Gordon Setters

OUBobcat06

Gordon Setters

Post by OUBobcat06 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Hey guys,

I'm starting to look into getting a new pup over the summer and I was wondering what everyone's opinion about the Gordon was. I've done quite a bit of research online, and they seem like a great fit for me. My main concern is how they are as family dogs. I plan to hunt with it, but Fall is my busiest time for work, so those plans might not always go as I would hope. (It will still get daily exercise etc. but I can't travel then, and there aren't really any birds around us). What are some of the pros and cons with them that you guys have experienced? Does anyone know any reputable breeders I could get in touch with to find out some more about the breed?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

dan v

Re: Gordon Setters

Post by dan v » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 am

Don't fall for the breed stereotype...Oh, they're a one person dog....they don't do well in a kennel. It's all relative to the individual's up bringing.

Do your homework, research various breeders and be honest with what you're looking for. They are a setter, and they grow hair. The field dogs generally require less grooming than the dual bred. I'm leaving the strictlyshow bred dogs out of the discussion......this is a gundog forum after all. The knock on FT bred dogs is that they are crazy in the house. On the whole, that's a blatant lie. I don't care the breed, some individuals don't do well in the house.

You can find females down to 30lbs and probably the top end in field bred males is 70lbs. I prefer to stay under 60lbs for males.

You should be able to find dogs that fill the whole spectrum of needs, from fast athletic field trial breedings to larger more comfortable foot paced dogs.

So the moral of the story is this. Find a breeder that produces the type of dog you'll want, and if you are comfortable with them as a breeder, put a deposit down on a pup. If you really think you're gonna call around and find the perfect breeder with a puppy available...well chances are gonna be slim.
Dan

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 am

I love Gordon Setters. The Gordon Setter Club holds their field events at our farm, and I've judged quite a few of their field trials. I've also boarded some and all were great in the house, most were fine in the kennel. But like all setter breeds, there is a HUGE difference, between those bred for field and those bred for show, in terms of hunting ability, size, appearance, and coat. Temperament-wise, I've not noticed much difference between field and show lines. Most I've known were very goofy and sweet and fine with other dogs and people, though the field gordons seemed a bit smarter and didn't blow quite as much coat everywhere.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Its a rare breed on the east coast but I knew a bench type that was a very nice animal, really sweet but he bloated and passed away at around age 5 or 6. If you get one do your homework on that.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 am

Pro's and Con's...? This is all subjective now. And restricted to field bred Gordon's.

In my opinion:

Pro's
1) Looks, They don't get any better looking than a Gordon!
2) The dogs that I've owned have been great house and family dogs
3) Multiple speeds = Calm in the house and go getters in the field.
4) Hunt with and for you. All of my dogs have wanted to hunt with me and keep track of me. This is not unique to Gordons, but it's still a nice trait to have.
5) Good Stamina and sturdy feet.
6) They make a "good" dependable hunting dogs with just exposure to wild birds.
7) Health issues are no greater or less than other breeds.

Con's
1) The hair - depending on the lines the hair can be a bigger issue. I bought a good pair of clippers and give them a good trim before hunting season. And.. I don't purposely hunt pheasants so my time in burr infested cover is very limited.
2) I'll get heat for this one, but in my experiences they are not strong retreivers, some do with the enthusiasm of a lab and some don't like it, if you force fetch they all will fetch. Added by edit - Some lines are better than others
3) In my experiences they do not handle "Formal" training at an early age. Some dogs can be a little soft on point when harsher methods are used. Each dog is different and training should be tailored to the individual dog. Cookie cutter methods for other breeds may not be appropriate for this breed. Added by Edit - I've incorporated clicker training into my early training techniques with good results.

Breeders
1) Take a look at http://www.gundogbreeders.com This is the most extensive list of field gordons that I have found on the net.
2) There is a Gordon Setter forum at http://forums.delphiforums.com/gordonsetter/start/. This forum is frequented by many of the current field Gordon breeders. You can discuss gordon setters all day long with those that are passionate about the breed.
3) Do your home work and be willing to wait for a breeding between quality dogs.

After having many other types of bird dogs throughout my life I've now owned Gordons for the last 22 years and haven't looked back.

Good luck
Last edited by Gordon Guy on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:33 pm

mcbosco wrote:Its a rare breed on the east coast but I knew a bench type that was a very nice animal, really sweet but he bloated and passed away at around age 5 or 6. If you get one do your homework on that.
Not rare at all. I see quite a few on the east coast and I've judged some very nice ones at hunt tests. There's a woman in OH who handles quite a few Gordons in walking trials.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Wyndancer wrote:You should be able to find dogs that fill the whole spectrum of needs, from fast athletic field trial breedings to larger more comfortable foot paced dogs.

As is frequently the case, wyndancer is right. For a relatively low-registration breed, there are an unusual number of clear and distinct "lines" of hunting Gordons. Figure out what you want. It's a wonderful breed and very fine house dogs. Obviously, avoid pure show lines if you want to hunt, though genuine dual-bred lines (not show dogs that the breeders claim are "birdy") are surprisingly (to me, anyway) effective bird dogs and look great, too.

Can't go wrong with a good well-selected Gordon. I've had two of two completely different lines/types. Both beyond what I deserve..or anyone else, either.

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:08 pm

I'll pose a question and then let the pros answer... but as I watch my light coated ES lay on the floor and pant after being outside for a good bit, I wonder if that OU stands for Oklahoma or Ohio. If Oklahoma, I wonder how well they deal with the sun and heat with that dark coat.

Truly beautiful dogs though, wish we saw more of them around here.

Shane

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:23 am

Shane,

I think as with any dark dog heat is a factor. Then couple that with heat tolerance hasn't been a priority with the breed. But I think heat tolerance is an issue in most breeds, certainly the field ES breeders are concerned about it, just by the chatter about what "lines" are more heat tolerant.

I do think the breed has made some strides in that area, not all, but some.
Dan

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:35 am

Yes, hot sunny days are an issue to Gordons... and Gordon owners. But conversely they tolerate cold better than other dogs and continue to hunt when other shorthaired breeds show signs of stress. I lived in ND for 15 + years and have seen and experienced the difference in cold tolerance between individual dogs of different breeds. Also, you can see a Gordon much better in the snow covered woods or fields then you can a mostly white dog. It's no coincidence that a vast majority of the breeders are in the northern tier of the US.

Conditioning is very important aspect of their heat Tolerance. A Gordon owner/breeder in Parma Idaho runs his dogs quite a bit during the summer months off his 4 wheeler and his dogs do better than others in the warmer early season.
Tom

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 am

Since the original question was about Gordons as family dogs, I'll add something. While well-socialized Gordons are unfailingly polite to visitors(I took mine to the office every day) as well as playful and humorous at home, adult Gordons once they lock into you are responsible dogs and serious about taking care of you and yours.They are not just funny-colored English Setters. A comment I saw some years ago was that "English Setters will show the burglar the silver; Irish Setters will back up, barking hysterically; Gordons will hitch up their pants and tackle the guy."

Suffice to say that if your wife takes an adult Gordon that loves her for a walk, especially an intact male, she'll have not just a dog but a pretty fair bodyguard as well. Polite and sensible, though.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:36 am

A couple of years ago, I judged a gun dog stake under miserable conditions: 80* and 90% humidity. Otherwise good dogs, mostly white, wilted before the 30 minutes were up. Then in the heat of the day, a gordon setter broke away and tore up that course! The only time she didn't run flat out was when she slammed a point. There was a bit of grumbling when we gave the blue to the black dog, but she was head and shoulders above the pack :D

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"