Kennels - Dog Runs

gar-dog

Kennels - Dog Runs

Post by gar-dog » Thu May 06, 2010 9:10 am

We want to put in some dog-runs at my hunting/recreational club - maybe for 4-6 dogs. There is already an outdoor 18x12 fence for "common area" penning up of dogs, but we are looking for something more suitable for overnighting dogs. There are some sheds/barns around so an indoor/outdoor situation is doable. We would also consider a free-standing scenario too. Can anyone recommend some brands or set-ups and also please post pics if you've got them.

Another question: when dogs are together they get to yapping. We want to put our kennel far enough away from the lodge so that they won't bother people staying and sleeping in lodge rooms. One area we have in mind is about 500 ft away from the lodge - what are your thoughts on that distance?

Thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Gary

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennels - Dog Runs

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 06, 2010 10:44 am

At 500 feet it won't be quite as loud but you'll still hear them. Build it so you can sound proof the inside of the shed or dog boxes in the shed & keep them in at night. An indoor- outdoor set-up is ideal.

NIght time is always a challenge. When someone arrives at camp late it sets the dogs off. Some of our folks arriving late leave their dogs crated in the SUV that first night. The dogs are less likely to make noise in the truck's familiar surroundings and it's suprising how well barking is muffled by an SUV.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:54 am

I bought my kennels from Options Plus. They are sturdy, easy to assemble, and wonderful set up. I have mine on concrete, and inside a building. There is no outside runs but they are plenty big enough. I have been so pleased that I am going to order 5 more. You can see my set up at http://www.cekkennels.com/pictures.htm
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Thu May 06, 2010 3:27 pm

When I worked as a gamekeeper on a private estate we had a very well equipped office/dog kennel. The kennel runs, interior and exterior were supplied by the Mason Company http://www.masonco.com/ .

We also had radiant heat in the interior concrete slab.

500' = 166+ yds. That should be enough distance.

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu May 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Mason is by far the best that I have seen. Mine are 20 years old and still haven't started to rust. They are wrapped around the frame so there are no tension bars. They offer many options to give you exactly what you want.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu May 06, 2010 3:58 pm

I was on the Mason site earlier today. Yes, those look like the real deal.

Great idea on radiant heat in the flooring.

Keep it coming guys, thanks!

Gary

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 06, 2010 7:50 pm

No one make kennels like Mason, I have never seen anyone wrap the wire on the frame like they do. They have some great designs too. If you can afford them then go with them.

I have had custom kennels made in 1994 by a local small fence company that specialized in dog kennels and live stock pens and horse corrals. They worked with me on exactly what I wanted to fit where I needed them to fit. 9 gauge wire that has smaller holes than standard 11 or 12 guage wire mesh. No caught feet and no chewing the wire due to the smaller size and stronger mesh. All mine had solid roofs mounted to the frame of each kennel and angled for drainage. If cost is a factor work with a local chain link fence company and get exactly what your want made your way. It can be done.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 06, 2010 7:50 pm

No one make kennels like Mason, I have never seen anyone wrap the wire on the frame like they do. They have some great designs too. If you can afford them then go with them.

I have had custom kennels made in 1994 by a local small fence company that specialized in dog kennels and live stock pens and horse corrals. They worked with me on exactly what I wanted to fit where I needed them to fit. 9 gauge wire that has smaller holes than standard 11 or 12 guage wire mesh. No caught feet and no chewing the wire due to the smaller size and stronger mesh. All mine had solid roofs mounted to the frame of each kennel and angled for drainage. If cost is a factor work with a local chain link fence company and get exactly what your want made your way. It can be done.