Looking for a dog box solution......

Buckeye_V

Looking for a dog box solution......

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon May 10, 2010 7:52 am

Well, we are tossing around ideas for our next vehicle and we have it narrowed down to a Tahoe, Expedition or Acadia. I was looking around online for some dogboxes where I could fit it in the rear of any of those with 3 holes for vizslas. Anybody have any ideas, pics or solutions that have worked for y'all? I want something that can be removed for family trips, but put back in reasonably easy enough. The rear seat has to be up and open for passengers.

This is going to help make our decision for us.....

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Looking for a dog box solution......

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon May 10, 2010 8:55 am

How deep behind the seats?
How wide are the doors when open?
How tall are the door openings when open?

I saw a guy build, out of plywood, He had three over three he made to fit in his minivan.
for a two over two you would need to have 44"X 44"X 30" outside dimensions.
For three wide: 22" high X 64" wide.

Wife doesn't want a four door pickup?

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 am

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

-- Three single crates are more flexible than a three-hole box.
-- The dogs are better off in smaller boxes than larger. They shouldn't be up walking around.
-- The lips on the sides of the center crate can be mitigated by raising it or the side 2 enough to clear. This is pretty simple, but it'll buy you about 3 inches.
-- They need air back there. Some vents in the top would help a lot.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue May 11, 2010 6:51 am

i have tossed around the idea of making one out of plywood for my explorer, it could be customized to fit my needs and relatively cheap. after thinking about it i decided to keep using the kennels i have been. i think with the two larger vehicles you should be able to get 3 medium sized crates in there with the back seat up.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 11, 2010 12:54 pm

You can't fit three medium crates side by side in a Suburban (same width as a Tahoe). Suburbans & Tahoes have generally been about 48" wide in the cargo area. I easily fit two large & two medium Vari-Kennels behind the upright second seat of my Suburban. The Ford Excursion at the most has a couple of inches wider & an inch or two longer cargo area. I don't know if the Expedition is narrower than the Excursion. There is also no way you could stack medium plastic crates on top of one another in one of these vehicles. IMO three 16" wide spaces really don't leave quite enough space for a 45 to 55 pound dog to lay comfortably for long periods.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue May 11, 2010 5:33 pm

I think that your best bet is going to be either buy or build a trailer. the only other option and the one that I use in my ramcharger is that I have put one of those barriers behind the back seat. It works fairly well when we take multiple dogs on pheasant hunts. probly not the ideal set up but it gets the job done.
jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue May 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Thank you all! I'll be taking a tape measure and imagination with me to the dealership.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue May 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Have you thought about the Ruff Tough Kennels?
They are a pretty nice product and the outside width is 20".
Here's a likn to their website.
http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 pm

windswept wrote:Have you thought about the Ruff Tough Kennels?
They are a pretty nice product and the outside width is 20".
Here's a likn to their website.
http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/
Ditto on the rufftough, I bought one the first of the year, and the thing is awesome, it's somewhat flexible, so you could possibly slide three in side by side, there extremely durable, and the quality on these IMO is far superior to any other Vari-kennel.....and I get nutting for sayin that either....luv mine thats all I'll have from now on. They also have the ability to stack and lock on top of each other or side x side...

Food for Thought,

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Some of you guys could stand to read prior posts more carefully. When the vehicles the OP is looking at are a max of 48-49" inches wide, why do you suggest he might try putting three 20" wide kennels side by side in less than 60"? Neither the Tahoe nor Expedition have enough height to stack Ruff Tough or any other plastic kennels that'll hold a standard sized V.

It's either going to be two crates facing backwards & one crate sideways between the seat back & the other two kennels or a custom dog box with a similar configuration or a custom dog box without internal panels with a common area for the dogs.

IMO too many vehicle interiors have been destroyed by dogs left in vehicles with a barrier behind the back seat. I know of a dog that tore out the entire area behind the barrier in less than 30 minutes at a stop. I'd never use a barrier.

JMO
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed May 12, 2010 6:35 am

BigShooter wrote:Some of you guys could stand to read prior posts more carefully. When the vehicles the OP is looking at are a max of 48-49" inches wide, why do you suggest he might try putting three 20" wide kennels side by side in less than 60"? Neither the Tahoe nor Expedition have enough height to stack Ruff Tough or any other plastic kennels that'll hold a standard sized V.

It's either going to be two crates facing backwards & one crate sideways between the seat back & the other two kennels or a custom dog box with a similar configuration or a custom dog box without internal panels with a common area for the dogs.

IMO too many vehicle interiors have been destroyed by dogs left in vehicles with a barrier behind the back seat. I know of a dog that tore out the entire area behind the barrier in less than 30 minutes at a stop. I'd never use a barrier.

JMO
My apologies to the chef there Mark....................

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 am

No offesne taken here. I was just looking for opinions and ideas and I got them.

The 2 dogs I have no can be left in the vehicle and they will not do any damage other than smudging the windows or drinking out of my water glass - which they felt was put there for them! I guess I am lucky, so far. It's that 3rd coming soon that may change the game......

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 12, 2010 8:23 am

Buckeye_V wrote:No offesne taken here. I was just looking for opinions and ideas and I got them.

The 2 dogs I have no can be left in the vehicle and they will not do any damage other than smudging the windows or drinking out of my water glass - which they felt was put there for them! I guess I am lucky, so far. It's that 3rd coming soon that may change the game......
LVRGSP & Windswept - I was out of character when I issued that bit of criticism. My apologies.

BV - you've got it figured out. As you know it's the new dog, pups or younger dogs that have less predictable behaviors.

One good thing about buying something smaller than a Suburban, Excursion, Van or Pickup - it makes you think twice before getting that third or fourth dog. :lol:

Hope you all have a nice day! :)
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM