fixed up the kennel today pictures added

sjkennels

fixed up the kennel today pictures added

Post by sjkennels » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:34 pm

well i got Bord today and figured my two dogs should be able to play together. and i had a some extra 10x10 panels laying around and made there kennel 32 foot long by 10 foot wide next weekend i have off i am going to hook up my other 10x10 kennel and make there kennel 42x10 so they will have plenty of room to run around in. but i didnt think about the feeding situation my gsp is really dominant and a fast eater and my pointer is a really slow eater. so how would i make sure they both get there own food? like i said i didnt think of that part when we stuck all of these kennels together. my idea was to put a food bowl on each side of the kennel and stand out there or check on them and make sure my gsp doesnt still my pointers food. so please let me know what you guys do or any ideas. thanks in advance. and i will get some pictures of the kennels up tomorrow.
kennel2.jpg
kennel1.jpg
edited to make add pictures and shorten the title of thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sjkennels on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kick'em up knock'em down

fuzznut

Re: fixed up a new kennel but i left out one detail

Post by fuzznut » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:20 am

couple of things you could do-
feed one in the kennel, the other one outside
get a short section of chain and chain one to the fence while they eat.
get two short sections of chain and chain them both while they eat.
teach them both to respect the others bowl.....tricky but can be done.

Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 am

I would strongly suggest to NOT keep them kenneled together. If your GSP is really dominate she probobally is not very fun to live with. I would give them their own space.

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:18 am

there fine now. i think my gsp just plays really rough but i been out there for a while this morning and they are minding there own business and playing around now.
kick'em up knock'em down

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:17 am

sjkennels wrote:there fine now. i think my gsp just plays really rough but i been out there for a while this morning and they are minding there own business and playing around now.
The point that I was trying to make is that I don't see any sense in penning up two or more dogs together unless you have too.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:41 pm

The only reason to pen two dogs up would be so both can have max room, rather than dividing it in 1/2. The dominance issue is easy to solve if you have established your dominance, you simply do not allow them to do it. In a proper pack dynamic once you convey to them it is not acceptable it should put an end to it 80% percent of the time. You will still have the occasional argument, but not everytime. One of my two labs was like that when I took over this kennel, and through proper obedience plus a coming to jesus moment she has completley changed, and is as sweet as she can be. I had another pair where one would eat the others food, so we chained him up until he was done eating. Same thing, proper obedience and increasing pressure until the undesired behavior is resolved; hasn't stolen another bite since.

The way I would do it is put the non-dominant dogs food down first and stop any reaction of the dominant dog to eat it. Once he has started feed the dominant dog and wait there until she is finished, stopping any reaction towards the other dog.

Now I will tell you this, it will only work if you squash any and all signs of dominance from that dominant dog. YOU are dominant over both, neither of them is dominant over each other. My dad trains obedience in Pensacola, FL and two - three times per class he has everybody turn their dogs loose. Anything from mastiffs to border collies all running free together, and it is every dog knowing their place in the pack that allows this to happen without any fights.

You have to look at your family as the pack, with whoever has the most interaction with the dogs being pack leader.

Good Luck

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:48 pm

thats great advice thanks. thats what i was going for is instead of having them each in there own 10x10 i just put all of the panels together so they would have 300 sq feet to run in instead of 100 sq feet they will have 400 feet next weekend i have off but i will stand there while my pointer eats and stop my gsp if she starts to do anything. i dont think i will have much of a problem solving it.
kick'em up knock'em down

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Re: fixed up the kennel today pictures added

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:23 pm

The dominance issue is easy to solve if you have established your dominance, you simply do not allow them to do it.
Yup, exactly what I was gonna say. I can feed all my dogs at the same time anywhere and they'll eat their own and go on about their business. If they go to interfere with another dog, they deal with me, not the other dog. :wink:

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Tall Boy wrote: The dominance issue is easy to solve if you have established your dominance, you simply do not allow them to do it.
Tall Boy wrote: and through proper obedience plus a coming to jesus moment she has completley changed,
Tall Boy wrote: so we chained him up until he was done eating. Same thing, proper obedience and increasing pressure until the undesired behavior is resolved
All of this would be unnessesary if they each had there own kennel :roll: .
Tall Boy wrote:The way I would do it is put the non-dominant dogs food down first and stop any reaction of the dominant dog to eat it. Once he has started feed the dominant dog and wait there until she is finished, stopping any reaction towards the other dog.
sjkennels wrote:my pointer is a really slow eater.
I believe he stated that the non-dominate dog does'nt wolf her food down.
sjkennels wrote:thats what i was going for is instead of having them each in there own 10x10
A 10x10 kennel is plenty big enough for one dog. BTW a kennel is not meant for exercise or conditioning the owner is responsible for that. A bullied dog will show a noticable change in their demeanor.
sjkennels wrote:they would have 300 sq feet to run in instead of 100 sq feet

Are you serious? 300 sq feet to run :roll: .

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:37 pm

You could section off part of the run with on of your extra gate panels, you could leave it open until it was time to feed and then separate them while they eat.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

I too like to kennel my dogs separately. One being the dominance issue [ I know this can be dealt with ] and the other thing is that I use feeding as a training opportunity. It is just easier and less work for me to have them separated.

I think a good setup would be to have the kennels petitioned for each dog, with a fence going around the outside of the kennels where they could run and play. They would still need to be taken out for proper exercise though.

Anyway sj, thanks for sharing. You make me feel a little lazy though. When you get bored, you find work to do, when I get bored I try to find something fun that doesn't involve work. :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:46 pm

[quote="Ron R
Tall Boy wrote:The way I would do it is put the non-dominant dogs food down first and stop any reaction of the dominant dog to eat it. Once he has started feed the dominant dog and wait there until she is finished, stopping any reaction towards the other dog.
sjkennels wrote:my pointer is a really slow eater.
I believe he stated that the non-dominate dog does'nt wolf her food down.[/quote]

The whole idea is for the dominant dog to finish first, thus getting another oppurtunity for a correction meaning at least two corrections per feeding time.

Yes the pen may not be for exercies, but didn't we fight a war for freedom? :) The more room they have to run around the happier and less crazed a dog will be. Less nervous energy is a wonder for curing nagging little behavioral problems. Also, even if the dogs were separated, it is a good idea to address this lapse in command! It will lead to improvement on other aspects of the dog's life, as well as the owner's.

It is best, especially in a large kennel like mine, to have every dog in a separate run. But I have a lot of "never were" dogs that the previous guy rescued and tried to finish, but never panned out. So right now as I'm waiting for my new kennel to be finished I have 5 pairs of dogs doubled up. It's not real good in the South Alabama heat, but I have no other option, and life is much easier in this dynamic if there is no question who runs the show!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:03 pm

IMO nothing good can come from kenneling dogs together.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Tall Boy wrote:. So right now as I'm waiting for my new kennel to be finished I have 5 pairs of dogs doubled up. It's not real good in the South Alabama heat, but I have no other option
I also have had to double them up for a short time and I hated it. I'm fully aware that behavior problems can be corrected, I just don't see the point to correcting something that can be avoided completely. That little amount of space really makes very little difference. I just think that the better advise would be to keep them in thier own 10x10 kennel and fence in the back yard or a section of it. How's does that old saying go "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Tall Boy wrote:It is best, especially in a large kennel like mine, to have every dog in a separate run.

It is always best when possible regardless of the size of a persons kennel operation. From your last statement it seems that you agree with me "it is best" :D .

Sean, when you get bored instead of complicating your yard, just go to the store and grab an 18 pack of Bud Light and some pork streaks and brauts :wink: :lol: . BTW, don't be letting Bella whoop up on poor Little Bee and take her food. She is small enough as it is and she really needs her food, maybe she will get bigger :lol: . Good Luck

Ron

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:59 pm

haha, yea you got me...but that's not what he asked!

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:19 pm

well im gonna leave it the way it is they seem to really enjoy playing with each other. but i am going to put one of my extra panels with a gate in there where i can separate them during feeding time. and ron i already went this afternoon and grabbed a thirty of bud light while me and a few buddies fixed up my camper :lol: gotta say on a hot day the beer tasted pretty good. and i dont think old bee is going to get any bigger then what she is :lol:
kick'em up knock'em down

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Wow Sj,,, your taking alot of flak for trying to give your dogs and nice big run. I personally just don't see where it is that big of deal. I've seen (video) Ross C. kennel 25 of them together,,,, DgF kennels 4 in 1,,, I do the same. Only difference we call them play yards,,, bottom line,,, we do what we think is best with what we got.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:30 am

Don't pay any attention the the internet experts what you have is great and will work out fine...the only 2 on here that have posted anything worth while was DgFavor and Heaton they have a little more experience than the rest combined.. :wink:

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:49 am

Rich Heaton wrote:Wow Sj,,, your taking alot of flak
It was surely not my intent to give anybody any flak and I felt that me and tall boy were having a harmless discusion regarding 1 or more dogs per kennel. I may have come off overly concerned because I raised and trained the dog in question for the first 16 months of her life and I don't want her getting bullied.
dudleysmith wrote:Don't pay any attention the the internet experts what you have is great and will work out fine...the only 2 on here that have posted anything worth while was DgFavor and Heaton they have a little more experience than the rest combined.. :wink:

So... you insult everybody that posted with absolute non-sense and finished it off with a kiss a$$ session. Nobody claimed to be an expert and nobody questioned DgFavor and Rich Heaton's experience.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:23 pm

dudleysmith wrote:Don't pay any attention the the internet experts what you have is great and will work out fine...the only 2 on here that have posted anything worth while was DgFavor and Heaton they have a little more experience than the rest combined.. :wink:
Pointing dogs are gritty by nature. No matter how well dogs are "trained not to fight" there will be a time, when no one is around, they will find a reason to get it on. You can't watch them 24-7's. There is no reason to put them in that position.

My Dad started letting me take my own shotgun bird hunting when I was 9 but I had bird dogs even before then. I will be 62 in September and I can't remember a time in my life when I did not have a dog.

The arrogance of your post is offensive at best.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 pm

I don't think anybody here intended to give sj flak over this, the discussion just got off topic as it often does. I am offended when I or anybody gives an opinion and somebody says we think we are experts because of it. Nobody here has claimed to be an expert, but many of us have enough experience to know what works best. Most anybody that has experience kenneling dogs will tell you, that given a choice, it would be better to kennel them separately. I agree with highcotton, that you sir, have made an arrogant and offensive post here.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way