Eating Socks

BillGraves

Eating Socks

Post by BillGraves » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:37 pm

My 5 yr GSP is a sock eater. So far, he has eaten 4 socks, 2 wash clothes and a bib and has either thrown all of them up or pooped them out. I was doing some work outside today and took my shoes and socks off and he left them alone for a good long time. Then, as I'm walking to the back yard, I see him with a sock in his mouth. I yell, "NO" and run over to him and pry his mouth open but he had already swallowed it. I couldn't even see it in his throat it went that quickly. My question is, should I be worried about this most recent one considering he has gotten rid of all the others? (one stayed in for 3 weeks) My next question is, how do I break this terribly annoying habit. I thought I had it beat, but it just came back to bite me in the butt today!

Bill

AZSetter

Re: Eating Socks

Post by AZSetter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Yes you should be worried! I just lost a 5 year old Setter to this same thing. I never saw her chew anything in 5 years, Then she took sick. After many tests they could find nothing wrong but she wouldn't eat or drink and was failing fast. During exporitory surgery they found her intestines full of cloth. She didn't make it. I wish I could tell you how to fix this but I'm afraid all I can do is let you know it may not always pass and you definatly need to stop it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 pm

You have to break the behavior by keeping the stuff away and substituting something like those items but safe, like heavy, hard rope toys. The really thick heavy ones. I think Nylabone makes a heavy rope toy but any rope toy will do but not the cheap ones. I would try rope toys as a substitute and get a bunch so he always has one around.

Fabric eating is like Russian Roulette. I get hives every time I hear people putting bath towels in a puppy crate, they rip in long deadly strips.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:28 pm

I do not have much experience with you situation. But I have had several friends that have rushed there dogs to the vet and had to open them up to remove the obstruction.

I would try to keep stuff out of his reach for a while, it might be a hassle for a while but well worth the time.

bran

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Mine have never swallowed anything whole, but I certainly would be waiting for the eaten socks reappearance in his stool, and get the dog to the vet if it starts to appear off in nature.

A friend of mine recently lost a 5 year old DK, after she swallowed a piece of clothing that had been thrown in a rag bin. The dog had never done anything like that before, and the only thing they can figure is that she swallowed it, as their new pup approached. Kind of a hoarding type situation. They did not see this event happen, otherwise they probably would've taken her straight away to the vet. When she started showing signs of lethargy and such, they took her to the vet. The e-vet thought pyometria, but then discovered the blockage. The dog had already lost some of it's intestines due to the blockage, and lack of blood circulation that accompanies that, and my friend was quoted a $3500 e-vet estimate that he couldn't afford to do surgery and provide aftercare. So he had to make a tough decision. :(

As far as breaking a dog of it, I don't have a clue other than trying to prevent the situation to begin with.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Lots of Mineral Oil....
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:13 pm

snips wrote:Lots of Mineral Oil....

Right on and then watch to see what it passes and try to watch and see if there is any sign of distress.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 am

Does mineral oil just lube the system to help it pass? And how much should I give him?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:57 am

I just open the mouth a pour a little down. Maybe a little more few hours later. I would not have dog in house tho for awhile 8)
brenda

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 am

He's outside all day everyday so that's not really a problem.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:01 pm

Mine will gobble socks in 2 seconds flat. So....I keep them in a drawer or behind a closed door. When he has swallowed them in the past, hydrogen peroxide down the throat. Never fails. Give about 1/4c. and they vomit within minutes. I would not risk letting it sit in their gut considering the potential outcome and worry while waiting for it to come out.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:25 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Mine will gobble socks in 2 seconds flat. So....I keep them in a drawer or behind a closed door. When he has swallowed them in the past, hydrogen peroxide down the throat. Never fails. Give about 1/4c. and they vomit within minutes. I would not risk letting it sit in their gut considering the potential outcome and worry while waiting for it to come out.

just socks? are you talking an adult sized sock?

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 pm

mcbosco-

Just socks! The breeder told me that Max's mom used to steal her socks and drop them into the ex-pen with the pups. Shoes too. He steals shoes and other objects of clothing but only eats the socks. Amazing how fast the lil bugger can swallow them.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm

put some horseradish or chinese mustard inside and see if he does it again LOL

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:31 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Mine will gobble socks in 2 seconds flat. So....I keep them in a drawer or behind a closed door. When he has swallowed them in the past, hydrogen peroxide down the throat. Never fails. Give about 1/4c. and they vomit within minutes. I would not risk letting it sit in their gut considering the potential outcome and worry while waiting for it to come out.
Boy are you ever right! I just did the 1/4 cup of H2O2 and not only did I get the sock I saw him swallow out, there was another on in there. I have been trying to be SO super careful but I guess I have to be even more careful! Thanks for the advice.

Bill

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:03 am

Bill- You are welcome. It is the quickest way to make sure you get the sock back and not have to worry about an obstruction and not to mention, cheap!

Mcbosco- Knowing my dogs- they would eat them faster with hot sauce! If I eat blazing hot Thai food, both are there drooling. Weird critters.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:41 am

I know some dogs like hot pepper sauce!!! Will your dogs eat an athletic sock or a thin dress sock?

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:48 am

He eats the thinner socks in one gulp. The thicker ones he chews in pieces and swallows. Luckily this has not happened in months! I am VERY careful now!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 am

My 2 yo GSP likes any cloth that she can grab near her kennel. Shirts, blankets, jackets, but no socks yet.I can't put any kind of a dog piillow or rug in with her because she sheds it. I think she does it mostly out of boredom. Haven't had any prolems yet, but that might be due that she can't get anything whole through the bars of her kennel.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:15 pm

I would be more concerned about the piir dogs nose! :lol:

Seriously though, I would talk to a vet about it and what to do when he does eat a sock. I would be hesitant to offer advise and have something go wrong. It worries me to see that you want to make him vomit a sock! I would worry about it becoming a choking hazard! Kinda trading one distater in the making for another.That is why vets get the big bucks!
JMO
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Peroxide is standard to give to dogs to make them vomit. I worry much more about the sock obstructing the gut vs the dog choking on the sock on the way back up!

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:22 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Peroxide is standard to give to dogs to make them vomit. I worry much more about the sock obstructing the gut vs the dog choking on the sock on the way back up!

Yes, I know the whole peroxide deal. I understand what is being said. Again, IMO, I would first contact the vet, before I would make him vomit a sock! :wink: Something about making a dog vomit a solid object just doesnt sound safe..
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Advice given by a friend who is a vet. Problem is....the longer you wait, the bigger the potential problem. So you call the vet and they will want to see them. First radiographs, Then ultrasound. Then they talk exploratory surgery.

But to each his own. We all make the best decisions we can for our babies ;-)

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Munster wrote:
jlp8cornell wrote:Peroxide is standard to give to dogs to make them vomit. I worry much more about the sock obstructing the gut vs the dog choking on the sock on the way back up!

Yes, I know the whole peroxide deal. I understand what is being said. Again, IMO, I would first contact the vet, before I would make him vomit a sock! :wink: Something about making a dog vomit a solid object just doesnt sound safe..
If it went down dry, no reason it wouldn't come back up wet

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:01 pm

And not just clothing. Was at my vet Friday and they were opening up a dog to get the rawhide chew toy he'd swallowed ... happens all the time.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 am

Let me give this to you straight, so you know the risk. If the sock passes, great. However, there is a major risk that it will not pass and that the dog will die painfully of a blocked bowel, or it will cost you about $2,000 for the surgery and the dog makes it, or it will cost you 2 grand for surgery and then the dog doesn't make it. My first AFC, a GWP, swallowed one at about two years of age, a woman's nylon, they were able to resect the bowel and he survived to live a long life. My NC was bred to a female a few years ago, the female's owner kept a nice male, and at about 10 weeks that male swallowed a sock, they did surgery, and the pup did not survive.

Whether the dog survives or not depends on how quickly the vet gets the dog after the impact occurs. There will be a good deal of bloating and the bowel starts to necrotize, it is just a question of how far it gets before the bowel is resected.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm

hey Scott- my pups and adults love the rawhide chews I get from Walmart- been giving them to mine for the last 8 months

course mine don't try to swallow them whole

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Year's ago one of my Shorthairs eat a pantyhose.When he started to pass it,I had to step on it and my wife grabbed the dog by the collar and pulled him away.Ill bet if he lifted his tail you would see daylight coming from the other end...vern

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:42 am

I would not give a dog H2o2 - read the MSDS on that stuff, it will cause a lot of damage to the dogs insides.

I use peroxide at work to test if product is raw or cooked and it will eat the flesh until in is gone - it foams the raw meat until it is disolved....I wonder what it does to the stomach when a 1/4 cup is poured in???

Bad Idea guys
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Two Bears wrote:I would not give a dog H2o2 - read the MSDS on that stuff, it will cause a lot of damage to the dogs insides.

I use peroxide at work to test if product is raw or cooked and it will eat the flesh until in is gone - it foams the raw meat until it is disolved....I wonder what it does to the stomach when a 1/4 cup is poured in???

Bad Idea guys

There might be other ways, like a tablespoon of mustard or syrup of ipecac, but 3% peroxide is pretty standard for inducing vomiting. To my knowledge, it stimulates the reflex gag quickly and actually breaks down into oxygen quickly in the stomach with no side effects.

If the the stomach lining isn't affected by certain protein eating enzymes, I doubt 3% peroxide will do any harm.

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:58 pm

We use the off the shelf 3% peroxide to do the test for raw meat. It eats the raw product til its gone.

Read the MSDS It is NOT a good idea to swallow this stuff, yes you will vomit but damage is going on.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 am

We use the off the shelf 3% peroxide to do the test for raw meat. It eats the raw product til its gone.

Read the MSDS It is NOT a good idea to swallow this stuff, yes you will vomit but damage is going on.
Again, this is a standard procedure. Peroxide will NOT dissolve a dog's stomach. If it did, veterinarians would never recommend giving it.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:19 pm

I can't imagine something as widely used for cleaning cuts would make a big impact on the inside of the stomach that secretes Hydrochloric acid to digest food.

johnson48

Post by johnson48 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank GOD (and you guys) for this forum!
I had the shorthairs in the garage to trim nails. It only took my mischievous male a matter of a few seconds to find a set of large leather gloves and had one in his mouth trying to gulp it down. Long story short- he just had exploratory surgery to remove a foreign object just 1 month and $2200 ago.
Somehow while I wasnt looking for a matter of 1 minute I noticed the other glove was GONE. Nowhere to be found. I had no reason but to assume he ate it. Much to large to even think about letting him pass it. And another outrageous surgery was out of the question.
I asked my wife to run to the store and get some ipecac syrup to induce vomiting. Nobody in town carries it anymore, so I searched it on this forum and came up with this thread.I was a little nervous about it after reading the words of caution about peroxide eating through and the choking hazard! But we got out some long forceps, pliars and stuff to attempt an airway obstruction should it happen and shot the peroxide down his throat.
It worked exactly as described above. My assumption was correct as the glove was easily produced.
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, wisdom, and precautions. I surely now know this monster will eat anything in sight and will take precautions in future.

wad69

Post by wad69 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 pm

My five month old PP has eaten six socks; five have made a u-turn and one made the complete journey. Driving us nuts! We suspect that there may be one in her right now. Don't know for sure and it's been a week when we think she may have ate one. All the prior socks have exited w/in a couple three days. "Fortunately" all the socks have been thin, footie type socks. Two little kids in the house sure makes it doubly tuff to stay on top of the sock inventory.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:41 am

Knock wood I've never had a dog that ate things like that. It would drive me crazy. I board dogs and certain breeds are notorious for this, Dobies and Weims are two that immediately come to mind. It's always interesting picking up their kennels the first couple of days they are here. Find some very interesting things in their poop!

Do you think this eating things whole issue can be genetic? I wonder if you checked with the owners of their sires or dams, you might just find that they too, were swallowers! I don't think I would want to buy a puppy from lines that are known to do this with any regularity.

And then, maybe instead of making sure everything around your house is picked up... go get all your socks and gloves and throw them on the living room floor. Dare your dog to even look at one, and when they do- Whammo!!!!! The wrath of dad comes down upon their head. I don't know if a true swallower can be cured, but I think I would give it a shot.

Then again, my guys are shoe stealers....I am always looking for the 2nd slipper, sneaker, or boot. They just like to hide them!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:14 am

Make sure he has lots of safe toys around and whenever he grabs something he is not supposed to have scold and direct him to a toy. My dogs love to destroy all their toys but have not destroyed any of our stuff, they somehow learn the difference.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Bernee, I have heard it is genetic.
brenda

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:42 pm

I once got a very fine adult Gordon who ate two leather belts on two separate occasions--right out of my pants that were lying around. Fortunate, perhaps, that I was not wearing them at the time. (Just to provide information, my brother, who is a vet, said if she tore the belt in small pieces, she'd probably be fine. If she just inhaled it as a long hunk of leather, I might have a problem.)

In any case, I related her trangressions to the previous owner, but assured her that as a highly-experienced obedience guy, I knew how to correct the problem. She seemed a little appprehensive when she asked what I would do..until I replied "I'm going to learn to put the belts away!" :wink:

wad69

Post by wad69 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Update my previous post: Gave her about 4 teaspoons of H2O2 after going through gag reflex two days in a row but nothing came all the way up. Although it wasn't the sock we anticipated from over a week ago, she gave up a sock from my wife, a hair baret, a dryer sheet, a latex glove and apparently she likes the bird see from my coop. Even with two little kids running around I always thought we kept a fairly tighty home. Boy are we tighty now!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 pm

You are either going to have to pay for the $2,500 surgery to save that dog, or pay for the $2,500 surgery and then lose the dog. That part will be up to a greater power than the surgeon. You will still have to put up the $2,500 to get your 50/50 chance on the dog.