honeysuckle as cover?

jimbo&rooster

honeysuckle as cover?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:14 pm

So I have heard from some people that honeysuckle makes good cover for quail and I've heard that it doesn't. I had intentions of planting sourgum in strips to connect some honeysuckle patches as part of a habitat project I'm starting. Any info would be awsome. Seems to me like I've seen and heard birds in thes patches, just wasn't sure if I should be utilizing it or trying to get rid of it.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: honeysuckle as cover?

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Honeyshucle provides good cover but offers no feed value and is consider invasive in some areas. There are better shrubs to use.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Used to trial on some grounds that had a lot of honeysuckle. You could put birds in there, but you'd never get them out. They'd run and hide under it, and the darn stuff was just about impenetrable - couldn't wade through it.

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Honeysuckle the shub or honeysuckle the vine. Most land stewards would consider both alien species invasive. We spend countless hours trying to eradicate the stuff.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:23 pm

I understand that alot of people are getting rid of their honeysuckle and from a hunting stand point i agree, i've had my pup point in it alot with no real results. however, i am looking at this from a habitat/conservation point of view. from the looks of things there is bare ground beneath the vines and I have heard birds whistling from the edgerows. my intention is to give the birds a loafing area with a feed area which will provide a food source and cover for times when there is none due to the seasonal nature of ag land. I assumed that the honeysuckle would provide good cover from avian predators since hawks are makinga come back and are prevalent i intend to plant a mixture of various food crops as well as various buffer strips throughout the crops them self for erosion purposes. Im trying to have a rough plan before I contact the local DNR biologist.
thanks
JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.