NSTRA event in Waverly. NE

southernblues

NSTRA event in Waverly. NE

Post by southernblues » Wed May 26, 2010 11:28 am

Don't know if there are many NSTRA followers here but I see Midwest Nationals in next week in Waverly NE. 128 dogs. Nolan Huffman has Rusty and another dog running along with others I've seen mentioned here. I've never been to the NSTRA events but really interested. Is there much of a gallery (not horseback)? Expectations??

Any else going?

http://www.nstra.org/owens.htm

Owens Products Mid-West National Championship Trial

[CLICK HERE FOR DRAW RESULTS]

The trial is to be held on June 2-5, 2010 at the Rock Creek Field Trial Association in Waverly, Nebraska. Entry fee will be $150 per entry. Entry deadline is April 30, 2010 with the first 128 qualified dogs guaranteed entry.

The number of dogs will be up to 128 with the qualifications as follows:

Participation in the National trials held in the year preceding the trial:
2009 Endurance, 2009 Dog of the Year, 2010 Grand National, 2010 Quail Invitational, 2010 Trial of Champions
2009 Purina Top Performance winner
Participation in the Regional Elimination trial held in the qualifying period May 1, 2009 through April 30, 2010.

The trial will be conducted as follows:
1st round – Beat your Brace Mate
2nd round – Top 16 scored
3rd and final round – Beat your Brace Mate

This trial is subject to the same rules and regulations as all other National Trials.

A pretrial will be held on May 29 – June 1 on the trial grounds in Waverly. There won’t be any practice days due to this trial. SEND YOUR ENTRIES IN TO BILL DUBS IMMEDIATELY TO GET ENTERED IN THIS TRIAL.

If you have any questions contact Bill Dubs at 402-367-4244 or Mike Rost at 402-525-8334

They are now taking camper reservations.

Hotel Information:
Hampton Inn: 402-435-4600
Settle Inn: 402-435-8100
Quality Inn: 402-475-9541
Horizon Inn: 402-474-5252

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: NSTRA event in Waverly. NE

Post by snips » Wed May 26, 2010 6:49 pm

At the Waverly grounds you can see most of both fields from the club house...
brenda

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Wed May 26, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm going down. I haven't been there but heard it's nice.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu May 27, 2010 7:57 am

I've been out there many times. It is nothing like a horseback trial if you've been to one of those. As someone stated, you can see everything from the clubhouse porch. It is two flat, about 15 acres, short grass fields. You'll be able to see all the dogs.

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Thu May 27, 2010 7:51 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:I've been out there many times. It is nothing like a horseback trial if you've been to one of those. As someone stated, you can see everything from the clubhouse porch. It is two flat, about 15 acres, short grass fields. You'll be able to see all the dogs.
15 acres??? If you have been there, you would know the size of the fields. If you haven't, use Google Earth...each field is about 40 acres.
If its not a bird dog, it's just a dog!

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:I've been out there many times. It is nothing like a horseback trial if you've been to one of those. As someone stated, you can see everything from the clubhouse porch. It is two flat, about 15 acres, short grass fields. You'll be able to see all the dogs.
No way they are 15 acres. NSTRA would never run trials on fields that small. NSTRA fields should be at minimum 30 acres and preferred to be 40 or a bit more.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu May 27, 2010 9:13 pm

I have run on them, they are around 40 acres. No Nat'l trial would be on such small fields.
brenda

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 pm

So I'm trying to debate on when to go. It starts on the 2nd and run to the 5th. I suppose that i could see a lot of dogs if I went on the 2nd with the opening runs or wait til the 5th where it will be narrowed down to the final braces...I'd really like to see Rusty (Nolan's Britt) run.

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Fri May 28, 2010 5:00 am

If you go on the 4th, you will see some good braces. Many of the top dogs will still be in it (and likely braced together). If I was to pick only one day, that would be the day I would go.

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Fri May 28, 2010 6:11 am

After all this is the internet, if this guy says it, it must be true :roll: :roll:. I have run there several times (just like ElhewPointer claims) there are times I wished they were 15 acres :lol: . With 90 degree plus temps and 35 mph winds, finding birds was not easy.

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Fri May 28, 2010 9:20 am

Rusty runs 13th brace on A Field on June 2nd.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon May 31, 2010 7:30 am

Okay guys, quit freaking out! I've been there many times. I live about 30 miles from there. The original post asked if he could see anything. I guess the fields looked smaller then your 40 acre spots, sorry. The point I was trying to get at, is you can see everything. Go, have fun. Enjoy.

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 am

do you have to be a nstra member ($50 yr) to watch?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon May 31, 2010 9:32 am

Anyone can watch:)
brenda

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:35 am

Don't want to bust your bubble, but the bad guy looked up on the county assessor page the grounds. And it appears that it is probably between both our views. The whole property itself consists of 72.54 acres. Therefore leading me to believe you probably can't get two 40 acre fields out of that. After you minus the long drive way that runs next to the creek, all the parking, the clubhouse and the right-of-way of the south road. You probably come up with two 25-30 acre fields. Just thought I should let you know that the "claims" weren't to far off. I don't know if the trial is still going, but if it is good luck to all.

Here is the link to the county assessor page to let you know I'm not making claims. However it is the internet, soooo. http://orion.lancaster.ne.gov/appraisal ... rID=371529

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:48 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
brenda

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:00 pm

The difference between 15 and 30 is pretty significant. Double in fact.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:54 pm

It looks to be your good at math Romeo, although even a 40 acre field doesnt seem enough to "prove" a dog IMHO. When was the last time you hunted a 40 acre field, found birds and werent at a canned hunt or hunting in NY? No offense NY folks, maybe I should have said Los Angeles!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:39 pm

topher40 wrote:When was the last time you hunted a 40 acre field
It all depends on where you reside. I live in Michigan. We don't have large plots. 40 acres is a typical CRP field and 40-80 acres is a typical clearcut that we target for grouse (obviously mixed into larger state-land woods).

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:52 pm

topher40 wrote:It looks to be your good at math Romeo, although even a 40 acre field doesnt seem enough to "prove" a dog IMHO. When was the last time you hunted a 40 acre field, found birds and werent at a canned hunt or hunting in NY? No offense NY folks, maybe I should have said Los Angeles!
We actually find wild birds on our 40 acre fields pretty consistently in western Oklahoma. However I do concede that I wish the dogs ran more of a course in nstra than a 40 acre field.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:01 pm

we used to move a dozen or more coveys a day in 40 acre or less fields.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:05 pm

topher40 wrote:It looks to be your good at math Romeo, although even a 40 acre field doesnt seem enough to "prove" a dog IMHO. When was the last time you hunted a 40 acre field, found birds and werent at a canned hunt or hunting in NY? No offense NY folks, maybe I should have said Los Angeles!

Not sure how many acres it takes to proof a dog since I have never seen that done. But we have some excellent competion in seeing how many birds we can find in twenty minutes, have the dog point each, shoot without missing, and have each retrieved to hand with out the shooter moving. Some dogs are better at it than others but there is always some luck involved. But when we are all through, the dogs are just the same as they were before the competion and all we proved was we can still have fun with our dogs playing all kinds of silly little games with them whether we do it by seeing how quick we can find 5 or six birds in a 30 acre field oe if we see how far they can run in 30 minutes or an hour and find a few birds while doing it. But when we are all through, all we proved is our dogs can hunt and do it in a manner that we want them to depending on the gane we are playing.

The only thing I see proved at a trial is the stuff we sit around the fire with in the evening that says 100 Proof.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:34 pm

birddog1968 wrote:we used to move a dozen or more coveys a day in 40 acre or less fields.....
:D
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:34 am

Any placement at a big national event of any format is something to be proud of.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 am

snips wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:we used to move a dozen or more coveys a day in 40 acre or less fields.....
Be nice now....... :mrgreen:
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Any placement at a big national event of any format is something to be proud of.
Absolutely.....

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:08 am

Actually, I have no problem with the 40 acre thing at all. I don't know about dozens of coveys, but yeah I hunt spot that size sometimes and find plenty of birds. Lets get this out of the way, you guys got all huffy puffy. I wasn't trying to get the size exact. Couldn't care less! I was trying to tell the guy you can see everything. The thing about this spot is; if I was driving the country roads and drove up to these grounds, there is no way I'd think about hunting it. There is no cover, the grass is to short. There is NO WAY, if you are a bird hunter, and you pulled up to this spot, that you'd think there was a crying chance in heck that there'd be a wild bird there.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:03 pm

snips wrote:

You callin my bluff???? :D Not a dozen coveys in A 40 acre field, a dozen coveys a day in FIELDS that are 40 acres or less...... the 70's and early 80's were the good ole days (from my perspective) for Mr. Bob on THE Shore. ;) In my youth I could move 3 or 4 coveys on my grandparents back 8 acres, on a good day, no dog needed.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:Actually, I have no problem with the 40 acre thing at all. I don't know about dozens of coveys, but yeah I hunt spot that size sometimes and find plenty of birds. Lets get this out of the way, you guys got all huffy puffy. I wasn't trying to get the size exact. Couldn't care less! I was trying to tell the guy you can see everything. The thing about this spot is; if I was driving the country roads and drove up to these grounds, there is no way I'd think about hunting it. There is no cover, the grass is to short. There is NO WAY, if you are a bird hunter, and you pulled up to this spot, that you'd think there was a crying chance in heck that there'd be a wild bird there.
Actually when I ran on those fields we moved wild pheasant. Been a few years ago, maybe it's changed.
brenda

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Fair enough, im not gonna argue. Good luck to all that are there.

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:48 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:Actually, I have no problem with the 40 acre thing at all. I don't know about dozens of coveys, but yeah I hunt spot that size sometimes and find plenty of birds. Lets get this out of the way, you guys got all huffy puffy. I wasn't trying to get the size exact. Couldn't care less! I was trying to tell the guy you can see everything. The thing about this spot is; if I was driving the country roads and drove up to these grounds, there is no way I'd think about hunting it. There is no cover, the grass is to short. There is NO WAY, if you are a bird hunter, and you pulled up to this spot, that you'd think there was a crying chance in heck that there'd be a wild bird there.
In one of our trial grounds in Utah every year we have at least one brace if not more end up pointing Sage Grouse! We had one down by Vegas once and I ended up moving a covey of gambles in the 14th brace! I argued they were Quail and all should count for me! I tried! :mrgreen:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:34 pm

Any one heard how things are going? I have tried emailing a couple people

I sure miss going to the Rock Creek Grounds Love the way it is set up to run the NSTRA trials dogs get a good run and good work.

I have had lots of Great times there running dogs and fishing in the creek behind the grounds and the Dinners at the Steak house or pizza at the keno place in waverly.
Maybe now they have this weekend going again we may have to venture back ,,get some turkey hunting in also

That's what it is about getting together and having a good time. :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:26 pm

I don't know much of the results, but I know that Scooby and Quincy from the Michigan region are in the final 16. JR Coke's "Lady" dog from Indiana is also in. Blazer and Jo are out, but that is about all that I know.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:25 pm

I heard it was hot and muggy and the dogs that were moving slower were finding the birds.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm not sure who the other dog in the final brace is but one is miller's butch out of our region in Oklahoma.

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:23 pm

The winner was "Maggie" handled by Nick Miller from the Michigan region, but I believe Maggie is actually an Indiana region dog.

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 am

Placements below:

Winner – Turner’s Maggie Sue - GSP/F – (IN) Bob Turner/O, Nick Miller/H

1st RU – Miller’s Butch - ES/M – (OK) Robert Miller/ O-H

2nd RU – BBB’s Lucky Strike - BR/M – (RM) Steve Chang/ O-H

3rd RU – Moniteus Main Man - EP/M – (MSM) Kelsey Jones/O, Chad Calicott/H

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 am

I can't believe how the GSP's have dominated the Nat'l trials the last yr in NSTRA!!!!
brenda

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:14 pm

snips wrote:I can't believe how the GSP's have dominated the Nat'l trials the last yr in NSTRA!!!!
Rightfully so! :mrgreen:

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Brenda thought we were switching you over to wires?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:42 pm

I will be forever faithful to my GSP's!!! But I do have 3 Wires now :roll:
brenda