Product recommendation- Bee/wasp stings

jlp8cornell

Product recommendation- Bee/wasp stings

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Last year my old girl got into a ground wasp nest when we were on a hike. All 3 dogs had multiple stings. We had Benadryl dissolving strips in the car. They absorbed instantly and were easier then pilling a dog. I now have a box in each vehicle. Same product as the pills, just easier to give and quicker results.

Shadow

Re: Product recommendation- Bee/wasp stings

Post by Shadow » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:33 pm

oh man- lets not talk about bees- I'm deathly allergic to them buggers

BdBHunts

Post by BdBHunts » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Funny you should metion this topic. One of my pups had an incident yesterday and I posted this on another board.

My wife called me at work to say that one of the dog's lips was swelling. She had put the pup outside and when she went to get the shovel to clean up after him his lips had started to swell. He had only been outside about a minute or two when she noticed the change.

In less than an hour he looked like this.

His energy level never dropped much, still bouncing all over the place, but he wouldn't let her touch his mouth. He never would let me look in easily at the best of times. My wife gave him some Benadryl and in about an hour he looked much better.

About 3 hours later.

I am guessing some kind of bite but it has been cool here, under 50 for the last couple weeks, and only above 65 for a day or two a month ago. The chances of a bee or hornet bite would seem slim but I am not positive about that.
Anybody have this happen to a dog of theirs?

What do you think may have bitten him?

I am going to have to carry Benadryl with me, those strips sound like a nice thing to carry, easier than liquid,
but am not sure if he will be more suseptible in the future to a reaction.

Would I need to consider an Epi-Pen?

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:55 pm

BdB Hunts---

Your dog could have had an allergic reaction or bite/sting from anything. I would carry the Benadryl- works nicely. I think the dose is 1mg/lb but you would have to double check. The strips are so easy and dissolve quickly. I ahve them in the car and house.

Glad you pup is OK!!

PS- You probably do not need an Epi-Pen since the Benadryl worked. BUt..as always, consult your vet.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:04 pm

I assume you live in Norris Arm North, NL - Canada so lots of us here probably aren't as familiar with the critters you have where you live. Did you find the site of a bite? It is a typical allergic reaction but unless you found the site of a bug bite it'd be hard to say if it even happened while the pup was outdoors. Gnat, bee and spider bites can all cause an allergic reaction like that but it could also have been something it ate. I'd probably lean more toward gnats & no-see-ums.

Although I know what an Epi-pen is I haven't heard of their use on dogs with the correct weight of the dog calculated to get the right dosage delivery. I think the treatment is usually benedryl & steroids but check it out with a nearby vet.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it