I think I'll survive.

rapid fire

I think I'll survive.

Post by rapid fire » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:51 am

Y'all be sure to check yourselves and your dogs for ticks. I got bit just below the right knee about two weeks ago and about 5 days ago, I started feeling bad. Well, by yesterday, I had a 102* fever, swollen glands in my groin, pain in all my joints and muscles and a headache that beat all I had ever felt. I ended up at the doctor and after 24 hours of rest and some doxycyclin, I think I will survive. We don't know exactly which disease I contracted, but I can guarantee you that you don't want it. Please be sure to check yourself and your dogs. Brenda, from Walnut Hills Kennels, contracted Ehrlichiosis a few weeks ago from a tick and it put her in the hospital, so please be careful.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: I think I'll survive.

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:08 am

Hope you get doing better. Amazing how such a little creature can stir up so much trouble. I just came back from a quick walk with the dog and got into my office ,sitting here and feel something, two ticks. I have been bitten three times this year. They have been worse this year than any other I can remeber. Time to bring back DDT or something. So far been lucky.

Hope you and Brenda do well.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 am

Glad they got you on the drug fast. Symptoms sound like mine. I am still tiring out very fast, occasionally get chills and headache. But much better.
brenda

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:57 am

Yeah, I felt a lot better this morning and worked the dogs for about 15 min and I was wiped out. I will be hitting the sack here in just a few.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Hope you start to feel better.

I got bit year before last, took me awhile to figure out something was wrong, thought i had the flu....well another week went by and there was the tell tail bullseye....I was deep in its grip by then and do not doubt I might have died if it went on much longer. Nasty stuff and seems to affect everyone a little different. I still have some symptoms and trouble but all and all I am ok, probably about time for me to get checked out once again...tick borne diseases are insidious.

Good luck to you, hope you fully recover.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 pm

I was blessed with a body chemistry that attracts ticks and chiggers. On group outings I am often the only one who gets ticks. I have been bitten dozens, probably even hundreds of times if I count the times I have been covered by what we call "seed ticks" here in the South. I was lucky for years that none of the ones that bit me were carriers.

Then about 5 years ago my luck ran out. Like others have said, I first thought I was getting the flu. Aching and high fever and terrible headaches. On my first visit to the DR he just happened to notice the bite on neck. If not for him asking me about the bite I would have never thought to tell him and early treatment would have not been possible. It still took three months for me to get my strength back and was a full year before I felt completely normal again. I now buy Deep Woods Off by the case.

My point is if you feel bad and have to see the DR be sure to tell him/her if you have had a tick bite within the last several weeks. Although I got very sick, early treatment kept me out of the hospital.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:10 pm

My experience was very similar cotton, I was beginning to think I was Immune....that quickly changed as in your case.

It only takes one of those nasty lil stinkers. Took me about 8 weeks to recover fully, but now Im starting to wonder if thats
the case....been having jjoint and back pain and fatigue.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GSPlover

Post by GSPlover » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Anytime Im going to be out in the woods during tick season I spray my clothes with Permethrin. The stuff works great. Ive yet to get bit since Ive been useing it. I turkey hunt alot in Georgia in the spring. The deer ticks down there are horrible. I once found like a dozen or more at one time crawling on my clothing, until I started spraying with Permethrin, now I hardley ever see a tick. I also wear Cabelas bug underwear. Its tight fitting and not to hot. If a tick does get up your pants it cant get to your skin. The Permethrin on your clothes works MUCH better than Deet products.

asc

Post by asc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:50 pm

I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever back in 1975, SW Ga. doctors didn't even think about that, even though I showed them the bite. Ten days in the hospital for that one. Last Sept. had a tick on my back, within a week, high fever, chills, and bad muscle aches. Doc said systemic infection from tick bite, Doxycycline took care of it. Ticks are nasty little buggers. Always do a tick check (better with a friend :D ). Glad you're doing ok.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:43 pm

knock on wood havent got sick yet but i shure have found a ton of ticks on me and the dogs
this year. still dont think front line helps with ticks works great for fleas though.
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Sorry to hear you and other have been bit.

We have a ton of ticks up here and I have, knock on wood, yet to be bit. My dogs, on the other hand have been bit even with regular frontline plus application April - November. I even had one end up with Anaplasmosis from a deer tick. Nasty and almost lost the dog.

I now go to frontline plus and add the bio spot spray when running in tick-heavy woods.

I have seen this for myself but not tried it:

http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Medicin ... rmula.html

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:33 pm

rapid fire wrote:Y'all be sure to check yourselves and your dogs for ticks. I got bit just below the right knee about two weeks ago and about 5 days ago, I started feeling bad. Well, by yesterday, I had a 102* fever, swollen glands in my groin, pain in all my joints and muscles and a headache that beat all I had ever felt. I ended up at the doctor and after 24 hours of rest and some doxycyclin, I think I will survive. We don't know exactly which disease I contracted, but I can guarantee you that you don't want it. Please be sure to check yourself and your dogs. Brenda, from Walnut Hills Kennels, contracted Ehrlichiosis a few weeks ago from a tick and it put her in the hospital, so please be careful.
if your on Doxycycline make sure your careful of how much sun you get it can produce a pretty nasty side affect. I would know.

Check yourselves regularly it takes about 48 hours for the spirochete to be transmitted just be very vigilant.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN