Mucus in Eyes

Fish 4-5

Mucus in Eyes

Post by Fish 4-5 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 am

Light greenish mucus coming out of both eyes one side a little more than the other. Not sure if its a problem or will be leading toward one. He seems to act fine and not bothered by it. Should they be rinsed with saline or some other treatment ? Thanks :?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Mucus in Eyes

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 05, 2010 11:46 am

Light greenish mucus is usually an indication of an infection. Does the dog have allergies? Has the dog recently run through a dry field with tall vegetation or through a cattail slough ... someplace where plant parts could've gotten in both eyes?

The natural treatment for humans used to be to use a warm wash cloth compress over the eyes accompanied by rinsing the eyes. Saline is for your nose or throat, it would sting in the eyes. If you're going to flush use eyedrops approved for canines. You'll find them at your local pet store.

If it gets worse or you have questions call your local vet.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Whats known as a sterile preserved Saline Solution is a fine rinse for human and canine eyes. It can be purchased at the pharmacy or box stores. It's good for the cleansing of eyes after a run or whenever eye gunk appears.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 05, 2010 12:35 pm

gunner,

Thanks for the correction. My hurried post was inadequate. I just didn't want the guy using any old saline solution like the ones many of us use for rinsing sore throats. Thus the term "approved for canines" was provided. We always carry an eye rinsing solution when the dogs are afield to irrigate irritated eyes or to rinse the eye after removing a foreign object.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 05, 2010 1:07 pm

We use Bausch and Lombs eye Wash to flush out the eyes

you can also get a terramycin ophthalmic ointment at the local feed store if there is any cuts or infection

but general the mucus gets mostly cleared up with one eye wash and if in a dusty dry area the first wash will clear it mostly up and the second one will clear it the rest of the way ... I will generally wash my dogs eyes out if we just got through running in a dry dusty grassy area to prevent to much goobers from building up

if you do not notice a big difference after the first eye wash this indicates there is more irritating the eye then just a bunch of dust...until you have an idea of what to look for I would seek a vets advice if there is NO improvement with in 12 hours of the first eye wash...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm

gunner wrote:Whats known as a sterile preserved Saline Solution is a fine rinse for human and canine eyes. It can be purchased at the pharmacy or box stores. It's good for the cleansing of eyes after a run or whenever eye gunk appears.
this is what I use for my lab. one of the places we hunt is usually standing milo and it causes her eyes to swell shut and in the spring they will ooze after a run in tall weeds usually takes about two days of twice a day to clear it up.
jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 pm

You can make your own saline solution with distilled or sterilized water & salt. If you don't have an accurate scale you can guesstimate close enough. You'll find several recipes on the internet. With the distilled water based salt solution you have to store the non-preserved solution in a dark container or dark room as algae can grow in this media.

I've washed many a dog's eye and the mucus has always cleared up for me. In stubborn cases though I have found tiny pieces almost as small as a period on this page that did not rinse out but had to be wiped off with tissue paper. One tiny piece seemed to have some kind of a hook that held it in place.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:46 am

Thanks for the info. The pollen has really picked up in my area and I'm thinking that may be the cause.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu May 06, 2010 6:37 am

Thats what I was thinking...It can cause the goop. It was terible here this yr, but dogs get thru it...
brenda