Post by twofeathers » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:51 pm

Mine does that also and will lay on the floor by me and lean his head against my feet to. Doesn't act like that outside though just in MY house.

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:03 am

My GSP does the same thing.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:17 am

Both of my GSPs lean also...

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:28 am

Both my lab, and my brit do it. But like others said, only in the house.

jonstclair1311

Post by jonstclair1311 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:21 am

Sounds more like a show of affection than dominance to me.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:32 am

If anything, I'd suspect it as a sign of submission. FWIW, I DON'T allow my dogs or client dogs to do it unless I physically pull their head against me to give 'em a scratch :wink:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 am

Dogs will sometimes lean against you or put a paw on your left foot when at stop during heeling to "cheat". They can look around to take things in but still know when you're going to start walking again. Some obedience judges will knock you for letting your dog get away with it.

Greg J.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:37 am

I don't know, maybe I am just so comfortable with the whole owner - dog thing that it is second nature and I don't notice, but I sure don't see this as a dominance issue. Not in my dogs anyway. You need to be able to interpret.

Let's say you are at a ballgame, and the guy next to you is a 280 pounder. The two of you are pretty tightly squeezed together, in fact, you are touching shoulder to should and arm to arm. Is this "dominance?" Well, no, neither of you has a choice.

Now lets say another guy, this time a 320 pounder, moves in on the other side of your pal, and the pressure on your shoulder and arm from your new buddy now increase. Is this an expression of "dominance?" Well, hardly, the guy has no choice.

But lets say instead of the 320 pounder moving in, you and your new found pal have a few beers and all of a sudden you find your arm getting pushed off you shared arm rest and your new found pal is leaning heavily on you, to the point that you are half in your neighbor's seat. Dominance? Well, probably.

My dogs will sometimes lean against my leg on a lead at heel. Typically, it is an expression of concern, let's say we are somewhere around other dogs and there is one making some very threatening moves. Spot wants to circle the wagons with me a little. Not dominance.

His sister will sometimes come up to me when I am sitting watching TV, and bow her head so she puts the top of her head directly against the side of my knee. Dominance? Hardly, what she wants is a little affection, she wants me to scratch the spot right behind her skull where it joins her neck. Just wants a little affection.

Other times, she will get up on the couch and literally put her face across my face. Dominance? No. It is communication. She wants to go outside to the bathroom, please let me out boss.

I am sure there are situations where leaning is an expression of dominance. But way too many people see themselves in the "parent as disciplinarian - child as submissive" kind of relationship.

Dogs don't have a verbal language, they need to communicate another way, sort of like Charades. You need to learn to interpret that way, and "dominance-submission" is only a small part of it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:39 am

Yes mine is a leaner, a pusher and a swatter when he wants something

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 am

Both of my GSP's are "leaners", one more than the other, but neither does it outside the house. My one is more of a "contact" than a lean. If he is sitting or laying down,a part of him, must touch one of us. he is not happy unless his head is on my foot, or his back is up against my thigh when I am on the couch. This is certainly not a "dominance thing, and seems more like "not wanting you to move without him" kind of thing. He will lay on the floor and stretch that leg out until he makes contact with your foot, and then the eyes roll and he is fast asleep! It's like his alarm system. LOL
Bill L.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:10 am

One of mine likes to lay his head on your knee and look deep into your eyes. Affection? Not. She wants you get up and get her a treat. I call it being pushy/dominance. She's not allowed into the living room. She likes to put one paw over the line and look at you. Just like a 3 year old child.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 am

GSP #1 - My 7 year old - She leans only when I'm sitting down in the house and she wants affection. If she needs to go outside she stands with her head placed across my leg just above the knee & applies a little pressure to get the necessary result. When I stand up she runs back & forth between me & the door.

GSP #2 - 21 mo. old - Only leans against a leg when I'm sitting down in the house. She's the most dominant of the pack. Shortly after I start to pet her or scratch her behind the head she'll slide down and turn belly up in a sign of submission & to indicate she really likes her belly rubbed.

GSP #3 - Almost 11 mo. old male. He isn't in the house now but outside he loves affection. He prefers standing straight in front of you to get your touch. He's not really a leaner.

GSP #4 - Little female almost 11 months old. She's passive - aggressive with her littermate. She's very independent, ignoring you most of the time while she intently scours land & air for any signs of birds from our back yard. Then she will suddenly run up, bury her head under your coat, inside some crevice or against your body and stay for minutes while getting petted up.

She leans for protection. She'll start something with her brother & then quickly run to you and lean or get between your legs. From this protected position she'll launch vicious sounding sneak attacks against her littermate. She'll take him on pretty consistently even though he's one & a half times her size.

So I've got attention leans and protection leans but no dominance leans that I can discern.

FWIW
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 am

Not exactly a leaner.

Two of my guys, one of the males and especially one of the females will jump up and "occupy" either my wife's lap or mine when we are sitting on a bench or the glider swing in the yard. The other dogs iwll do it, but to a lesser extent.

It is most assuredly not a dominance thing. They do not jump up until called over by name and allowed to. It is absolutely a declaration to the rest of the pack that it is "my turn" to be up here. When the puppy jumps up and tries to horn in, those two dogs will "actively" prevernt her from nuzzling and worming her way in. Of course in the process they literally plaster themselves against that person's entire upper torso, making taking a full breath somewhat of a challenge. It is quite surprising the pressure that a 60# dog can exert on your chest.

My older female is somewhat different. She will sit in the yard watch and wait...patiently, for each of the other dogs to do their thing with us. When all the other dogs are done and playing, she will come over, pop up and look for some lovin'. However, if any of the other dogs comes back around for seconds, they get "the look", and keep on cruisin' until I or my wife tell Star to get down, go play or whatever.

RayG

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 pm

I have a dog that leans on me before he runs. I have also seen him stand in his kennel and lean on the doghouse with his back legs crossed...Pretty funny, I think he just likes to lean on something :D
brenda

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:52 pm

I tend to think it's affection more than dominance.
Or maybe the dog's just lazy. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:29 pm

I've seen many do this to think it's a dominance thing, kinda like the foot stepping business some freak out about. Sometimes a leans just a lean.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:39 pm

I sure don't think it's a domance thing- I've got an 8 year old, 2 year old, and two 8 month old- they'll lean against me, sit on my feet, swam all over me, lay on my feet, lick my face- just about anything you can imagine if and when they want affection or to be paid attention to- have to holler "enough already" so they'll get away- usually when I bring them in the house- but low and behold- if I sit down on the porch steps it's much worse- if I have a gun- whoo whee I'd best be up and about

I think it's that bonding thing- they know how to get your attention