Spring time haircut

southernblues

Spring time haircut

Post by southernblues » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:40 pm

With temps now in low 80's in KS my 1 yr old Britt is pantin' like crazy. Pretty good amount of hair on back end -- do any of you gundog owners clip your Britts? I'd like to do myself but don't want to make him look like he got ran over by lawn mower...any tips (including your fav shears) would be helpful...pics are OK too!

vabrittfan

Re: Spring time haircut

Post by vabrittfan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm

I don't shave mine but my retired dogs (that are altered) I use a #5 blade on my clippers to take down some of the hair on their belly & beck. I also like to keep the ears & feet trimmed neatly. I'm too lazy to do the grooming with scissors as I spend enough time doing that for shows as it is.

If you shave it it will be that much worse when it comes in again.
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm

I have good clippers and clip horses regularly. Last summer I clipped my old German Shepherd, my first time to do a dog. He behaved fairly well, but my job of making it look nice and neat was pitiful. Looked like I'd let my 3 year old son have at him. Next time, I'll just spend the $30-40 and let a pro do a good job that doesn't embarrass me and my dog. FWIW

Also remember that after being clipped, you dog WILL be susceptible to sunburn.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:05 pm

I saw a Boykin a couple weeks ago at a trial that had been trimmed up bout as short as my GSP and seemed to be handling the heat fine. I agree that to save you and your dog some funny looks you may wana have it done by some one with a little experience.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:43 pm

a gal on onother forum sent me her extra clipper- I'm afraid to start removing the hair from my Britt's- but I'm thinking

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Shadow wrote:a gal on onother forum sent me her extra clipper- I'm afraid to start removing the hair from my Britt's- but I'm thinking

One of my best friends went ahead and shaved his ES three years in a row a few years back and ruined the dogs coat. The dog looks like Rosana Rosana Dana now. Its a no brainer for a coat type that grows continously like a terrier or poodle but double coated, flat coated or wirehaired dogs is a whole other matter. I hand strip my dog every six months, its no party but it costs a ton for a dog this size.

Check with pro...

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:56 pm

I take my brittany to the vet to get it done, as a matter of fact he'll be getting shaved Monday. It's worth the $30 to have the pro do it.