Should I teach sit?

reba

Should I teach sit?

Post by reba » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:41 am

Is there any harm in teaching a GSP to sit on command?

Thank you

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Should I teach sit?

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:26 am

Search the archives in General and Training. There is LOTS and LOTS of information.

The summary: It depends on what you want to do with the dog, when you teach it and how you do the teaching.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:03 pm

if you are going to teach it to hunt, i would either not teach it sit or wait until you get it whoa trained first. i get dogs in for training that are taught to sit before the whoa training and it sometimes makes the whoa training a bit harder and longer because the dog wants to sit down every time i work him on whoa'ing.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:31 am

Sprig wrote:if you are going to teach it to hunt, i would either not teach it sit or wait until you get it whoa trained first. i get dogs in for training that are taught to sit before the whoa training and it sometimes makes the whoa training a bit harder and longer because the dog wants to sit down every time i work him on whoa'ing.
This has been my experience too. Teaching woah before sit nets better results. I don't think it's a matter of should you teach sit, because that's a matter of preference. But the bigger issue is when should you teach sit, if you decide you need to.

Like Greg said, there's at least 2 or 3 old, long threads on this topic. I think they were posted somewhere around 5 years ago, so look deep into the search results.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:09 pm

Lots of answers mostly opinions seem to confirm "do what you think is right per dog". As well as what your intentions are you would really have to provide more info.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:43 pm

It depends on what you want and need out of the dog? The down side is that when you go to put pressure on the dog , like stauching him up at a latter date , he may sit as a reaction to the pressure. If he now needs the discipline because he is in the house maybe you have no choice. I dont generally teach them anything but come untill they get to 10/12 months

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Sit is fine after you have a 100% whoa broke dog.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Sit can also be a hard thing to overcome in a dog being shown in conformation.