Dog Boxes

jhorak

Dog Boxes

Post by jhorak » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:15 am

Hey, I'm looking for some opinions on dog boxes. I have two English Cockers, on is about 30 lbs, the other is still a pup, but will mature somewhere around 35 pounds. Right now I just use cheap crates for them, but I'd like to invest in a nicer dog box. I'm driving a Honda Ridgeline, which has a trunk underneath the bed of the trunk. In order to leave the trunk still functional with the box in the truck, the dimensions need to be about 49"X21". This would leave each compartment about 21"x24". Because of the size (does that sound too small for a cocker?), I need to have the box custom made. I'm looking for something that's cool in the summer but warm enough in the winter that I won't have to worry about them if I take them on a few hour drive in cold temperatures (I live in Iowa). I have gotten quotes from http://www.northstarplasticsinc.com/index and from another guy who makes a kennel out of aluminum compound. The plastic kennel would run about $500 with vinyl vent covers. The aluminum would run about $225. Anyone out there have any words of advice to give me? I really don't know anything about the best materials, sizes, etc. Any recommendations on where to look?

Shadow

Re: Dog Boxes

Post by Shadow » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:07 pm

build one yourself- take measurments, use 3/8" or 1/2" plywood- 1"x1" reinforcement at the edges and corners- use screws, use a sealer- works for a dog box, kennel, plus many other usesImageImage
ImageG]Image

I'm going to make a bigger one as my Escape has more room and the pups have grown