East Wind

Tall Boy

East Wind

Post by Tall Boy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:41 pm

I've heard that on days with an East wind Murphy himself will be following you around the field. Maybe it's just me but I must say that I have had some of my worst hunts with an E. wind. It just seems that the dogs don't act right, the birds don't act right, suff gets lost, I even had two dud shells in one box! Just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed an E. wind playing tricks?

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Re: East Wind

Post by highcotton » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:12 pm

I have never had much luck bird hunting with an East wind. My Dad would not even go fishing if the wind was out of the East. :)

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:01 pm

I don't have much luck bird hunting or fishing when there is an east wind. I don't know why, I have heard the old timers talk about it my whole life.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:09 pm

If there are birds and bird dogs in the same field then there is noreason the dogs couldn't find them just as well no matter where the wind is. Thee is some truth to the fishing thing though since a east wind is the resukt of a low pressure area moing in to the south of you and fish dont bite wekk normally during a low pressure period. But my dogs have never complained about the direction of the wind since they are hunting body scent.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:56 am

ezzy333 wrote: But my dogs have never complained about the direction of the wind since they are hunting body scent.
Haha my dogs never complain either, but I'm telling you there's something in the air that makes them a little crazy. I run dogs almost everyday during hunting season, and yardwork almost everyday out of season. And I can say without a doubt that there is a noticable difference in the way my dogs handle and run in an East wind. My dad owns an obedience business in Pensacola, FL, and even he tells me his dogs act different with a stiff East wind coming across the airport.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:58 pm

What the heck is an east wind? Wind only blows out of the south in the summertime and north in the wintertime where I live. :D

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:53 am

Wind out of the East the Huntin and a Fishin is the least, wind out of the West the Huntin and a Fishin is the best.......I take it thats the old sayin we have all heard........I know my Grandad still says it.....

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:53 am

I think it is regional. When we lived in Montgomery, AL, the bow hunting was often terrific when the wind was from the east.

When I lived in TN growing up, the saying was "When the wind is from the east, the fish bite the least and the weather is not fit for man or beast".

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:55 pm

I can't give a reason why the East wind makes things wierd but I have seen it enough times in the last 40+ years to know there is something to it.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I think it is regional. When we lived in Montgomery, AL, the bow hunting was often terrific when the wind was from the east.

When I lived in TN growing up, the saying was "When the wind is from the east, the fish bite the least and the weather is not fit for man or beast".
Could it be that the bad scenting conditions would also effect to the deers' ability to scent you...making for better bow hunting. :)