OFA

co1651

OFA

Post by co1651 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Do you put your dogs under when doing the OFA xray? I hear horror stories and gripes about both

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: OFA

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 25, 2010 6:51 pm

co1651 wrote:Do you put your dogs under when doing the OFA xray? I hear horror stories and gripes about both
I'm not a vet so no I don't put my dogs under! :D The vet I contacted to do OFA films for me uses sedation.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Definitely not!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 25, 2010 8:59 pm

My vet tries not to do any sedation for OFA unless the dog absolutely is struggling with him ...he prefer them awake so the muscles are not relaxed if they are relaxed your dog will not get as tight of a reading if your vet doesn't know how to set them right to make up for how lax the muscles get when they are sedated ..the reading difference is not going to be that drastic as a good hip and socket are going to be good hip and socket but it can make the difference between an excellent and a good if everything is real close or a good and a fair if the hips not as deep
it may get a border line form a fair if it is to relaxed But OFA will ask for another x ray to be taken if the vet does a poor job they are not that lax in their job some vets are better at setting dogs to get better views of hips having them straighter then others

But bad hips are bad hips and no matter what a vet does they will not be able to hide that :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 pm

k9,

Another great post!
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed May 26, 2010 6:44 am

The vet I use only sedates if they can't get good x-rays when the dog is awake (they're squirming/fighting too much). I've yet to have them sedate one of mine.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:46 am

kninebirddog wrote:... But OFA will ask for another x ray to be taken if the vet does a poor job they are not that lax in their job some vets are better at setting dogs to get better views of hips having them straighter then others
Have to disagree with that. I know of a few instances where OFA accepted very poorly done films and rated them anyway. Poorly positioned dogs, poorly exposed films, you name it. I've always had the impression that OFA will evaluate anything that gets mailed to them.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 26, 2010 7:28 am

I know of a few people who have been asked to have x rays to be redone

I have also seen a couple not as straight x rays that ..the dog got a fair ...the hip was shallow and it didn't matter even when the guy took his dog to another vet and had the hips redone in a better position...result came back the same Fair

If anyone has a question on their results...You can Call OFA and they will be happy to go over the evaluation and explain why your dog got the rating it did...
Some people just can't accept that something they own isn't perfect

Some people do not understand how their dog can run and play and jump and look and act normal but the x ray reveals a dyplastic hip(s)
I know the crush of when you have high hopes on a dog only to have it come back with no OFA number and then have to start over because I want to have a breeding program

Anyway no program is perfect but at least with OFA one can go to the www.offa.org website and learn some about the dog they have as long as the breeders before had their dogs OFA'd and posted

and if you have questions call OFA..I have a couple times even to ask Dr Kellers Opinion on a couple dogs I wanted to breed
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed May 26, 2010 8:57 am

Definitely lightly sedated. I have always heard the opposite to the post above... that the pictures are better when the muscles are relaxed and not tense. We have tried both ways and prefer the light sedation (with better results). A lot of it depends on the vet doing them and their experience. I have also been told by former OFA Vet that experience may be the difference between good and excellent but bad hips show up no matter what. Personal decision, I guess.

Carla

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 am

If you have a bitch , for best results you should not have it done during a heat cycle or within 30 days of nursing.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed May 26, 2010 10:16 am

OFA actually recommends doing it under sedation (to the point of relaxation, anyway). not required, though. in my experience, it is pretty tough to position the legs the way they need to be and get the dog to hold still. preoper positioning is a little painful

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 am

dog dr wrote:OFA actually recommends doing it under sedation (to the point of relaxation, anyway). not required, though. in my experience, it is pretty tough to position the legs the way they need to be and get the dog to hold still. preoper positioning is a little painful
This is what I had always heard and it was better because you got a better x-ray. I know OFA has recommended it for years and have never heard where they had changed their minds. Just has to be a lot easier on the dog and the vet to do it that way. Hopefully that leads to better results.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:54 am

kninebirddog wrote:I know of a few people who have been asked to have x rays to be redone

I have also seen a couple not as straight x rays that ..the dog got a fair ...the hip was shallow and it didn't matter even when the guy took his dog to another vet and had the hips redone in a better position...result came back the same Fair

If anyone has a question on their results...You can Call OFA and they will be happy to go over the evaluation and explain why your dog got the rating it did...
Some people just can't accept that something they own isn't perfect

Some people do not understand how their dog can run and play and jump and look and act normal but the x ray reveals a dyplastic hip(s)
I know the crush of when you have high hopes on a dog only to have it come back with no OFA number and then have to start over because I want to have a breeding program

Anyway no program is perfect but at least with OFA one can go to the http://www.offa.org website and learn some about the dog they have as long as the breeders before had their dogs OFA'd and posted

and if you have questions call OFA..I have a couple times even to ask Dr Kellers Opinion on a couple dogs I wanted to breed
Different experiences for different people, I guess. It's not just people jumping to an unsupported conclusion that the film was done wrong, either. I know of terrible films that had 2-3 additional vets review and attest that they were done improperly. To the point that the original vet issued a refund.

I'd rather just not leave it to chance, so we go to an experienced vet. For better or for worse, we want it done right. There's a vet 2 hours away from us that has been doing OFA films for many years, does it well, and almost always predicts accurately what the dog's rating is going to be. He's worth the trip. fwiw, he also sedates.

Anyway - while I think they could be more discerning on the films they accept, I do agree that OFA is about the best thing going. Their database is simply a fantastic resource.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed May 26, 2010 2:25 pm

dog dr wrote:OFA actually recommends doing it under sedation (to the point of relaxation, anyway). not required, though. in my experience, it is pretty tough to position the legs the way they need to be and get the dog to hold still. preoper positioning is a little painful
If you're having a hard time positioning the legs without anesthesia you might want to head up to Dr. Link at Spring Harbor Animal Hospital in Madison, WI he does all his hip and elbow xrays with dogs fully awake it takes a matter of 5 minutes from the time you head to the back to the time your back out and never once have my dogs show any sort of "pain" also both of mine came back excellent...

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed May 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Adam wrote:
If you're having a hard time positioning the legs without anesthesia you might want to head up to Dr. Link at Spring Harbor Animal Hospital in Madison, WI he does all his hip and elbow xrays with dogs fully awake it takes a matter of 5 minutes from the time you head to the back to the time your back out and never once have my dogs show any sort of "pain" also both of mine came back excellent...
hey, good for you. they want to squirm too much for me! course he must really be fast, cause it takes about 5 minutes just to develop the x-rays! :wink:

freefallgsp

Post by freefallgsp » Wed May 26, 2010 6:56 pm

We have always lightly sedated all of our dogs... Dobes, GSMDs, and now the GSPs... probably will continue to do it, too. Never had a problem with it, so I guess it is all just on personal preference of the vet and/or the owner of the dog.

co1651

Post by co1651 » Wed May 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Adam, you are the second person I know that told me to go there w/o sedation. Sounds like it will be worth the 3hr ride in feb

Thanks all for your input

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu May 27, 2010 7:54 am

co1651 wrote:Do you put your dogs under when doing the OFA xray? I hear horror stories and gripes about both

just curious, what kind of "horror stories" have you heard regarding sedating the dogs??

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu May 27, 2010 8:16 am

just curious, what kind of "horror stories" have you heard regarding sedating the dogs??
I am curious as to the horror stories of sedation as well.....
Also, have never heard of radiographs being done for hips w/o sedation due to the possible painful positioning and also the fact that many dogs will not stay still. But, to each his own..

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:53 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
I am curious as to the horror stories of sedation as well.....
Also, have never heard of radiographs being done for hips w/o sedation due to the possible painful positioning and also the fact that many dogs will not stay still. But, to each his own..

I think if there are horror stories, they are just that, stories. I am sure there has been a problem sometime or the other but I can find no evidence that it is a problem worth worrying about. I agree, let the vets do what they are comfortable with but I can see problems with quality x-rays if the dog is moving or can't be positioned correctly.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Thu May 27, 2010 12:52 pm

The only "horror" stories I have heard involve either Collies or Greyhounds which can be suseptible to anesthia. And then they weren't horror stories because the owners knew going in about the risk.

Carla

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri May 28, 2010 6:30 pm

dog dr wrote:

And if your dog has a problem with sedation do you really want to use it in a breeding program!

Every vet I've ever used for OFA sedates the dog. I also have PennHip done at the same time so you would have to sedate the dog to get proper positioning.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 28, 2010 7:57 pm

If a dog is in pain because of being stretched out for an OFA x ray that in itself is in indicator to me something is wrong

The only dogs I have ever seen have a problem being laid on their backs are ones that have figured out the squirming and crying gets them out of doing something that they do not want to do
Or that were dysplastic My vet over the years has only semi sedated one of my dogs and that was because he my vet thought that little extra extension could get an excellent reading ...which after I spoke with Dr Keller of OFA he said that there was one spot in his hops that was a bit flatter then they would have like and My dogs final reading was an excellent good good with remarks noting what prevented the doc from giving my dog an excellent across the board.

If any one has a question you should try emailing or even calling the OFA office . I have a few times and found it very informative and helpful in decisions I was making

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 pm

I checked with several local vets and all said they would sedate. Dropped her off in the morning and picked her up on my way home from work. Came back "good" 2 weeks later. Cost was $155 to the vet and $35 to OFA.
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP