Man. vs. Remote launchers

hunterw/newhobby

Man. vs. Remote launchers

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 am

based on the fact that remote launchers are ungodly expensive, are they really that much better than manuel ones. I'm on a buget and poor so any money saved would be great w/o losing the training opportunity. thanks for the 2 cents.
Ross

mudhunter

Re: Man. vs. Remote launchers

Post by mudhunter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:20 pm

You certainly don't need a remote trainer, you just need to use training methods designed with out them. Typically that involves a checkcord and a helper. I have one that I rarely use, just for special circumstances. Their are a lot of ways to get it done!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Ross-
if you are going to be strictly training by yourself they are an INVALUABLE tool. I understand where you are at and was also there once. If you bite the bullet you wont regret it. Just my .02
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:01 am

topher40 - What brand/model would you recommend?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 am

Dogtra all the way.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

seadog

Post by seadog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:24 am

Dogtra X 2 ... Was there not a post a NUMBER of years ago on how to make an manual into a remote .

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:33 pm

There was and they pale in comparison to the Dogtra. Used them both and wasted TONS of money trying other products and gimics. Do it once and do it right.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

seadog

Post by seadog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:23 pm

topher , I hear ya . When one considers the time you spent on training , gas costs to get to your training area , cost of the best flying birds you can get , etc . The cost of good traps is pennies .

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Yeah its kinda like the guys that come out here to look at pups and complain about the price of a pup and how its to much, when you think about it that is the smallest investment you will ever make in the lifespan of the dog! :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:05 pm

I purchased 4 Dogtra launchers a few years ago. What I find is that I use 1 launcher about 15% of the time, 2 launchers about 80% of the time, and 3 or 4 launchers 5% of the time. If you can afford it, having two launchers really opens the doors on what you can do. Anything more than 2 is just for convenience.

Not sure about everyone else, but those are my findings.

seadog

Post by seadog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 pm

I use 3 90 % of the time and I am thinking of getting 3 more receivers to have the option of putting out all of my traps ( 3 QL , 3 PL ) or any combination up to 6 . I go through a few birds because if Fido is not locked up by around 35 yds it is launch time , so for me multi traps work .

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:00 am

Just got done watching some videos on youtube and the launchers sure look handy. I'm a newbie to training. We adopted a 6 month old GSP/Springer mix 2 months ago. I had her out last weekend for the first time on live birds (pigeons) and she did pretty good. She found and pointed all eight birds that were planted. My concern is that she would point but would then eventually creep all the way into the birds, she didn't grab any but I would like for her to hold point a couple yards away. So would a launcher help with this? When/before she starts to creep in launch the bird? I suppose I should also be working on the "Whoa" command as well. What do you think?

I found (3) Dogtra BL 905's on ebay, current bid $316, no chargers or remotes though.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 am

We have DTs, Dogtras and Lion Country launchers. The quality of the DTs and Dogtras are better than the LCs, but to be honest I like the LCs best. They are the easiest to launch multiple traps w/one hand. One hand on the checkcord and one hand on the transmitter. I can launch each additional trap simply by moving my thumb. The other launchers require me to turn a knob on the transmitter to select the trap. From a purely functional aspect, it's a pain in the neck so I almost always grab the LCs. Also, the LCs have replacement parts, webbing, etc. which allows me to extend the life of the trap.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:43 am

Are they set up on old Innotek transmittor? I liked the design of that best even with a ecollar, no turning dials...
brenda

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:00 am

Yawallac wrote:We have DTs, Dogtras and Lion Country launchers. The quality of the DTs and Dogtras are better than the LCs, but to be honest I like the LCs best. They are the easiest to launch multiple traps w/one hand. One hand on the checkcord and one hand on the transmitter. I can launch each additional trap simply by moving my thumb. The other launchers require me to turn a knob on the transmitter to select the trap. From a purely functional aspect, it's a pain in the neck so I almost always grab the LCs. Also, the LCs have replacement parts, webbing, etc. which allows me to extend the life of the trap.
Ross,

Good accessment.....One of the reasons I went with the Tri-Tronics Pro Control G3 for my Dogtra Launchers. Still not as simple to operate as the LCS but the sTri-Tronics selector knob can be changed with the thumb. I had to fabricate an adapter plate to mount to the launcher but so far I'm pleased with the setup. One of the features I liked about the Tri-Tronics controls was the ability to operate another launcher from the same receiver and the ease of adding another receiver to my transmitter without having to everything back to the mfg. Dogtra has now copied most of the Tri-Tronics features except for the knob on the transmitter. The Dogtras and DT's transmitters aren't user friendly in my opinion.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 am

I bought a pair of Dogtra launchers about ten or twelve years ago. I train alone and yes...they are invaluable if you do train alone.

Aside from swapping out batteries(Radio Shack) a few years ago I have had zero issue with them.

The first thing I did was to screw a piece of 1/2 plywood on the bottom of each launcher. The plywood was about 1 1/2 " bigger all around than the launcher with the elcetronics box attached. This way I can hang up the launchers on the wall, but most importantly, I can put the launcher down on wet grass and have no worries about water seeping into the electronics and causing the unit to fail(I had that happen repeatedly with Innoteks that I owned previously) .

RayG

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:25 am

Brenda, the LC controls are backwards compatible with our old Innotec launchers. In fact I replaced the webbing and still have a couple in service.