is there a grand slam in bird hunting

sjkennels

is there a grand slam in bird hunting

Post by sjkennels » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:31 pm

i was wondering and this is probably a really stupid question. but is there a grand slam in bird hunting? i know there is a grand slam and world slam with turkeys.
kick'em up knock'em down

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: is there a grand slam in bird hunting

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:37 am

I am not sure but, I always wanted to do what I would call a Grand Slam Grouse bag. Ruffs, Blues, Sage, (Spruce, They are kind of dumb around here and protected), Sharpies, Tarmagin, over seas in Ireland, or Scottland THe Red Grouse. Won't ever get to but that was my dream year.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:57 am

I hope not.

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:17 am

I always thought it would be considered a grand slam of bird hunting if a guy could limit on grouse, pheasant and qual the same day. If a guy could find the right place up in the north west part of NE is could be done.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:07 am

What about a grand slam for Quail? Bobwhite and Blue Scaled Quail in Southeastern New Mexico then move over to the Southwestern Mountains for Gambels and Mearns. I know it leaves out the California Valley or Mountain Quail but nothings perfect and getting 4 species in a day of Quail could be considered a grand slam.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 am

SJ,
Don't know about other parts of the country but here if you shoot your limit of Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasant in one day you pretty much have what these mountain men call a bird slam, does not happen very often. When my Grandfather was a young man they tried to shoot kind of a wild bird slam, Grouse, Mountain Quail
and Woodcock, the Mountain Quail are extinct now however.

RGD/Dave

Daisy after the kind of day most bird hunters dream of.

Once had some fool on another sight accuse me of trying to sell my dogs by posting this picture, and telling the story of the hunt.
Just so everyone understands we do not take clients from the internet, ever.
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 am

Ruffshooter wrote:I am not sure but, I always wanted to do what I would call a Grand Slam Grouse bag. Ruffs, Blues, Sage, (Spruce, They are kind of dumb around here and protected), Sharpies, Tarmagin, over seas in Ireland, or Scottland THe Red Grouse. Won't ever get to but that was my dream year.
Ruff, You could pull off the first five(Ruff, Blue, Spruce, Sage and Sharptail) on a weekend in Idaho, if they don't change the season on sage hen this year. The best I ever did was pheasant, hun, chukar, valley quail and ruff grouse in one day.

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:23 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:the Mountain Quail are extinct now however.
Where did you get this information?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 am

jkoehler wrote:I always thought it would be considered a grand slam of bird hunting if a guy could limit on grouse, pheasant and qual the same day. If a guy could find the right place up in the north west part of NE is could be done.
I have limited on quail, Prairie chicken, and pheasant in the same day twice. One time the day I limited on those upland species, I also shot 5 mallards. They were thick around the potholes, and every time I would take my dogs to cool of in a pond, ducks would jump up in range. :D To limit on all three, it is much easier if you are hunting alone. All the cards have to fall just right. :wink:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:18 am

fishvik wrote:Ruff, You could pull off the first five(Ruff, Blue, Spruce, Sage and Sharptail) on a weekend in Idaho,
I have been trying to convince the wife to go to Idaho for a visit just to see if we fit. No luck yet, Maybe some day I can make at least a hunt trip.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:50 am

Casper wrote:
Ryman Gun Dog wrote:the Mountain Quail are extinct now however.
Where did you get this information?

:D
Obviously, from the Potter County traditional grapevine and the old Man of the Mountains.

While, as stated, I would hope there would never be a recognized slam, especially in grouse hunting, for the competitiveness and upmanship that always follows, each grouse or gamebird has it's own panache that would be great fun to experience.
I was lucky enough to shoot red grouse in Scotland, and came far too close in potting a black grouse, to not understand the appeal of following a birddog's tail to all gamebirds.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:13 am

i guess that would make sense is if you could limit out on every bird that was in season. where ever you are hunting would be considered a bird slam. bad thing for me is i have only seen 6 prairie chickens in the 16 years that i have been hunting.
kick'em up knock'em down

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Casper,
The Pa Mountain Quail are extinct, I believe the article was in the Pa Game news long ago, along with being on display at the Carnegie Museum. Some of the last known birds are actually mounted with Count Noble and were shot just north of Pittsburgh where the Count was kept for many years. The birds in the museum were actually shot over him on the farm near the SGL.
The entire story was on display with Count Noble in the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh, Pa before the ultra libs took it over, and stored the Count in the basement, then donating him to the Bird dog Museum. A very big loss for the sportsman in the Pittsburgh area, a great gain for Tenn however.

RGD/Dave

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Casper,
The Pa Mountain Quail are extinct
Okay, I thought you might have been refering to the western mtn quail. I was unaware there was a different specie now extinct. To my knowledge this pic is of the only mtn quail I know of. Maybe you can come up with an image of this now extinct bird?

cody

Post by cody » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 pm

My version is bagging 4 different species in one day. I have hit the triple a few times but never closed it out, maybe this year.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:52 am

Casper,
No pictures for ya, however if you get to Tenn visit the museum and look at the Quail mounted flying around Count Noble. They are similar to Bob whites just a different coloring and slighly bigger. They were actually native to the state of Pa.
SJ, did not mean to side track or hi-jack the thread, with this stuff.
RGD/Dave

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:18 am

Just north of me about 50 miles in Morton County Kansas up around Elkhart, Kansas they have what the call the Morton County Grand Slam. It consists of Pheasant, Quail, and Prairie Chicken.