Transportation Question

nitrex

Transportation Question

Post by nitrex » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:06 pm

I am traveling to California from Kansas tomorrow with my dog on American Airlines. I would like to take my e-collar with me. Has anyone here ever traveled with their e-collar in their carry-on luggage. I am trying to keep from checking luggage. I called TSA and they have no policy, but stated that the security at the airport will make a determination at the point of entry into the secured zone. I hate to spend the $30 each way to take it with me as checked baggage!!!

Thanks,

Nitrex

CherrystoneWeims

Re: Transportation Question

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:42 pm

I think I would check it. I would hate to have to leave it behind if some dumb TSA guy decides it could be used as a weapon :roll: Think of the $$$ you would be out if they decide you can't take it on. It will be cheaper in the long run to pay the checked baggage fee.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:57 pm

I hate to say, I agree with Pam. It's likely to be viewed as a potential weapon by security. They wouldn't let me take on pieces of my grooming kit when I flew out of Indy last. The options were to mail it back to myself at a price of more than the entire kit was worth, throw it away, or pay to check another bag. And we're talking about things like fingernail clippers.

I'd find a way to slip it into my suitcase, to avoid a second fee.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Ship it to yourself; when you do, have a return label prepared and ask the hotel to ship it home to you (pre-paid).
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 pm

try calling the tsa office at your local airport and see or you could check when you get to the airport? They have an office at every airport at the very least someone will be standing behind the counter screening the bags there, you might be able to ask them.

brandon

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:10 am

how hard was it to fly with american airlines and the dog? How much did they chrage for him?

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Lexus423 wrote:how hard was it to fly with american airlines and the dog? How much did they chrage for him?

I've flown with American Airlines and shipped pups through them many times. So far, I've never had any problems. On this last flight, I watched them load her in the plane and then watched as they transferred her on the connecting flight. I know that is not possible most of the time, but they did a great job.

As for cost, they charged $150 for the dog to fly one way. I ended up checking luggage so the ecollar went in cargo.

Nitrex