American cocker spaniels

Hondo

American cocker spaniels

Post by Hondo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Growing up my family always had American cocker spaniels. I have read in the past that American cocker spaniels have as a breed have been ruined for hunting purposes. I guess there are no to very few American cocker spaniels that have been breed with hunting as the sole purpose. As a consequence most of the cocker spaniels have no hunting instics, have way too much feathering, and have basically been breed as show dogs.

Does anyone hunt with American cocker spaniels? Anyone have any pictures that show the difference between show and field?

Growing up I always wanted to have a large dog, so I was never a huge cocker spaniel fan. However, as I became interested in hunting and later hunting dogs I became more aware of the proud heritage that American cocker spaniels descended from.

I might be mistaken but I thought I read in the last few years that there are a few dedicated American cocker spaniel enthusiasts that are trying to breed and re-introduce the field lines.

-Hondo

FLocker

Re: American cocker spaniels

Post by FLocker » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:59 pm

There are a few people out there who are trying, yes. I think one earned a MH last year. But my guess is they are facing an uphill battle, and I don't know why they make the effort, honestly.

Field-bred English Cockers have retained working traits all along. There is an active trial scene, and these 20-30 lb dogs make as excellent an upland flush/retrieve dog as any breed out there.